Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man to launch himself in home-made rocket

Still Waters

Edited by toast

'Mad' Mike Hughes cancels rocket launch to prove Earth is flat

A man who believes Earth is flat, and was ready to launch himself from a rocket in California on Saturday afternoon to prove it, has canceled his plans. At least for now.

Not having the required federal permits plus mechanical problems with his "motorhome/rocket launcher" forced self-taught rocket scientist "Mad" Mike Hughes to put his experiment on hold.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) "told me they would not allow me to do the event ... at least not at that location," Hughes said in a YouTube announcement, amid international attention over his plans to launch into the 'atmosflat.'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/11/25/mad-mike-hughes-cancels-rocket-launch-prove-earth-flat/894762001/

• Like 1

What a letdown.

To make up for this disappointment, I announce my plan to drill into the hollow EArth and make contact with the crab civillization there. I need half a million dollars to construct my boring machine / craft (patent pending), and another two hundred thousand to hire Blackwater mercenaries for security against hostile life forms & tribes of cannibal troglodytes. Any donation over fifty US dollars gets you my custom, stylish "Hare-Brained Scheme" T-shirt or duffel bag.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, The Russian Hare said:

What a letdown.

To make up for this disappointment, I announce my plan to drill into the hollow EArth and make contact with the crab civillization there. I need half a million dollars to construct my boring machine / craft (patent pending), and another two hundred thousand to hire Blackwater mercenaries for security against hostile life forms & tribes of cannibal troglodytes. Any donation over fifty US dollars gets you my custom, stylish "Hare-Brained Scheme" T-shirt or duffel bag.

:lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

What a letdown.

Does it really have to be boring ? Can't you make it more exiting somehow ?

:rolleyes:

• Like 3

On 11/22/2017 at 6:18 PM, WoIverine said:

Not sure why he's even bothering, don't you need to go much higher to see the Earth's curve? Dr. Google says 35,000 feet. This guy's only going 1800.

But the point is -is it not - that having got to 1800 feet he can categorically claim the earth is flat. After all he went up 1800 feet and it looked flat to him.

Persoanlly I can't understand why he just didn't book  a window seat on a commercial flight - a lot cheaper and safer.

• Like 2

This is just one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.  It's so dumb, I'm guessing "Mad Mike" doesn't give a rip about flat earth; he just wants to go on another thrill ride in his suicide machine.  He's an adrenaline junkie.  

PS.  People have flown drones higher than 11,000 feet, so 1,800 feet just isn't going to get the job done.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Guyver said:

This is just one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.  It's so dumb, I'm guessing "Mad Mike" doesn't give a rip about flat earth; he just wants to go on another thrill ride in his suicide machine.  He's an adrenaline junkie.  

PS.  People have flown drones higher than 11,000 feet, so 1,800 feet just isn't going to get the job done.  

Everybody on an airliner is above 30k feet, this is simply absurd but the fraud got what he wanted, millions of views and therefore a LOT of dollars.  I applaud his entrepreneurship and people need to educate their children better so they question these ignorant fools and embarrass them. 

• Like 2

On 24/11/2017 at 11:11 PM, Nnicolette said:

Well neither did einstien but...

Einstein had an IQ of 160

That's sufficient to tie a shoelace

To believe a flat earth theory I figure ones IQ would be about ten points under the IQ of a shoelace.

So yeah nahhhhh

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Einstein had an IQ of 160

That's sufficient to tie a shoelace

To believe a flat earth theory I figure ones IQ would be about ten points under the IQ of a shoelace.

So yeah nahhhhh

Well, she was abducted by grays while spraying vinegar at chemtrails sooo.....  It was a multidimensional thing.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

To me, the sad part about this is that no matter how ridiculous his "experiment" is (ascertaining curvature at 1800 feet... Or even 18000 feet) there will be those who consider it to be "proof" of a flat earth even though his altitude will be far, far too low to see the curvature.

So, not only has he twisted Reality in his own mind (the earth is flat), but has also twisted the altitude requirements to prove his theory (1800 feet)

Most bizarre.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Well, she was abducted by grays while spraying vinegar at chemtrails sooo.....  It was a multidimensional thing.

:lol::tu:

A little explanation goes a long way!

10 hours ago, pallidin said:

To me, the sad part about this is that no matter how ridiculous his "experiment" is (ascertaining curvature at 1800 feet... Or even 18000 feet) there will be those who consider it to be "proof" of a flat earth even though his altitude will be far, far too low to see the curvature.

So, not only has he twisted Reality in his own mind (the earth is flat), but has also twisted the altitude requirements to prove his theory (1800 feet)

Most bizarre.

Those who take his word for it would be as stupid, if not stupider than he is. Photography can well illustrate the curvature of the earth as do signals that require line of sight transmitters and receivers, we can only send them by calculating the curvature of the earth and working with the curvature.

I doubt he really is as stupid as he makes out, he is just an attention seeker who does not mind acting the fool to get the attention.

• Like 2

This is just so mind-blowingly stupid. Everything about it. I'm hardly surprised that it's been cancelled. This is such an obvious cash grab and campaign for fame. First off, there are far easier and cheaper (not to mention safer) ways to get much farther up into the air. Second of all... If these idiots seriously think that there's been a massive coverup, then why do they think he'd be allowed to do this at all? Why haven't mysterious men in suits shown up at his door and forbidden him from building the rocket in the first place?

Honestly, people just have no common sense.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bunzilla said:

This is just so mind-blowingly stupid. Everything about it. I'm hardly surprised that it's been cancelled. This is such an obvious cash grab and campaign for fame. First off, there are far easier and cheaper (not to mention safer) ways to get much farther up into the air. Second of all... If these idiots seriously think that there's been a massive coverup, then why do they think he'd be allowed to do this at all? Why haven't mysterious men in suits shown up at his door and forbidden him from building the rocket in the first place?

Honestly, people just have no common sense.

They are mind-numbingly ignorant people but I think this guy is laughing all the way to the bank.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Merc14 said:

They are mind-numbingly ignorant people but I think this guy is laughing all the way to the bank.  

His failure speaks volumes though. 

Only flat earth supporters will turn a blind eye to that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On December 4th his rocket apparently fell off the back of the vehicle carrying it or something similar and was damaged! :lol:

Still not launched as far as I can tell.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Update:

Flat-earth rocket pilot on February launch: I expect 'more viewers than the Super Bowl'

http://www.phillyvoice.com/flat-earth-rocket-pilot-on-february-launch-i-expect-more-viewers-than-the-super-bowl/

• Like 1