Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teen Mental Health is Declining

Colt Storm

11 hours ago, third_eye said:

'Graubelle Man' ... at 00:54

~

[00.06:56]

~

... 'smooth hands' ....

:yes:

~

He was from Dark Ages Denmark. Maybe Irish redheads and Scottish redheads can thank Danish Vikings for their carrot tops. That was a strange clip, but it was nothing compared to the one about women who can't stop growing. They make my 5'10 feel like 4'10!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I don't believe that. Kids don't need coaches or teams. They can exercise through play that is not organized. They have been doing so for thousands of years.

Play is natural for kids, not for teens and adolescents. If you want to carry it on you need to provide the mental skills to set goals.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kismit said:

Play is natural for kids, not for teens and adolescents. If you want to carry it on you need to provide the mental skills to set goals.

It's not that deep. Adolescents play too. They just do it in the form of sports and other stuff. Much of life does not require an official instruction book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

It's not that deep. Adolescents play too. They just do it in the form of sports and other stuff. Much of life does not require an official instruction book.

It is the psychology of it thought.  For four years I was paid to coach, manage and study children. It is exactly the way it works.  Without the skills being introduced to set goals for physical activity, it won't happen. Even physically active self motivated people need challenges and goals. 

The original point was it could be less likely for a child from a family that has the means to support organized physical activity to developers mental health issues later in life.

• Like 1

The thing that lays on young people's minds is the future ability to buy a place of their own.

For me, the lack of that would have crippled my spirit, by itself.

I understand why they may be depressed.

• Like 3

'Open play' cures thoughts of despondency?

My generation should be immune, but we're not.

2 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

'Open play' cures thoughts of despondency?

My generation should be immune, but we're not.

Life certainly comes with its pressures for the younger generation. As someone earlier pointed out, we are living in a time when we don't have the tools to deal with the social changes that have happened. That includes the youth growing up and thier roll models. 

I would never dismiss mental illness. It is real and awful, however there is atleast anecdotal evidence that suggests exercise and nutrition can impact positively on the more common stress disorders like anxiety and depression.

It is not all about play. It is about activity and social involvement. Our youth get validation through social media, an inert  enterprise, they leave the house less often,  they become soft and lazy, (actually I could include myself in this if I am really honest), you begin to feel bad about your elf.  Add in fast food that lack important nutrients like magnesium or iron (natural mood regulators) and energy drinks for that instant feel good. It is no wonder our youth struggle so much.

As a parent and a role model I do what I can to give my kids mental strength and resilience but we have been lucky, and not all families have these same tools or resources. 

It's the reason my ideal job would be working with children in primary schools doing mental health and nutrition. If a family can not provide then maybe I can.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2017 at 6:49 PM, Paranormal Panther said:

Are you kidding? I love redheads! I'm talking about Celtic women and Irish Setters. I don't get the ginger hate.

I've always wished i had red hair! My grandfather was a flaming redhead and we (sibs and extended cousin group) all have natural red highlights. 

I think it also has to do with parents treating kids like little adults. They want friends instead of children. Being a parent involves making the hard choices. Being a disciplinarian is difficult and takes commitment. Children actually thrive with boundaries. It takes time and effort to give and enforce them.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kismit said:

It is the psychology of it thought.  For four years I was paid to coach, manage and study children. It is exactly the way it works.  Without the skills being introduced to set goals for physical activity, it won't happen. Even physically active self motivated people need challenges and goals. 

The original point was it could be less likely for a child from a family that has the means to support organized physical activity to developers mental health issues later in life.

I don't buy it. Some of our best athletes had the worst childhoods. Poor American youth managed to stay fit and trim for decades with absolutely no outside interference. There are other factors at play in the horrid obesity epidemic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skliss said:

I've always wished i had red hair! My grandfather was a flaming redhead and we (sibs and extended cousin group) all have natural red highlights. 

Many brunettes carry the redhead gene. That's one reason why redheads can skip one or more generations. Despite the pop culture stereotype, dark brown is the most common hair color for Irish people. Scottish people are a bit more likely to have red hair.

3 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Many brunettes carry the redhead gene. That's one reason why redheads can skip one or more generations. Despite the pop culture stereotype, dark brown is the most common hair color for Irish people. Scottish people are a bit more likely to have red hair.

I'm actually a blonde, my sister's have dark brown hair and my brothers hair is a beautiful dark auburn that we were all jealous of...lol some of my cousins got a strawberry blonde hue. There are straight up redheads in the next generation, tho not my boys.

8 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I don't buy it. Some of our best athletes had the worst childhoods. Poor American youth managed to stay fit and trim for decades with absolutely no outside interference. There are other factors at play in the horrid obesity epidemic.

Only we aren't talking about obesity, we are talking about mental health. And the role organized sports play in giving a child the skills to set goals, the resilience to bounce back from failure, the ability to laugh at mistakes and an understanding of the feeling of success. Not to mention the community involvement and endorphins. 

There are so many benefits to organized activities and they all impact on future development. If a family does not have the money or the time required to give thier children access to these activities a child may well be at greater risk of poor mental health down the track.

Link on Nutrition and mental health. (Depression, one of  the stress disorders) Good food is expensive.

Physical activity and mental health 

And this....

There is substantive evidence of many different psychological and social health benefits of participation in sport by children and adolescents. Furthermore, there is a general consensus that participation in sport for children and adolescence is associated with improved psychological and social health, above and beyond other forms of leisure-time PA. More specifically, there are reports that participation in team sports rather than individual activities is associated with better health. It is conjectured that this is due to the social nature of team sport, and that the health benefits are enhanced through positive involvement of peers and adults. However, the research is predominantly based on cross-sectional studies.

In light of the research evidence, acknowledging that research to date is predominantly based on cross-sectional studies, it is recommended that community sport participation is advocated as a form of leisure time PA for children and adolescents; in an effort to not only improve the obesity crisis associated with low PA levels, but to enhance other psychological and social health outcomes. It is also recommended that the causal link between participation in sport and health be further investigated and the conceptual model of health through sport tested. Furthermore, in light of the fact that our assessment of the quality of the studies to date has revealed considerable variation in study quality, it is recommended that researchers should give more attention to protocols such as CONSORT [71] and STROBE [72] in order to ensure high levels of methodological rigor in future studies.

From here

If a family does not have the time, the money or the support required to bring good nutrition and positive activities into thier home they may unwillingly increase the risk of poor mental health down the track.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, skliss said:

I'm actually a blonde, my sister's have dark brown hair and my brothers hair is a beautiful dark auburn that we were all jealous of...lol some of my cousins got a strawberry blonde hue. There are straight up redheads in the next generation, tho not my boys.

It's a genetic roll of the dice. Some folks are luckier at chromosome craps.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kismit said:

Only we aren't talking about obesity, we are talking about mental health. And the role organized sports play in giving a child the skills to set goals, the resilience to bounce back from failure, the ability to laugh at mistakes and an understanding of the feeling of success. Not to mention the community involvement and endorphins. 

There are so many benefits to organized activities and they all impact on future development. If a family does not have the money or the time required to give thier children access to these activities a child may well be at greater risk of poor mental health down the track.

Link on Nutrition and mental health. (Depression, one of  the stress disorders) Good food is expensive.

Physical activity and mental health 

And this....

There is substantive evidence of many different psychological and social health benefits of participation in sport by children and adolescents. Furthermore, there is a general consensus that participation in sport for children and adolescence is associated with improved psychological and social health, above and beyond other forms of leisure-time PA. More specifically, there are reports that participation in team sports rather than individual activities is associated with better health. It is conjectured that this is due to the social nature of team sport, and that the health benefits are enhanced through positive involvement of peers and adults. However, the research is predominantly based on cross-sectional studies.

In light of the research evidence, acknowledging that research to date is predominantly based on cross-sectional studies, it is recommended that community sport participation is advocated as a form of leisure time PA for children and adolescents; in an effort to not only improve the obesity crisis associated with low PA levels, but to enhance other psychological and social health outcomes. It is also recommended that the causal link between participation in sport and health be further investigated and the conceptual model of health through sport tested. Furthermore, in light of the fact that our assessment of the quality of the studies to date has revealed considerable variation in study quality, it is recommended that researchers should give more attention to protocols such as CONSORT [71] and STROBE [72] in order to ensure high levels of methodological rigor in future studies.

From here

If a family does not have the time, the money or the support required to bring good nutrition and positive activities into thier home they may unwillingly increase the risk of poor mental health down the track.

The same thing applies to self esteem. Children and teens got it in spades from games and/or sports for years. No organizations were required for happiness. The same is true now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2017 at 5:51 AM, Lilly said:

I'd love to have done an ancestry DNA on those idiots. Just about all modern humans are of mixed racial background. Basically, those morons are all 'mud bloods' themselves!

I have the results of my DNA test. My mother did hers, and soon my nephew, cus we don't know anything of his mother's family. I'm overwhelmingly European, since my father's French...he will do his soon. My Mom is 95% European, 0.6% African and 4.4% indigenous American. However, for 10 generations, there were Cherokee tribal records of my ancestors, even the US Census accepted it. Tiny bits of Portugal, Croatia, Poland and Finland - despite heavy British and German background. And Mom's DNA test discovered Africans entered in 1650-80 in the Carolinas. My Dad thinks he may have Jewish in his genes.

It's different to be a teen in the late 20th and early 21st centuries, due to pressures with high school (attendance, studying and graduation) then they're told they need high-cost college/university education, and finally age 13 was once adulthood in most of the world until like a century ago (social reform or change circa 1900), they remain children until...age 18? 21? later? The US job market (including CA) shrinks, outsourced, downsized, automated and even given to immigrants (I mean H1B visas), or if they're lucky: the job is low-wage, part-time, temping, high risk of layoffs and non-union (make that, anti-labor rights). 

Edited by Solipsi Rai
  • Like 2