Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dyatlov Pass

LucidElement

Did anyone catch Josh Gates's Expedition Unknown two part episode? I didn't know there was a first part because I recorded the second episode and watched it. I'm watching the first episode now. I didn't know there was 9 hikers because I've only seen the same pictures of the dead hikers and there was a 10th that turned away! Wonder how he felt after learning the news of the others. I think the episode has caused to reopen the cold case. Lets hope it solves the mystery now.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Princess Serenity said:

Did anyone catch Josh Gates's Expedition Unknown two part episode? I didn't know there was a first part because I recorded the second episode and watched it. I'm watching the first episode now. I didn't know there was 9 hikers because I've only seen the same pictures of the dead hikers and there was a 10th that turned away! Wonder how he felt after learning the news of the others. I think the episode has caused to reopen the cold case. Lets hope it solves the mystery now.

I think I figured it out, there was no nature or a attack evidences ever proven  that knock their tent down.I believe they got into a fight collapsed  the tent and cut a way out in the dark . Went into the woods still fighting and separated,   but nature did kill them all by falling and Hypothermia:)

2 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

I think I figured it out, there was no nature or a attack evidences ever proven  that knock their tent down.I believe they got into a fight collapsed  the tent and cut a way out in the dark . Went into the woods still fighting and separated,   but nature did kill them all by falling and Hypothermia:)

That doesn't actually sound like a bad shout. They could've gone crazy or fought for food or what not and yea...the elements finished them off.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:20 PM, Bavarian Raven said:

I think this part of this youtube vid explains what happens to the hikers very well IMHO

If it was a big wind, their foots prints would have never been found :(

• Like 2

11 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

If it was a big wind, their foots prints would have never been found :(

Footprints were found in the sweedish incident - which mirrored the D. pass incident strangely similarly 

For anyone interested; in the UK news today....

"Creepy theories behind mutilated hikers' deaths as world's greatest mystery reopened"

"Together with journalists from Ruptly, a leading forensic expert, and local guides, Mirror Online invites you to review this ground-breaking video investigation.

"Decide for yourself - was it hypothermia or something far more sinister?"

At the UK Mirror: *snip*

Edited by Saru
Link removed due to graphic content

On 9/16/2019 at 7:20 PM, Bavarian Raven said:

I think this part of this youtube vid explains what happens to the hikers very well IMHO

Thanks for that Bavarian Raven. 

I find the Swedish team's explanation plausible on one hand, but quite lacking on the other. First, their belief in a strong wind erupting contras weather reports for the area, so that is pure speculation on quite likely, a wrongful one. 

But other glaring questions need to be answered and this theory does not address them at all.
If the team wanted to exit the tent, I would suggest that they would simply open the flap and leave! But they did not. They instead waited for someone to cut a hole in the rear of the tent for all to exit, *and*, while this operation was taking place, nobody thought to put on their heavy dress. This makes no sense at all.

Also, the Swedes theorize that the Dyatlov team covered the tent with snow to help it from blowing away...? Holy cow, why not just SIT in the tent and add some 2/3 of a ton of weight and stay warm inside in the process. The wood stove not yet being put together also shows that "falling temperatures" is simply a theory that defies the evidence.

There is much to be said too about the radiation and the injuries to the members in the ravine. Other people too, but I'll hold back on that. There have been exotic theories that attempt to explain why the campers left their tent before, such as infrasound, but they all fail to explain why the skiers left the tent through a hole that was cut in the tent (instead of going out the flap), and why they went out half dressed.

More than one person had burn marks on them and/or their clothing. There were also small trees that were burnt in the area, an issue that has been resolved, as the big trees next to the burnt small ones were not affected, leaving Ivanov to believe that it was a directed burning. But by who and with what? And could this same burning of the small trees be what burnt the skiers, too?

Many questions left unanswered still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Eldorado said:

For anyone interested; in the UK news today....

What a shame. I get the link to load but all I get is the audio, which seems like a guy speaking Russian. No video.

I'll try later, Eldorado

All theories I have ever looked at - and particularly the explanations by so-called "debunkers" all fail to address a very important issue.

We can trace the team's steps after they left the tent. If you add up the time to go to the fir tree, build a fire, and start to return, we see they have used up about 2 hours of time. These people have about six hours to live dressed as is, and it may a bit more than that due to standing near a fire. 

So anyway, with about four hours to go before they start to die of hypothermia, why did the team split up and suddenly be left lying in the snow, debilitated??

We know that some of the members above the ravine had ice built up around their mouth from their warm breath melting snow and the cold weather refreezing it to ice. So we know that they were lying in snow for some length of time (up to 4 hours) waiting to die.

WHY. what took them all down?

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Havent read through the whole thread , so not sure if this was posted previously . A link to the rescuers/search parties , with a list of whos who and subsequent links to testimonials, lots of very fascinating reading

https://dyatlovpass.com/rescuers#whoiswho

5 hours ago, DodgyDaoist said:

Havent read through the whole thread , so not sure if this was posted previously . A link to the rescuers/search parties , with a list of whos who and subsequent links to testimonials, lots of very fascinating reading

https://dyatlovpass.com/rescuers#whoiswho

Thanks, Dodgy.  I found that site to be useful.  I read a book on DP but it is not so in depth on some topics as this website so it is always good to get as many PoV's as you can. If you see a major conflict in sources, keep researching it.

I now have a translator on my browser so I can go directly to Russian websites. The more the merrier. And So far I am finding out that their points of interest can vary with our views brought to us by English speakers. Interesting. We just can't get a TRUE view, it seems.
------------------------------------------------  so much for that

A thought test for you, Dodgy and anyone else in here. Little things bug me because they may hold key information here. Here is the setup that no one disputes and yet no one questions. And as you look at this evidence, try to put yourself in *their* shoes and ask, "is this is what I would do?" 

Before the team departs the tent, a team member cuts slits in the tent at eye level, so as to peer outside (so people think). I ask, if this tent means their very survival, why, oh why, is someone cutting it up???  There must be a vital reason for it. Is someone stalking them, perhaps?

Next, someone cuts an exit hole in the rear of the tent. Well, if these skiers want to leave the tent, why don't they just open the flap on the front of the tent and exit? It must have taken some time to cut that hole. Something is putting great fear in these people to make them want to leave the tent, but more importantly, leave **from the rear**. WHY??  What is in the front of the tent that they fear - or **so it seems**??

These people then went out, one by one. It seems to me that - while waiting for the exit hole to be cut and waiting for their turn to go, they *could* have grabbed their coats and boots. But they did NOT. Most were severely underdressed - barefoot, no coats. WHY.

One last curiosity: When the team exited somebody(s) thought to take an ice ax and a flashlight with them. Outside the tent, they found that the ice ax had been dropped to the ground and the flashlight laid on the tent in the ON position. So it seems like they did think to bring "items' with them, but not their coats and boots!
--------------------------------

I try to put myself in their position and ask, "is this what I would do"? No, and it is not anything anyone would do. 
something is wrong here. We do not have a complete picture. Why did they go out - is one issue, but why they left without grabbing boots and coats is really mysterious. These people know "cold" a lot better than we do. They know how to act, they know what they are getting into. Yet they all behave irrationally - so it seems. But not really, we just think that because we are lacking facts as to what really was going on.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Thanks, Dodgy.  I found that site to be useful.  I read a book on DP but it is not so in depth on some topics as this website so it is always good to get as many PoV's as you can. If you see a major conflict in sources, keep researching it.

I now have a translator on my browser so I can go directly to Russian websites. The more the merrier. And So far I am finding out that their points of interest can vary with our views brought to us by English speakers. Interesting. We just can't get a TRUE view, it seems.

A thought test for you, Dodgy and anyone else in here. Little things bug me because they may hold key information here. Here is the setup that no one disputes and yet no one questions. And as you look at this evidence, try to put yourself in *their* shoes and ask, "is this is what I would do?" 

Before the team departs the tent, a team member cuts slits in the tent at eye level, so as to peer outside (so people think). I ask, if this tent means their very survival, why, oh why, is someone cutting it up???  There must be a vital reason for it. 

Next, someone cuts an exit hole in the rear of the tent. Well, if these skiers want to leave the tent, why don't they just open the flap on the front of the tent and exit? It must have taken some time to cut that hole. Something is putting great fear in these people to make them want to leave the tent, but more importantly, leave **from the rear**. WHY??  What is in the front of the tent that they fear - or **so it seems**??

These people then went out, one by one. It seems to me that - while waiting for the exit hole to be cut and waiting for their turn to go, they *could* have grabbed their coats and boots. But they did NOT. Most were severely underdressed. WHY.

I try to put myself in their position and ask, "is this what I would do"? No, and it is not anything anyone would do. 
something is wrong here. We do not have a complete picture. Why did they go out - is one issue, but why they left without grabbing boots and coats is really mysterious. These people know "cold" a lot better than we do. They know how to act, they know what they are getting onto. Yet they all behave irrationally. But not really, we just think that because we are lacking facts as to what really was going on.

You're welcome , and yep , some subjects really intrigue me.

To my mind the only thing that would cause me to first cut peep holes and then try and exit the rear of a tent in enough of a panic as to not take anything, would be because something clearly predatory is either directly outside the front , or attempting to get in the front. The basic fight or flight response inherent within. Coupled with the amount of fear induced adrenalin pumping through one's veins and body, the cold would not at first probabily even be noticed , let alone considered, getting out and away would be all consuming.

And as you mentioned, these people knew cold weather conditions. The were experienced outdoorsmen and women, accomplished skiers, hikers and climbers, certainly not easily frightened or scared in the wilderness. Eg:

The name of today's story is the Dyatlov Pass Incident and is named after a 23-year-old college student named Igor Dyatlov. Along with most of the victims of the incident, Igor was a student at Ural Polytechnic University in Sverdlovsk, Russia’s fourth largest city, which is now known as Yekaterinburg. A descendant of a family of engineers, Igor was described as having a scientific mind and was a radio engineering student at the university. In addition to his technical acumen, Igor was also considered an expert hiker and cross country skier at the university, and would often lead groups on expeditions through Siberia. However, not just any old hiker could join a Dyatlov Expedition; only those skilled hikers who had earned their spot were invited along with him. Igor was also described as a totalitarian commander, and would have stringent rules such as no smoking and no drinking (which is very un-Russian), as well as requiring his comrades to regularly wash their feet, even when there was no heater or hot water.

In January of 1959, Igor and eight other UPI students, who were all experienced hikers and skiers, planned to complete what was known as a Grade III expedition, which was the highest level that a hiker could attain in Soviet Russia. The parameters for what qualified as a Grade III expedition were as follows: at least 186 miles of hiking with a third of this being done on rough terrain, and must last at least sixteen days with at least 8 days spent in uninhabited regions, and at least six nights sleeping in a tent. In order to prove that their expedition was, in fact, worthy of a Grade III certification, the hikers had to thoroughly document their trip through journal entries and photographs. Because of this stipulation, we have quite a bit of information from the hikers about how their trip went leading up to the fateful night of their demise.

http://www.evansmedia.org/mysteriyes/2017/1/25/the-dyatlov-pass-incident-mysteriyes

For a group like that to act as irrationally as they did, they would have all had to have dropped some bad psychedelics.

On 9/29/2019 at 12:11 PM, DodgyDaoist said:

You're welcome , and yep , some subjects really intrigue me.

To my mind the only thing that would cause me to first cut peep holes and then try and exit the rear of a tent in enough of a panic as to not take anything, would be because something clearly predatory is either directly outside the front , or attempting to get in the front. The basic fight or flight response inherent within. Coupled with the amount of fear induced adrenalin pumping through one's veins and body, the cold would not at first probabily even be noticed , let alone considered, getting out and away would be all consuming.

And as you mentioned, these people knew cold weather conditions. The were experienced outdoorsmen and women, accomplished skiers, hikers and climbers, certainly not easily frightened or scared in the wilderness. Eg:

http://www.evansmedia.org/mysteriyes/2017/1/25/the-dyatlov-pass-incident-mysteriyes

For a group like that to act as irrationally as they did, they would have all had to have dropped some bad psychedelics.

LOL, well, not sure about the magic mushrooms but they do things that seem to make no sense. To me, that conclusion is more reflective of us not knowing all the facts.

Lev Ivanov thinks the orange orb had something to do with their deaths and I concur. not sure how or why but their presence is ominous.

• 3 months later...

Also the neighboring Mansi(sp?) tribe have interesting stories to tell, theories rather. I honestly do believe they were attacked by something predatory or someone that caused them to flee in a panic. 

MURDER THEORY

En route to the hiking area, somebody at Serov railway station claimed that a member of the Dyatlov group had stolen his wallet.

The police were called but no charges were brought, apparently because it was just his word against theirs.

So is it possible that he (and possibly some of his pals) tracked the Dyatovs through the snow to get his wallet back, by force if necessary?

(Source: the book below, page 20- "A young alcoholic accused someone in the group of stealing his wallet, with the result that the police were called.

Luckily nothing came of it and the group were allowed to proceed without any further restrictions, much to their relief")

Mountain of the Dead: The Dyatlov Pass Incident by Mclosky

12 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

I still believe they were all fighting and caused the whole incidents.

Yes there had been arguments among the group at previous campsites because nobody wanted to sleep near the stove in the tent (perhaps it had a dangerous reputation) but why did all 9 of them slash their way out of the tent and suicidally run down to the woods in the subzero temperature?

Edited by Crikey

7 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Yes there had been arguments among the group at previous campsites because nobody wanted to sleep near the stove in the tent (perhaps it had a dangerous reputation) but why did all 9 of them slash their way out of the tent and suicidally run down to the woods in the subzero temperature?

I believe the fighting knocked down the tent in the dark.  

• Like 1

The campfire is intriguing. If the group was fleeing from a predator (animal or human), then why give away their location? The glow from a fire can be seen for miles. 

If I’m understanding correctly, the campfire was within sight of the tent. That vantage point would mean they were able to see what it was that scared them, and whether or not the threat was still near the tent. I think it’s unlikely that an animal predator was the threat, because there were no animal prints reported, and also an animal would have been aware of a group of people scattering across the snowfield and would have pursued them.

Maybe one of the campers had a psychotic break, picked up the ice axe and blocked the exit. After the others fled, he/she remained outside of the tent making verbal threats.

But then again, these were all extremely fit people who could’ve taken down a lone assailant if they had worked together to subdue him/her. A crazed axeman would be intimidating, but so would being scantily-clad and standing outdoors in below-freezing temperatures. Unless their fellow camper was more intimidating than freezing to death, a group attack would be the logical decision.

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

The campfire is intriguing. If the group was fleeing from a predator (animal or human), then why give away their location? The glow from a fire can be seen for miles. 

If I’m understanding correctly, the campfire was within sight of the tent. That vantage point would mean they were able to see what it was that scared them, and whether or not the threat was still near the tent. I think it’s unlikely that an animal predator was the threat, because there were no animal prints reported, and also an animal would have been aware of a group of people scattering across the snowfield and would have pursued them.

I suppose they knew they'd die of cold down in the trees, so lighting a fire to try to stay warm was a last resort regardless of who might see it.

The incident took place in the dead of night with no moon (ie pitch black conditions) and the tent was a mile away and therefore probably couldn't have been seen from the trees. Perhaps they decided to wait a little while til the assailant had hopefully gone, then make their way back to the tent and hope they could find it. Bodies 2/3/ and 4 (pic below) had apparently been trying to get back, led by tough Zina, (go girl !) but she and the others died in their tracks..

Dyatlov-pass-incident-map.jpg

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 1

Needless to say, aliens and demonic forces have also been linked to the incident, so let me toss the pic below into the playpen for good measure, it was taken at one of the groups halts on their way to the hiking area. Igor Dyatlov is sitting in the centre and another two group members are at the table on the right, but what's that spooky face (circled)?

If that had later materialised inside their tent on the mountain no wonder they slashed their way out in blind panic..

Dyatlovs_zpsj1qxjacs.jpg~original

Edited by Crikey

For this photo that's no place to stop

And we're lucky that they didn't crop.

Another strange riddle

Right there in the middle

Canadian Hitler (at top.)

Harte

• Like 2

On 9/29/2019 at 5:21 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Before the team departs the tent, a team member cuts slits in the tent at eye level, so as to peer outside (so people think). I ask, if this tent means their very survival, why, oh why, is someone cutting it up???  There must be a vital reason for it. Is someone stalking them, perhaps?

These people then went out, one by one. It seems to me that - while waiting for the exit hole to be cut and waiting for their turn to go, they *could* have grabbed their coats and boots. But they did NOT. Most were severely underdressed - barefoot, no coats. WHY.

One last curiosity: When the team exited somebody(s) thought to take an ice ax and a flashlight with them. Outside the tent, they found that the ice ax had been dropped to the ground and the flashlight laid on the tent in the ON position. So it seems like they did think to bring "items' with them, but not their coats and boots!

something is wrong here. We do not have a complete picture. Why did they go out - is one issue, but why they left without grabbing boots and coats is really mysterious. These people know "cold" a lot better than we do. They know how to act, they know what they are getting into. Yet they all behave irrationally - so it seems. But not really, we just think that because we are lacking facts as to what really was going on.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that something or someone very frightening or as someone said predatory was outside the tent, on the side of entrance and they heard it and cut holes to see it - so it must have made a sound first that made them scared to go outside and check it out but curious to cut peep holes.

Not dressing up and walking away from tent slowly as indicated by footprints in the snow, suggests to me that they were trying to stay quite as much as possible and sneak out. Dressing up would make a lot of noise, as would running away.

Now I don't know if it is possible to cut that tent in quietly enough for this to make any sense.

Are there any bears around there? That the first thing that come to mind. Any human attacker would be smart enough to just go around the tent and catch them escaping through that hole they cut or just cut the tent himself to get to them inside. A bear doesn't know that tent as an object isn't solid until it probes it so they had time to cut and escape but quietly not to draw bear's attention to their escape hole.

Now, I did read the whole thread but can't recall about wildlife population there, so I might be writing total nonsense here that was debunked pages ago.

...Later on some burned by trying to get warm, others fell into ravine or something along those lines.

Something is interesting here to me, many of you get claims of how many hours until hypothermia and such...I can't really imagine that because if I clean ice on my car's windshield for a minute without gloves my hands start to hurt unbearably and I must take frequent brakes to warm them. Half naked in that weather and place is something i find rather debilliating to do anything meaningful from cold, pain and shaking. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 11:21 AM, LucidElement said:

Anyways, 9 hikers all dead in one night ? Experienced hikers at that. Hypothermia is a given , but what’s more insane is one was found with no tongue . Some were found with high levels of radioactivity. I mean radioactivity is so interesting . Then you had those with eyeballs pulled out of sockets. And then of course, some of the hikers had so much damage to there bodies the coroners compared it to that of a car crash.

It's very simple. The bodies were brought in, the photos are fake.

Even one photo refutes the legend of the campaign and death on the pass. And there are dozens of such pictures. Please read it.