Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bigfoot debunked but fun to mess with

Area201

This was my first (and only) blog post back in 2010 about getting to the bottom of taboo and paranormal subjects. I had fun making this post and making some early VR videos -the new technology coming out at the time. Bigfoot is great for commercials and selling stuff like most of the popular "monsters" around the world, drawing tourists in. 

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Maybe you think you've seen the legendary, hairy, smelly, ape-man yourself while traveling to the Pacific Northwest or the Himalayan mountain region. He's known by various names -Sasquatch, Wild Man, Yeti, Abominable Snowman - and generally simply known as Bigfoot. But lets face it, what you really saw was either a type of bear or other animal, a man in an ape suit (maybe even with bad hygiene), or a hoax video involving one. Such was the case with the most famous footage of the creature -the 1967 Patterson-Gimlin film (an acquaintance of Patterson's claimed that he had worn an ape costume for the making of the film years later on[1]).

Today you are more likely to see Bigfoot being "messed with" in a Jack Link's Beef Jerky commercial or in one of the many YouTube Bigfoot parody videossuch as those made by ButchyKid624 under No Budget Productions. You might even know of him by first name Harry (from the show Harry and the Hendersons). Either way, you are almost guaranteed to get a laugh.

"Holy **** it's Bigfoot!" ButchyKid had some entertaining videos initially, but they have over time degraded significantly. The Jack Link's commercials, on the other hand, really maximize the whole fun nature you can have with the concept at a high budget quality production. Some of their best clips show Sasquatch get teased with Beef Jerky and really messed around with in all sorts of ways, agitating the man-beast to the point where he's pressed to get his revenge on the pranksters in a way only a Legendary Sasquatch can. I checked out their website and found that you can even direct and make your own Sasquatch movie involving a 3D digital animation of Sasquatch. I made "Cups  and Sasquatch" and "Sasquatch Refuses to Clean Room". I recommend clicking on the above links which include the sound (YouTube below are without sound). Check em out:)

As for the serious arguments and substantial evidence that is given to support the existence of Bigfoot.. there really isn't any. With all the hundreds, if not thousands of Bigfoot sightings, I have yet to see one specimen or a skeleton. The existence of Bigfoot is seriously discounted by the majority of scientists and considered to be a combination of folklore misidentification, and hoax, rather than a legitimate animal, in part because some estimate large numbers necessary to maintain a breeding population[2]. The most common "evidence" presented are footprint casts, but these can easily be faked as is found in many of the cases.

Perhaps the best and only really intriguing footage I've seen for the possible existence of an unknown creature such as this was in Season 2: Episode 1 of "Destination Truth" hosted by Josh Gates. The team traveled to the Himalayas of Nepal mountain region looking to spot a Yeti (the colder region version of Bigfoot). Using his wit and humor, Josh managed to reach a  Buddhist temple where they show what is supposed to be a Yeti scalp. But unfortunately the team was not allowed to take it home for analysis. Previous hair samples taken from that scalp have led to the conclusion by scientists that the samples didn't even come from a scalp but from a coarse-haired hoofed animal [3]. This analysis coupled with the fact that the keepers of the "Yeti scalp" won't permit any thorough scientific examination, makes the whole thing rather suspicious and unconvincing.

The Destination Truth team did manage, however, to find a couple of footprints high in the Himalayas of Nepal while in search of evidence of the Yeti. The prints were cast and analyzed by Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum, a leading evolutionary morphologist. Preliminary data suggests that the footprints are anatomically legitimate and do not belong to a known primate.[4]  What troubles me about this however, is that with all their high tech gear, night-vision and thermal heat-sensing cameras, they failed to capture any footage of the creature who supposedly just walked passed them! The "Yeti footprint" is inconclusive at best in proving Bigfoot or the Yeti exist, as there is still lack of scientifically examined physical evidence like a skeleton. I've watched many of the Destination Truth episodes and found that this particular one was, by far their best. Apparently running out of monsters to search for, Josh and his team have resorted to searching for the most unlikely of creatures to exist such as the elusive "Jersey Devil" (Season 3: Episode 12).

One other story of note that shows how far people are willing to go bring Bigfoot to existence took place in 2008. Two men claimed they had discovered the body of a deceased Sasquatch in a forest in northern Georgia which drew much media attention. Soon after a press conference, the alleged Bigfoot body arrived in a block of ice in a freezer with a "Searching for Bigfoot" team. When the contents were thawed, it was discovered that the hair was not real, the head was hollow, and the feet were rubber. Bigfoot searchers subsequently admitted it was a hoax after being confronted by Steve Kulls, executive director of Squatchdetective.com[5].

The bottom line is that, no matter how much people would like Bigfoot to exist, he doesn't. The good news is that we can mess with and have fun with this character all we want, much like Geico messes with the Cavemen. But oh yeah, unlike the mythical Bigfoot they turned out to be still around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence.

Possibly a correct statement. Although there is no evidence for a city of old in Texas do you think that the absence of evidence allows for the existence of a city of gold?

BF has been searched for and searched for and the fact that nothing tangible has turned up in decades certainly suggests that we have evidence of absence.

• Like 2

One of the issues I have is often BF and UFOs/ETs are clumped together when talking about unexplained mysteries. I find the latter a serious subject with supporting evidence, whereas the former the opposite. 

I enjoy the fantasy of Bigfoot. He's fun and sells a lot of "Huntin Squatch" hats and t-shirts on top of all the fun things he's done for advertising. 

Bigfoot hasn't been debunked, and never will be. It's an irrational belief, that's based on desire and a willingness to exclude all reasonable thought on the matter. You'll never debunk that, at least not in the minds if those that believe. It'll just go out of fashion one day, but you'll never kill it till it does.

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 2

I believe in the existence of Bigfoot but consider it in its totality to be outside the box of current scientific understanding. Eyewitness, video, footprint, DNA, aboriginal knowledge and psychic evidence leads me to that belief. 

I think the OP confuses the words 'evidence' and 'proof'. Evidence is not proof, but leads one towards or away from belief.

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe in the existence of Bigfoot but consider it in its totality to be outside the box of current scientific understanding. Eyewitness, video, footprint, DNA, aboriginal knowledge and psychic evidence leads me to that belief. 

I think the OP confuses the words 'evidence' and 'proof'. Evidence is not proof, but leads one towards or away from belief.

You believe everything. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You believe everything. 

Only what  reason dictates.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Only what  reason dictates.

According to all the anecdotal evidence I've been presented. You believe everything. I do mean everything. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You believe everything. 

Sorry Xeno, going to have to correct you there...parageorge does not believe in logic and facts.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Sorry Xeno, going to have to correct you there...parageorge does not believe in logic and facts.

Yeah, I see the error of my ways. Both you and Bigfoot told me a tad to later. Now the lizardman from nibiru is look rather angry at me.

Edited by XenoFish
Stupid auto correct.
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I believe in the existence of Bigfoot .

Evidence is not proof, but leads one towards or away from belief.

And you always head towards the belief....based on the "evidence", even when it has been proven wrong.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah, I see the error of my ways. Both you and Bigfoot told me a tad to later. Now the lizardman from movie I is look rather angry at me.

Er, that lizardman is our queen.

• Like 2

Just now, freetoroam said:

And you always head towards the belief....based on the "evidence", even when it has been proven wrong.

Give me one example of something I believe in that has been proven (as opposed to just 'claimed') wrong.

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Give me one example of something I believe in that has been proven (as opposed to just 'claimed') wrong.

Bigfoot.......dude.;) 

There is no evidence which has proven the exsistance of bigfoot.

How about Uri? You want to go down that route again.????????....dude.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Bigfoot.......dude.;) 

There is no evidence which has proven the exsistance of bigfoot.

How about Uri? You want to go down that route again.????????....dude.

Where in that is the proof that bigfoot doesn't exist? You are moving the goalposts from the original statement you made: 'even when it has been proven wrong'.

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Where in that is the proof that bigfoot doesn't exist? You are moving the goalposts from the original statement you made: 'even when it has been proven wrong'.

videos of men in hairy suits proven to be faked....DNA which has been identified as bear or other animals...

You are getting confused again parag, the proving part is based on the evidence and the evidence has been proven wrong .....or better still explainable ........and well inside the box of current scientific understanding. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Maussan's Peruvian "alien" mummies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

videos of men in hairy suits proven to be faked

Can you point  us to the PROOF that the all bigfoot videos are men in hairy suits?

Edited by papageorge1

2 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Maussan's Peruvian "alien" mummies.

Then provide the PROOF.

1 minute ago, Carnoferox said:

I am only familiar with an English speaking thread?

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Can you point  us to the PROOF that the all bigfoot videos are men in hairy suits?

I will just highlight the most famous one.. 

Now your turn...show us a video proving bigfoot is out there.

• Like 1

Just now, papageorge1 said:

I am only familiar with an English speaking thread?

That is a link to the analysis of the mummy x-rays by Peruvian paleontologist Dr. Rodolfo-Salas Gismondi, who shows that they have been made up from human bones. The article can easily be translated using Google Translate.

• Like 1