Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Big earthquakes to occur more often in 2018

UM-Bot

1 minute ago, godnodog said:

I live in an area susceptible to big earthquakes, the great earthquake of Lisbon1755 keeps coming to mind.

That's a scary thought. 

Who is it that they want us to throw money at to avoid this? I'm sure we will hear in the near future who and how much they will need.
Doesn't Al Gore have a son or two?
Sarcasm people, sarcasm.

• Like 1

What are the chances of the San Andreas fault going off in reality? is it on par with all these 'Yellowstone about to blow' junk articles or is it a genuine possibility in the near future?.

Good thing i'm safe, there hasn't been an earthquake in my country since... well ever, there has been no recorded case of an earthquake happening here, youp one of those extremely sturdy tectonic formations... say for future reference is there a word tectonic shield in English because thats how the word for that formation would seemingly translate from my language in to English

2 hours ago, _KB_ said:

Good thing i'm safe, there hasn't been an earthquake in my country since... well ever, there has been no recorded case of an earthquake happening here, youp one of those extremely sturdy tectonic formations... say for future reference is there a word tectonic shield in English because thats how the word for that formation would seemingly translate from my language in to English

In English we normally just call them Shields :)    

Small earthquakes can still occur in sheld areas, but big ones are rare.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 7:09 AM, Woodwose said:

What are the chances of the San Andreas fault going off in reality? is it on par with all these 'Yellowstone about to blow' junk articles or is it a genuine possibility in the near future?.

The big difference between the San Andreas and Yellowstone is that the San Andreas fault will rupture and Yellowstone might erupt. I lived in So. Cal for over 20 years and I have a good friend who is a professor at Cal Tech. There will absolutely be a major earthquake soon along the San Andreas. The problem is with the word "soon". In geologic terms that could mean decades. 

Edited by Calibeliever
typos
  • Like 3

I remember the Great British Quake of February 2008. It occurred late at night and was felt throughout almost the whole country. It sure was big - I was at my next door neighbour Stuart's flat drinking copious amounts of Carling when his whole living room shook. It was surreal. I heard rumbling and saw his giant yucca shaking. I realised it must have been an earthquake. I then looked at Stuart and mentioned it to him, but he was so drunk he didn't even realise there was an earthquake. He didn't notice it. I spoke to my mum the next day and she thought it has been a poltergeist making the objects in her bedroom move.

Edited by Black Monk

The earth will answer when it is time.

On 25/11/2017 at 4:21 PM, ChaosRose said:

Rubbish. Why doesn't coal mining cause earthquakes?

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

Rubbish. Why doesn't coal mining cause earthquakes?

You do know that fracking and coal mining work in quite different way, don't you ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

You do know that fracking and coal mining work in quite different way, don't you ?

You do know that "fracking causes earthquakes" is just another myth being peddled about, such as Global Warming and rising sea levels?

What gets me is that it's environmentalists and their Lefty supporters who keep peddling the "fracking causes earthquake" myths even whilst geologists dismiss it.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/02/geologist-fracking-doesnt-cause-damaging-earthquakes-video/

Edited by Black Monk

17 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

You do know that "fracking causes earthquakes" is just another myth being peddled about, such as Global Warming and rising sea levels?

What gets me is that it's environmentalists and their Lefty supporters who keep peddling the "fracking causes earthquake" myths even whilst geologists dismiss it.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/02/geologist-fracking-doesnt-cause-damaging-earthquakes-video/

I simply pointed out that you can't compare frakking and coal mining, as they use completely different techniques. Don't you agree with that ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I simply pointed out that you can't compare frakking and coal mining, as they use completely different techniques. Don't you agree with that ?

Not really.

Did you know that when coalmining first started there were fears - similar to those shared by anti-frackers, most of whom know nothing about fracking - that the drilling would cause water supplies to be contaminated, fears that were to prove unfounded?

21 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Not really.

Did you know that when coalmining first started there were fears - similar to those shared by anti-frackers, most of whom know nothing about fracking - that the drilling would cause water supplies to be contaminated, fears that were to prove unfounded?

Really?   And what drills werre they using back then?|

As for fracking not causing earthquakes, that's a technicality.  It's the injection of wastewater, a consequence of fracking, that causes earthquakes.   Wastewater injection for any purposes causes earthquakes.  

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php

The idea that human activity causes earthquakes is therefore on a par with the similar ideas that human activity is causing climate change (including, but not exclusively, global warming) and sea level rises.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 7:09 AM, Woodwose said:

The chances of either the San Andreas and/or the Cascadia Fault releasing a big one are pretty high, maybe even the New Madrid Fault.  But we'd have about 40 years' warning about Yellowstone and as there isn't any evidence (other than an earthquake swarm that may be nothing out of the ordinary) that anything is happening there.  As I don't expect to live long enough to see it, I'm not going to worry about it.

Doug 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 11:05 AM, Black Monk said:

Not really.

I have seen streams polluted with yellow-boy in southeast Kentucky.  Contamination of water supplies actually happened.  Those fears were well-founded.

Doug

• Like 3