Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fisker: Car battery with 500-mile range

pallidin

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/11/21/fisker-patents-car-battery-with-500-mile-range-on-minute-s-charge.html

Car designer Henrik Fisker’s new company, Fisker Inc., recently filed to patent a car battery – which is currently in development – that has a range of 500 miles and can be charged in one minute.

• Like 3

Can you fit it to a PS4 controller?

one-more-kill-to-get-last-achievement-co

• Like 2

500 miles what happens when i want to drive Portland to San Jose.  How about a battery that pops out easily and can be swapped for one with a full charge at the battery station.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, travelnjones said:

500 miles what happens when i want to drive Portland to San Jose.  How about a battery that pops out easily and can be swapped for one with a full charge at the battery station.  

You want a zero point module . 

zero piont modual.jpg

• Like 3

Looks good, but really just battery exchange rather than charge.  I just think until Its something like filling up gas, it not the solution I am looking.  charging is good for commuting.  Not road trip to disneyland

It is supposed to charge very fast, so in a way it would be like a fill up. Charging speed is really the range bottle neck. Of course this would require infrastructure still, and it's a touch vague on what kind of amperage you have to push to get the 1 minute charge. Might be another Tesla tower at Colorado Springs where the town blacks out while you fill up.

I just find it hard to believe a material can accept that much charge that quickly with no repercussions like becoming a fireball. I have worked with NiCad, NiMH, LiPoly, and Lion batteries and charging always produces some effect and each type has different rates. Cheaper, longer charge life, non flammable, ultra fast charge, this would be the holy grail of batteries (for now).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BorizBadinov said:

It is supposed to charge very fast, so in a way it would be like a fill up. Charging speed is really the range bottle neck. Of course this would require infrastructure still, and it's a touch vague on what kind of amperage you have to push to get the 1 minute charge. Might be another Tesla tower at Colorado Springs where the town blacks out while you fill up.

I just find it hard to believe a material can accept that much charge that quickly with no repercussions like becoming a fireball. I have worked with NiCad, NiMH, LiPoly, and Lion batteries and charging always produces some effect and each type has different rates. Cheaper, longer charge life, non flammable, ultra fast charge, this would be the holy grail of batteries (for now).

Cheaper and longer charge life would be nice for the deep cells I use for my camper. Over 1 cloudy week and I'm screwed.

28 minutes ago, Piney said:

Cheaper and longer charge life would be nice for the deep cells I use for my camper. Over 1 cloudy week and I'm screwed.

Wouldn't it though? Off grid life is my biggest reason for hoping this tech pans out. Deep cells do take a while to bring back up fully and they are not cheap.

I take it you are running solar for recharging? I'm a huge fan of solar but it is hard to get past those cloudy days without another backup. I picked up an old Onan rv generator from an auction for 30$. It needed some TLC and it weighs as much as a small bus but it does do the trick. I just really hate the noise.

• Like 1

Just now, BorizBadinov said:

Wouldn't it though? Off grid life is my biggest reason for hoping this tech pans out. Deep cells do take a while to bring back up fully and they are not cheap.

I take it you are running solar for recharging? I'm a huge fan of solar but it is hard to get past those cloudy days without another backup. I picked up an old Onan rv generator from an auction for 30$. It needed some TLC and it weighs as much as a small bus but it does do the trick. I just really hate the noise.

I'm on my winter "landing pad".  A concrete slab where a large office trailer use to be parked. I have a electrical, water and septic hookup. But I have to repair a lot of my systems this year. The "Five year fry out" has happened with my HVAC unit.  I do have the AC online but that's not what I need. I have diagnostic lights flashing now and the fault code on my Toshiba just told me "air flow sensor". 

I have a Honda knockoff but it's a knuckle buster with a compression stroke that will break your wrist. I stare at it. It stares at me. Have yet to us it for power.

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm on my winter "landing pad".  A concrete slab where a large office trailer use to be parked. I have a electrical, water and septic hookup. But I have to repair a lot of my systems this year. The "Five year fry out" has happened with my HVAC unit.  I do have the AC online but that's not what I need. I have diagnostic lights flashing now and the fault code on my Toshiba just told me "air flow sensor". 

I have a Honda knockoff but it's a knuckle buster with a compression stroke that will break your wrist. I stare at it. It stares at me. Have yet to us it for power.

Concrete and a breaker box beats the heck out of leveling jacks in the mud and a currant bush. I have one of those Armstrong units too, but I only use it for 220 as the onan is single phase 110. I'm more fond of pushing the switch and waiting till it goes vroom. Unless I have dead batteries, then its back to the rip cord.

My trailer needs a new roof and I have been contemplating going full hillbilly and just slapping a window unit through the wall. It's a pretty old trailer so I have been putting it off for several years because I am afraid of how far the dry rot has progressed. New roof might become new tiny house. 

3 minutes ago, BorizBadinov said:

Concrete and a breaker box beats the heck out of leveling jacks in the mud and a currant bush. I have one of those Armstrong units too, but I only use it for 220 as the onan is single phase 110. I'm more fond of pushing the switch and waiting till it goes vroom. Unless I have dead batteries, then its back to the rip cord.

My trailer needs a new roof and I have been contemplating going full hillbilly and just slapping a window unit through the wall. It's a pretty old trailer so I have been putting it off for several years because I am afraid of how far the dry rot has progressed. New roof might become new tiny house. 

I have a 2013. It's too high tech but I couldn't find a older one without mouse eaten wires, sand ants and wall rot. Tiny houses are a no-no in New Jersey and I might want to hit the cowboy trail again. Mines a 110 single. It's Tractor Supply trash. Not a Armstrong.

Just now, Piney said:

I have a 2013. It's too high tech but I couldn't find a older one without mouse eaten wires, sand ants and wall rot. Tiny houses are a no-no in New Jersey and I might want to hit the cowboy trail again. Mines a 110 single. It's Tractor Supply trash. Not a Armstrong.

Some of those new rigs are really nice trailers. I did a gig a while back as an RV tech. Shiny but out of my price range. Here in the desert they don't rot away as fast so you can find older ones cheap.

I read something about tiny house bias in Jersey a while back, that's just mean. I'm out west in Idaho, we don't have as many rules but the Ca implants are fixing that for us pretty fast. I'm planning my version a bit more to the rv side, just thought it would be nice to have something cabinish up at the mine, so its not like the neighbors care much. Plus an angled roof can catch a little more sun hopefully.

My second generator is a Harbor Freight offshore. By Armstrong I meant you have to yank on the starter cord, no electric start on that one. It's a decent unit for a cheap one but it is a lot louder than a Honda.

If the Fisker thing doesn't pan out we still have Elon. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-22/elon-musk-s-giant-battery-set-for-testing-in-south-australia

• Like 1

New Jersey has no off the grid laws. Just a lot of little laws so it comes to that point by proxy.

15 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

Charging speed is really the range bottle neck. Of course this would require infrastructure still, and it's a touch vague on what kind of amperage you have to push to get the 1 minute charge.

When I saw the "one minute charge", I envisioned a lightning rod attached to the back  :w00t:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, and then said:

When I saw the "one minute charge", I envisioned a lightning rod attached to the back  :w00t:

Keep hands and arms inside the vehicle during charging to avoid electrocution hazard! :blink::D

The article below goes into greater detail (some what) on what looks to me like SOI technology. Still wondering how to get that charge rate without letting out the magic smoke. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5083367/Fisker-patent-solid-state-battery-charges-MINUTE.html

• Like 2

Thank you ^^^^; seems a promising development.

Electric cars are almost certainly the future but there is still the rather large problem of where does the energy come from.

Energy_US_2016.png

A very large portion of the United States total energy consumption is in transportation, approximately 28.6% of total energy production.  Since combustion engines are used and they aren't very efficient a large part of it, approximately 80% of the energy generated, is wasted but that small part that isn't is still very large.

From that graph it's about 5.86 quads of energy that is used for transportation, which is a lot of energy.  To put it in an energy unit that it better understood, 5.86 quads is about 1,717,396,548,333 kwh or 1,717 Twh.  That is a massive amount of energy to generate.  Given current electric generation efficiency, realistically you would have to produce 3 times that amount to reach the required energy.  

Since part of the goal of electric cars is to go green, for them to be viable then either a lot more coal/natural gas power plants or nuclear power plants need to be created cause green energy is no where close to producing that amount of energy.  Overall it would be a greener solution to just build more coal/natural gas/nuclear power plants then continuing to use combustion engines but try to convince an environmentalist of that is challenging.

Also with such fast charge times there would also be a large problem on how to distribute the energy quickly without either crashing the electric grid or having very large waste energy, a few cars wouldn't be a problem but a few million charging at 1 time might cause a massive energy spike that only last for a very short period of time.