Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man to launch himself in home-made rocket

Still Waters

A limousine driver turned self-taught scientist has announced plans to launch himself over a California ghost town in a home-made rocket.

Mike Hughes, who calls himself Mad Mike Hughes and says he doesn't believe in science, has spent years building his own steam-powered rocket in his garage.

The 61-year-old saved money from his $15-an-hour driving job and has spent $20,000 (£15,000) on the project, including the purchase of a $1,500 motorhome bought on Craigslist which he will attach the launch pad to.

Mr Hughes says he is the only man in history to design, build, and launch himself in a rocket, which he has made using mainly scrap parts.

https://news.sky.com/story/self-taught-rocket-scientist-mad-mike-hughes-announces-launch-over-california-ghost-town-11135430

• Like 7

he says he doesnt believe in science....twice in the article......

hmmm,,,

well anyway, best of luck to him, tho I wont hold my breath on his success

• Like 8

What could possibly go wrong here ? :rolleyes:

• Like 6

I hope Lil Chubby Kimmy doesn't kidnap him ...

~

• Like 7

I'm sure this is not safe. Isn't this sort of thing regulated by the FAA? I can't imagine for one moment that it's legal.

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I'm sure this is not safe. Isn't this sort of thing regulated by the FAA? I can't imagine for one moment that it's legal.

I wouldnt be to concerned about a steam powered rocket tbh

• Like 3

They need to send him on a trip to the moon with just enough fuel to get there.

• Like 4

Can't we just sling shot him out of orbit towards the moon ?

That'll save a couple of more millions at least ...

~

• Like 2

theres a reason.....that even NASA dont use steam powered rockets

With luck he will at least get a Darwin award

• Like 6

"For his launch at the weekend, which people will be able to see on internet pay-per-view, he plans to reach an altitude of about 1,800ft before pulling two parachutes."

So he spent 20k just to reach an altitude of just over half a kilometre. Does he think he's going to bump into the glass dome?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

"For his launch at the weekend, which people will be able to see on internet pay-per-view, he plans to reach an altitude of about 1,800ft before pulling two parachutes."

So he spent 20k just to reach an altitude of just over half a kilometre. Does he think he's going to bump into the glass dome?

Exactly.... now....this guy went higher for very little money

Lawrence "Larry" Richard Walters (April 19, 1949 – October 6, 1993), nicknamed "Lawnchair Larry" or the "Lawn Chair Pilot", was an American truck driver[1] who took flight on July 2, 1982, in a homemade airship. Dubbed Inspiration I, the "flying machine" consisted of an ordinary patio chair with 45 helium-filled weather balloons attached to it. Walters rose to an altitude of over 15,000 feet (4,600 m) and floated from his point of origin in San Pedro, California, into controlled airspace near Los Angeles International Airport. His flight was widely reported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Walters

• Like 8

I gotta give it to him on this one ... for 20K that's one 'ell of a ride ... :lol:

~

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I gotta give it to him on this one ... for 20K that's one 'ell of a ride ... :lol:

~

For 20 grand I would stick him in my Meeting's pumpkin chunking trebuchet. He'd probably get further.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Piney said:

For 20 grand I would stick him in my Meeting's pumpkin chunking trebuchet. He'd probably get further.

Well ... he did put his thing-a-ma-bob jig together himself ... :lol:

~

• Like 2

He can achieve a higher altitude in a hot air balloon.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, seeder said:

theres a reason.....that even NASA dont use steam powered rockets

With luck he will at least get a Darwin award

actually that's more or less how spacecraft maneuvering thrusters work, by emitting chemically generated bursts of steam. it's to do with action and reaction. The question is though, whether it would be able to produce enough thrust to overcome gravity (even to the modest height expected) in non-zero G conditions. Though even he's not hoping to attain escape velocity, at least.

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

actually that's more or less how spacecraft maneuvering thrusters work, by emitting chemically generated bursts of steam. it's to do with action and reaction.

But he isnt trying to manoeuvre in space, he is trying to lift off

heres how the rest of the world does it, steam dont burn!!

nn20131108a1a.jpg

Edited by seeder

well, he may or may not fly as intended, i would not be too sure of either

here is a video of a plane that 13 year old kid build,  before seeing it, i would not believe this was possible with normal configuration plane, yet it is.

and i have been building \flying rc\cl planes since i'm 10, i still do it with kids, hopefully i can get a plan of this one and we can build one just like that

Edited by aztek
  • Like 4

Just now, seeder said:

But he isnt trying to manoeuvre in space, he is trying to lift off

that is how all rockets take off, a rocket engine is basically a huge  truster. steam rockets are nothing new, they go back hundreds of years, they never caught on, since oxygen and hydrogen mix, or even gun power work a lot better

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, aztek said:

well, he may or may not fly as intended, i would not be too sure of either

here is a video of a plane that 13 year old kid build,  before seeing it, i would not believe this was possible with normal configuration plane, yet it is.

and i have been building \flying rc\cl planes since i'm 10, i still do it with kids, hopefully i can get a plan of this one and we can build one just like that

What does any of that have to do with building and flying a rocket?

"He says he has put out enough food for his four cats in case anything goes wrong."

I hope that's one big pile of cat food.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

"He says he has put out enough food for his four cats in case anything goes wrong."

I hope that's one big pile of cat food.

On the other hand I hope the kitties fully understands the sentiment ...

~

Edited by third_eye
page break
  • Like 2

Just now, Rlyeh said:

What does any of that have to do with building and flying a rocket?

nothing that you need to concern yourself about, move along, nothing to see here.