Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

This Gotta Stop Now

susieice

What is going on? It seems like the end of the year is going to be some sort of rush on celebrity deaths. Now it's Della Reese. What a voice! RIP Della.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-della-reese-20171120-story.html

• Like 4

This is a phenomenon that we note at the end of every year Susie. Noted people die at the same rate as they've always done.

That said, sleep well Della, you gave a lot of people joy.

• Like 3

It just seems like it started Friday and hasn't stopped since. 

• Like 2

We seem to have discussions like this every year though. It's largely based on our age.

I don't remember when Douglas Fairbanks or Lilian Gish died, though I'm sure my mother did.

The same way a young person is wondering who these people were and decades from now they'll be the ones noting the passing of Drake or Myley.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

We seem to have discussions like this every year though. It's largely based on our age.

I don't remember when Douglas Fairbanks or Lilian Gish died, though I'm sure my mother did.

The same way a young person is wondering who these people were and decades from now they'll be the ones noting the passing of Drake or Myley.

I think a big part is when we feel parts of our youth die with memories made while watching their movies or tv shows or listening to their songs.  

• Like 5

I read somewhere that (aside from violence or accidents) people are more likely to die near their birthdays or the end of the year... Almost as if the person tells them self "If I can just make to my birthday". Then they give up...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I think a big part is when we feel parts of our youth die with memories made while watching their movies or tv shows or listening to their songs.  

I think you hit the nail on the head. People that grew up with these actors/musicians have an attachment to them because they watched their movies and listened to their music. And when they pass, it makes us look at our mortality.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hawkin said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. People that grew up with these actors/musicians have an attachment to them because they watched their movies and listened to their music. And when they pass, it makes us look at our mortality.

n5TvZmP.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawkin said:

Yes. The last two years especially were musicians and actors I grew up listening to and watching. It does remind you that you are getting older yourself. Some of them were older when I watched them, but I know who they are. Many of the musicians, I listened to when I was in high school.

• Like 2

Yeah well...I hate to tell all you David Cassidy devotees....but....soon....

• Like 2

TV became very popular in the 70's and those folks are at the end of their lives.   Same with musicians.  

I'm still bummed at Tom Petty passing.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, joc said:

Yeah well...I hate to tell all you David Cassidy devotees....but....soon....

David Cassidy....dead at 67!

LinK

• Like 1

RiP Ms Reese ...

~

[00.06:25]

~

• Like 2