Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

VA: Vietnam parasite may be killing vets.

pallidin

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/11/22/va-study-shows-parasite-from-vietnam-may-be-killing-vets.html

Veterans returned to the U.S. after fighting in the jungles of Vietnam a half century ago, but hundreds of them may be dying from a silent bullet — a slow-killing parasite living in the men decades after the war, a new study revealed.

Liver flukes, parasites that infect a human when raw or undercooked fish is eaten, are being investigated as the cause of a rare bile duct cancer among veterans who served in the Vietnam War. It could take years for symptoms to show up, but when they do, the host is left with tremendous pain and given just a few months to live.

• Like 1

The Veteran's Administration is looking into a parasite that may be killing some of the Vietnam veterans. It's a liver fluke that may have been ingested by eating raw or undercooked fish. The worm can live in the body for decades without causing any symptoms until it is very late in the progression of the disease. It is suspected of causing 100s of death by causing bile duct cancer. Veterans should have themselves tested.

This is crap 50 yrs later. No one knew to look until now. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/hundreds-vietnam-vets-infected-slow-killing-parasite-n823411

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/science/ct-vietnam-veterans-liver-flukes-20171121-story.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

Geez, haven't these guys been through enough? 

• Like 2

Thanks for merging my thread mods. I didn't see Pallidin's post. I hope our vets in here will go and get checked out. Especially if you can remember ever eating fish that wasn't fully cooked. The worms can be killed if you catch it early enough, before the damage starts.

• Like 1

I spent two years on the rivers of Vietnam. We fished and swam in the waters, but I don't recall eating any raw fish. Sometimes we used "nuoc maan" [spelling?] a sauce made from the drippings of dried fish. There was number one, up to number ten nuoc maan according to the size of the mesh it was drained through. Number one was the best,strained through a very fine mesh. There could even be a number ten thou, which wasn't strained at all.

• Like 3

I never had the pleasure of eating fish during the year I spent there.

There is a reason it's called "Perfume river".

Imagine an open sewer where everyone washes their bodies, clothes, and slaughters their beasts.

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 3

I can't believe it took this long but I guess no one made the connection until now. The article I posted said many of our troops ate fish when rations ran out. It is better to be tested now so something can be done early.

• Like 2

Just now, .ZZ. said:

I never had the pleasure of eating fish during the year I spent there.

There is a reason it's called "Perfume river".

Imagine an open sewer where everyone washes their bodies, clothes, and slaughter their beasts.

No wonder it's unsanitary. I can't begin to imagine what you guys went through. I saw enough on TV news. I can only imagine there were a lot of strange things rampant around there.

• Like 3