Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dyatlov Pass

LucidElement

I just wanted to throw this out there to get something going, I haven’t seen it on UM in a long time, and after watching that clip below I was excited to share it and hear your thoughts. I put it in the history forum because I’m my opinion it’s history and alternative. However if it needs to be relocated Saru let me know. Just make sure you guys take 20 minutes to check out that video it’s pretty interesting .

Anyways, 9 hikers all dead in one night ? Experienced hikers at that. Hypothermia is a given , but what’s more insane is one was found with no tongue . Some were found with high levels of radioactivity. I mean radioactivity is so interesting . Then you had those with eyeballs pulled out of sockets. And then of course, some of the hikers had so much damage to there bodies the coroners compared it to that of a car crash.

On a skeptically thought, two of the 9 worked within science and radiation labs. And those two were the ones that were found with high levels of radiation on their clothes. (Ok fair enough but could be a long shot)

why were they next to naked when they casually left their tents?

so in more detail why were some of the tents slashed from the inside ?

and after alll these years with an abundance of information , via KGB coverup, VIA UFO sighting (which the climbers took a picture of something in the sky) or even a possible avalanche . An avalanche could cause impact like a car crash but it wouldn’t rip you tongue out. It wouldn’t leave traces of radioactivity. It definitely wouldn’t leave the climbers footprints behind after fresh snow would cover the scene. 

Watch this 20min YouTube video of a pretty well documentary of this unexplained mystery.

*snip*

what happened and why!?

Edited by Saru
Video removed due to graphic content
  • Like 1

Was there something new presented?  Your comments suggest not, and you seem to have ignored the explanations given in the rather exhaustive coverage this topic has already had here at UM, eg.

1 hour ago, LucidElement said:

Anyways, 9 hikers all dead in one night ? Experienced hikers at that. Hypothermia is a given

Probably added to a small avalanche or wind storm that may have incapacitated key members.

but what’s more insane is one was found with no tongue.

Not even vaguely insane - soft tissues like the tongue are almost always the first items to be predated.

Some were found with high levels of radioactivity.

Most reports say low radioactivity and only a couple of items of clothing.  At that time Thorium-based mantles were used in camping lanterns, and the simple act of swapping one can cause quite a bit of Thorium dust and low level radioactivity.  There are other possibilities, but as the reports have been conveniently lost by the Russian authorities, there's no way of checking this out properly. 

Then you had those with eyeballs pulled out of sockets. And then of course, some of the hikers had so much damage to there bodies the coroners compared it to that of a car crash.

As stated, avalanches were common, and again, soft tissue predation... although I'd have to say that reports I've seen do *not* mention eyeballs being pulled out - they do mention some indication of eye damage... is this Chinese Whispers perhaps?  Probably more than any other case in history, this one has had so much bull added to it over the years, it is no longer funny.

On a skeptically thought, two of the 9 worked within science and radiation labs. And those two were the ones that were found with high levels of radiation on their clothes. (Ok fair enough but could be a long shot)

And pretty much impossible to check either way, so I'm going with a radioactive, bright green-glowing Bigfoot.... :D

why were they next to naked when they casually left their tents?

1. They had indeed partially disrobed and/or swapped clothes.  2. This is common in severe cases of hypothermia, the final stage involves the person's nervous system breaking down completely and they feel very hot.  If they don't receive medical aid, they will very soon die.  And then possibly be predated upon.....

so in more detail why were some of the tents slashed from the inside ?

Probably from tent poles ripping through them via avalanche or wind.  Or insane behavior due to hypothermia as above.

An avalanche could cause impact like a car crash but it wouldn’t rip you tongue out. It wouldn’t leave traces of radioactivity. It definitely wouldn’t leave the climbers footprints behind after fresh snow would cover the scene.

Seriously?  You dismiss multiple issues because one thing - an avalanche - couldn't have done them all simultaneously?

Here's a wild, radical, thought - how about you consider this - more than one thing might have happened, and each issue might have a different cause....

Anyway, given the above, I'll pass on the video, thanks.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 8

Blizzard, avalanche, & carbon monoxide poisoning + panic and hypothermia after the avalanche ='s disaster. Birds and other predators eat eyes and tongue as it's the easiest for a small creature to get to.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, LucidElement said:

Watch this 20min YouTube video of a pretty well documentary of this unexplained mystery.

Sounds interesting!  Can you post a link to the video?

26 minutes ago, acute said:

It was edited out by the Powers to Be.

5 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Blizzard, avalanche, & carbon monoxide poisoning + panic and hypothermia after the avalanche ='s disaster. Birds and other predators eat eyes and tongue as it's the easiest for a small creature to get to.

Crows and Ravens love eyes and tongues. Not to be gross but if a hunter drops dead around a murders' territory they are the first to go.

• Like 2

I don't care much for eyes, but I'm with the crows when it comes to tongue - mighty fine eating.

Harte

I still don't understand why avalanche and high winds are given as reasonable explanations here when none of the evidence suggests either.  For example:

High winds: Was a member outside and blown into the darkness by strong wind, which led the others to attempt to rescue that person? It is improbable such a large and experienced group would have behaved like that. Strong winds would have been enough to blow away the tent, too.

Avalanche: It is atypical terrain for avalanches and an avalanche would have untethered the tent.

http://www.spiked-online.com/review_of_books/article/dyatlov-pass-a-chilling-mystery-solved/16853#.WhVjuUpl-Uk

Evidence contradicting the avalanche theory includes:[25][26]

• The location of the incident did not have any obvious signs of an avalanche having taken place. An avalanche would have left certain patterns and debris distributed over a wide area. The bodies found within ten days of the event were covered with a very shallow layer of snow and, had there been an avalanche of sufficient strength to sweep away the second party, these bodies would have been swept away as well; this would have caused more serious and different injuries in the process and would have damaged the tree line.
  • Over 100 expeditions to the region were held since the incident, and none of them ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche. A study of the area using up-to-date terrain-related physics revealed that the location was entirely unlikely for such an avalanche to have occurred. The "dangerous conditions" found in another nearby area (which had significantly steeper slopes and cornices) were observed in April and May when the snowfalls of winter were melting. During February, when the incident occurred, there were no such conditions.
  • An analysis of the terrain, the slope and the incline indicates that even if there could have been a very specific avalanche that circumvents the other criticisms, its trajectory would have bypassed the tent. It had collapsed laterally but not horizontally.
  • Dyatlov was an experienced skier and the much older Alexander Zolotaryov was studying for his Masters Certificate in ski instruction and mountain hiking. Neither of these two men would have been likely to camp anywhere in the path of a potential avalanche.

*Edit* I believe there are rational explanations for what happened, I just don't think it was an avalanche. 

Edited by Saru
Removed link to graphic video
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Piney said:

It was edited out by the Powers to Be.

Oh, I see. I thought you had an embedded vid deleted.

Could you tell me what to search on YouTube please, to find the right one.

Wasn't there a one post wonder topic about this a few days ago? Can't find it using search.

There was a thread saying it had be solved and "a perfect storm" was to blame.

10 minutes ago, acute said:

Oh, I see. I thought you had an embedded vid deleted.

Could you tell me what to search on YouTube please, to find the right one.

I don't know. I'm not the OP. I just saw Saru's signature *snip*

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

I don't know. I'm not the OP. I just saw Saru's signature *snip*

Sorry, Piney, I'm not quite 'with it' today.

:lol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Was there something new presented?  Your comments suggest not, and you seem to have ignored the explanations given in the rather exhaustive coverage this topic has already had here at UM, eg.

Probably added to a small avalanche or wind storm that may have incapacitated key members.

Not even vaguely insane - soft tissues like the tongue are almost always the first items to be predated.

Most reports say low radioactivity and only a couple of items of clothing.  At that time Thorium-based mantles were used in camping lanterns, and the simple act of swapping one can cause quite a bit of Thorium dust and low level radioactivity.  There are other possibilities, but as the reports have been conveniently lost by the Russian authorities, there's no way of checking this out properly. 

As stated, avalanches were common, and again, soft tissue predation... although I'd have to say that reports I've seen do *not* mention eyeballs being pulled out - they do mention some indication of eye damage... is this Chinese Whispers perhaps?  Probably more than any other case in history, this one has had so much bull added to it over the years, it is no longer funny.

And pretty much impossible to check either way, so I'm going with a radioactive, bright green-glowing Bigfoot.... :D

1. They had indeed partially disrobed and/or swapped clothes.  2. This is common in severe cases of hypothermia, the final stage involves the person's nervous system breaking down completely and they feel very hot.  If they don't receive medical aid, they will very soon die.  And then possibly be predated upon.....

Probably from tent poles ripping through them via avalanche or wind.  Or insane behavior due to hypothermia as above.

Seriously?  You dismiss multiple issues because one thing - an avalanche - couldn't have done them all simultaneously?

Here's a wild, radical, thought - how about you consider this - more than one thing might have happened, and each issue might have a different cause....

Anyway, given the above, I'll pass on the video, thanks.

Charlz lots of points to cover,

Firstly, the footprints outside of the tent were still visible and not blanketed over with snow - as an avalanche would cause. Also, the footprints were shown to have been imprinted in a calm and orderaly manner verses someone who was running around like a mad man.

There was a exhaust pipe coming out of the tent which one theory was they could have started a fire inside and had to cut the tent open to escape. However, that would disprove the above statement because the footprints would show signs of distress and not slow paced walking. On the flip side, some bodies had signs of burned skin and blood around their mouths which could be a sign of smoke inhalation.

A couple more points:

" something compelled the hikers to tear their tent open from within and run into the Russian blizzard, thirty degrees below zero, completely barefoot. "

" it was reported that all of the hikers' clothing, once found and tested, was concluded to be highly radioactive. "  (Not SMALL AMOUNTS) Three pieces of clothing were found with high levels of Radioactivity.

One of the medical investigator famously quoted "The cause of death was an unknown compelling force which the hikers were unable to overcome. (Horrible answer for sure) But,  - You could say avalanche but there were no signs of avalanche as the footprints still showed and the 9 individuals were close to each other, not thrown around in areas further then there tents. The tents still stood as well.

Medical examiner reports show there was blood in her stomach - the eyes were missing

"The Stomach contained up to 100cm3 of a dark red slimy mass" - B.A Vozrozhyonny

"Soft tissue injuries to the head are postmortem changes (putrefaction and decomposition) to Dubinna's corpse, which was recently exposed to water prior to detection. - B.A Vozrozhyonny

Given from the investigators report - acknowledging radioactivity "The clothes were contaminated as radioactive dust fell from the atmosphere, or the clothes were susceptible to contamination when in contact with radioactive substances." Articles of clothing should not exceed 5000 DPM , Disintegration per minute - an area of 150 Square centimeters should never exceed 5000 DPM.  Three pieces of clothing did. Two jackets and pants. Pants were found at 5000 DPM, a jacket was found at 5600DPM and another jacket at 9900 DPM.

The cedar trees next to some of the bodies were found damaged up to 15 feet high. Either trying to locate their tents in the dark, or trying to hide from someone or something.

some of the individuals were missing boots, gloves, hats, and pants and it was -30 outside. (Dont forget the exhaust from the tent was being used as ham and bacon and other food was found)

More mysterious is that the medical reporter (speaking on three of the hikers) compared the deaths to that of a car crash because of the fractured ribs and internal bleeding as well fractured skulls. He believed it could have been a fall but could not have been caused by another individual because of the pure impact of the fatal injuries.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, acute said:

**Search youtube for The Dyaltov Pass Case by LEMMINO . Very informative and the gentleman makes interesting points.***

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

**Search youtube for The Dyaltov Pass Case by LEMMINO . Very informative and the gentleman makes interesting points.***

Will do. Thanks. :tu:

9 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

I still don't understand why avalanche and high winds are given as reasonable explanations here when none of the evidence suggests either.

Not necessarily reasonable - just possible! :D

You might want to look here for more info inc. actual slope measurements rather than handwaved claims about it not being steep enough:
https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4108

I think the winds / avalanches ideas were more about explaining the damage to tents etc... but it's a long time since I looked properly at this one and I am finding it difficult to get motivated to re-research..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

I think the winds / avalanches ideas were more about explaining the damage to tents etc... but it's a long time since I looked properly at this one and I am finding it difficult to get motivated to re-research..

I can understand. There was obviously a number of factors at play and as you say it does remain a possibility, however unlikely I feel that is.

There is a fascinating theory about ultrasound and the possibility it sparked fear and paranoia in the hikers but that seems a stretch also.

I'm UnConvinced in the end. No one theory seems to fit all of the elements and I fear all of the research it is possible to do has been done. This one remains a true mystery to me.

• Like 2

LE, CITE your claims please.  The reports I've seen do not seem to be in agreement with several of your claims, and I'm not wasting further time unless you can cite some evidentiary proof, eg the original written reports.

Like I said earlier, this case has had many false additions and unfounded claims, that subsequent sources have simply accepted.  If we can't get back to some evidence, then the claims are very likely false or exaggerated.  For an obvious example, don't you think that if there really was 'high' radiation readings, they would state the numbers, ie how high exactly?  And then show the full report on how the radiation was tested?

But no, and no.  You may as well just make up whatever you like, especially if you are doing a Youtube video, if you get my drift..

The investigation itself was classified and all the materials without a disclosure of the reason were transferred to Moscow, which hinted that the military could be involved here because near the corpses soldier's windings were found which the expedition members did not wear so there were other people who were present there.

There are more than 60 versions of the death of a group of tourists led by Igor Dyatlov in 1959. The main ones are aliens (in this place rescuers watched the fireballs in the sky), tests of nuclear weapons in a secret laboratory (on the clothes of some tourists found traces of radiation), attacks by guards (near the pass there were camps and they could search fugitive prisoners), infrasound (it is believed that the shape of a number of standing mountains of a particular form and the wind passing between them could produce strong infrasounds that drove people mad and forced to strange actions), the attack of Mansi hunters (locals), espionage (the group used and to transfer samples of radioactive materials from the plant where one of the group's members was working to an American spy), a drunken fight between the group members and the descent of a snow avalanche (looks unlikely, since the slope of the mountain in this place is only 20 degrees).

Yevgeny Okishev, Deputy Head of the Investigations Division of the Prosecutor's Office of the Sverdlovsk Region, curator of the investigative group led by prosecutor-criminalist Lev Ivanov:

"I am almost certain after all the examinations (especially after the radiological, which was conducted by someone's team ) that there were tests of some secret weapon or an unsuccessful launch of the missile. At that time, an agreement was signed between the USSR and the United States on the prohibition of testing nuclear weapons, on the curtailment of its production. It was necessary to invent other super-powerful charges. And, perhaps, because of the special secrecy they were tested even on the polygons unknown to the enemy. Perhaps the guys were put to the test and from here such trauma from the wreckage of the rocket or something else."

According to Yuri Yudin, who was to become the tenth participant of the expedition but fell ill at the beginning of the campaign and returned home: - "My opinion is that they were victims of stripping. They accidentally witnessed some trials and being poisoned, were doomed to death. To me, the investigator Ivanov said: "They were already doomed."

(information from different Russian sources)

Edited by Coil
Add

4 hours ago, Coil said:

SNIP

(information from different Russian sources)

Sighs wearily.  Well, that should be good enough for anyone...  :td:

I've removed all the uncited bits..

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:51 PM, LucidElement said:

what happened and why!?

The Antarctic pyramids killed them.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2017 at 5:24 PM, Coil said:

According to Yuri Yudin ....."My opinion is that they were victims of stripping....."

Or possibly lap-dancing?

I think we should send a team out to all clubs of ill repute in the region for further investigation into this claim! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Those blood thirsty swine!

• Like 3

On 11/25/2017 at 7:45 AM, Rlyeh said:

Hahahaha what a guy. 

On 11/25/2017 at 7:45 AM, Rlyeh said:

Hahaha still laughing at that response lol.