Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dear David: Documenting the ghost in my Apt.

rashore

I've come across this one a few times now in my random spooky wanderings. Started in August, it's an odd creepy-pasta/old school youtube ghosts sort of feel story set in a series of twitter posts, photos, and videos. Methinks perhaps this might be more on the UL side rather than "truer haunts".. but it makes for a fun ghost story. And it really is a nice documentation effect- if only more folks experiencing things kept such a nice up to date journal.

https://storify.com/moby_d********/dear-david

• Like 5

Yeah I heard about this a few months back too.  

I'm still not totally sure what to make of it.

He's a successful cartoonist that sometimes posts about his ongoing ghost problem.

Who knows....

That was creepy. But it might be the Twitter version of "The Blair Witch"

• Like 1

Yea cool story but I doubt its real. The girl asking about the kid in the store kinda gave it away for me. I mean seriously?

• Like 1

Well that was a fun read be it true or not!

Well, it sure was entertaining and sufficiently creepy. 

I agree though, on the Blair Witch bit.

It's a decent creepypasta but he kinda ruined it recently with a set of photos. 

https://twitter.com/moby_d********/status/927728358355619841/photo/1

"hey, not sure what to make of these photos". What? You mean the best evidence of ghost existence ever recorded? Yeah, just unceremoniously post them on Twitter, that's fine.

I went through all his posts before and caught some inconsistencies. I may watch them again at a later date simply to catalogue them. 

Pretty sure it’s a hoax. Maybe not a hoax exactly rather a work of fiction.

In one of his posts (tweets?) he claimed that every time he photographs his hallway the picture turned out black. He even made a video of him using a Polaroid camera and in the video you can see something near the lens that shouldn’t  be there. I’m familiar with this type of camera (my daughter has one) and that little tab sticking out on the side of the lens should not be there. In the same video he pans around the room and you can see a roll of black electrical tape on a table. 

8D45571A-7D9E-4EFF-A7A4-05F5F107A249.jpeg

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

Pretty sure it’s a hoax. Maybe not a hoax exactly rather a work of fiction.

In one of his posts (tweets?) he claimed that every time he photographs his hallway the picture turned out black. He even made a video of him using a Polaroid camera and in the video you can see something near the lens that shouldn’t  be there. I’m familiar with this type of camera (my daughter has one) and that little tab sticking out on the side of the lens should not be there. In the same video he pans around the room and you can see a roll of black electrical tape on a table. 

8D45571A-7D9E-4EFF-A7A4-05F5F107A249.jpeg

I don't doubt it. I mean, I could be wrong, but if you put electrical tape over the lens, the photo might come out black!

• 2 weeks later...

On November 28, he noticed something sticking out of the "hatch."  He took the pole he bought and pushed up on the hatch.  An old, worn, children's shoe fell down.  He then called his landlord who brought over a ladder to look in the crawlspace.  The only thing the landlord found there was a old marble.  He hasn't posted anything since. 

I don't know...looks faked to me...and creepy at the same time. I think the fact that he doesn't want anyone to investigate is suspicious. Makes me think he worries about being caught out. If you had something that creepy going on and were convinced it was trying to kill you, wouldn't you take any help you could get?

I lived in a apt that had a unwanted guest. This was back in the late 90's before everything could be easily documented. Also, it was the typical ghost movie cliche as it was located across the street from a cemetery. I know right. 

This person never tried to harm me but they did want to annoy me and let their presence be known. 

They would shut off my cd player constantly and yes, I had it looked at, it was new and didn't shut off when I took it with me to work. They would turn off lights. Turn off my tv. And on one occasion, I could smell them and it wasn't good. 

So I have had so many things happen that I barely bat an eye anymore when something new happens. I just think, someone else is here. 

13 hours ago, skliss said:

I don't know...looks faked to me...and creepy at the same time. I think the fact that he doesn't want anyone to investigate is suspicious. Makes me think he worries about being caught out. If you had something that creepy going on and were convinced it was trying to kill you, wouldn't you take any help you could get?

I think it's 100% fake. I mean this person created this story for the Internet. It is pretty popular right now, most of my students know about "dear david".

4 hours ago, Sooth Sayer said:

I lived in a apt that had a unwanted guest. This was back in the late 90's before everything could be easily documented. Also, it was the typical ghost movie cliche as it was located across the street from a cemetery. I know right. 

This person never tried to harm me but they did want to annoy me and let their presence be known. 

They would shut off my cd player constantly and yes, I had it looked at, it was new and didn't shut off when I took it with me to work. They would turn off lights. Turn off my tv. And on one occasion, I could smell them and it wasn't good. 

So I have had so many things happen that I barely bat an eye anymore when something new happens. I just think, someone else is here. 

Did you see him/her? How did you know it was a person. 

21 minutes ago, MrBene said:

Did you see him/her? How did you know it was a person. 

No I never did see anyone. I have to assume it was a person. Could've been something else but since I had no other evidence and no proof I will always just think it was a person. 

The only thing that might suggest otherwise was the time that all my power went out for about 10 seconds and I heard the banging of pots and pans come from my kitchen. When the lights came back on I went to my kitchen and nothing had been disturbed. I asked my neighbor the next day if his power went out the night before and he said no, he was up late and all was good. 

The other part was, I could smell a body oder in front of my bathroom sink. It wasn't me as I had just showered and my dirty clothes were in the laundry basket in my bed room. I checked the sink drain, no oder. I checked under the sink, no oder. I checked the toilet, nothing. But the oder was right at face level (5 ft. 6in. above the floor) while standing in front of my bathroom sink. Now, how could this be? In the middle of the day with no clogged drain and I had just washed myself. 

If you have any theories or explanations I'm open to hearing them. 

I have no explanations for that kind of stuff. A friend of mine had to leave her apartment because she said there was a "presence" during the night, she could smell it, it was a strong body smell, like someone who got out of the gym. She also experienced doors opening and closing and other objects making noise. I suggested her that it could be rats but that freaked her out even more, so she left after a couple of months.

Nice story, the complete lack of video and altered photos really take away a lot of the punch. I rate it meh.

• 3 months later...

The guy who started this used to (or still does) works for buzzfeed and he is also a novelist, so that makes me think that this is just a publicity stunt as he has a new book due to release sometime soon. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...