Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amish mutation protects against diabetes

The Caspian Hare

NEW YORK: Amish people living in a rural part of Indiana have a rare genetic mutation that protects them from Type 2 diabetes and appears to significantly extend their life spans, according to a new study.

The findings, published in the journal Science Advances, shed light on the processes underlying cellular ageing and could lead to new therapies for chronic diseases, some experts say.

The researchers are planning at least one follow-up trial that will recreate the effects of the mutation, so they can study its impact on obese people with insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/health/amish-mutation-protects-against-diabetes-and-may-extend-life-9414296

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting. I lived in rural Indiana for a few years. The Amish people there do grow really old and there are a lot of them. This explains a lot.

Another aspect of Amish life: They don't live in our rat race society. No smartphones, no cars, no TV's filling their heads with nonsense, no doctors telling them they will live to be a certain age, no social media swearing at them and insulting them. Not to mention, they don't eat processed foods filled with chemicals. Many look at them as backward and wonder how they can live like that, but they maybe smarter than all of us. One thing, you can be happy in life without all the trappings of modern society. I grew up without cell phones, the internet, etc...and I can tell you, it was a much happier time.