Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat Earthers

HolyHandGr3nade

So, If you any of you out there happen to be a flat earth believer, which I hope isn't the case, but if you are, what is your best argument to prove your case.  Or, what is the best piece of evidence you have that makes you believe what you do so that I can try to understand why you believe in the flat earth.

That's a no-brainer. It's called a complete lack of common sense.......

• Like 3

There is no case, I doubt any of the flat earthers are actually stupid enough to believe their own nonsense, it's more something they can argue about just for the sake of arguing. I reckon it takes a "special" sort of person to take up that torch to begin with. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I doubt any of the flat earthers are actually stupid enough to believe their own nonsense

Never underestimate stupid.

• Like 5

Or aholes ;)

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

I think you can't understand The Crazy without becoming The Crazy.

If anything a flat Earther tells you make sense, then it's time to hie yourself to a mental care professional.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 4

I'm glad no one actually responded believing that hysterical nonsense, I was just hoping to hear an argument from some nut that does believe in it.  I want to understand why people believe crazy **** that is proven without a doubt 100% to be false.  I mean I hear you all, but some decent people can get sucked into something ridiculous like flat earth by spending a couple hours on the wrong end of youtube or read a few articles on the internet and become totally convinced, especially those who have been fairly sheltered their whole lives and can easily be conned into believing almost anything.  It's sad but it's a reality that we still have to deal with.  

We had a poster here who did believe the flat earth nonsense but I don't think they stuck around for too long.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear that.  I thought posting in the conspiracy page would bring forth some kind of nonsense, but again I am glad UM has a majority of rational people.

I understand Norfolk is flat. That’s a start?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I spent 3 hours reading "The earth is flat" website. I took down some notes and I do think (and I hope I'm right), the whole movement/website/etc it's a social experiment. I think that the ones who started this non sense are quite aware of the stupidity of this idea but they want to see how many people will change their minds around "vague" explanations just to become part of something. Their forums have so many members that will discuss and give (according to them) proof of why the earth is flat and why the rest of us "live in a lie" that proves the point that some people will grab an stupid idea and the more and more they read about it they start to believe in this idea even if they can't even explain why. This whole experiment (in my opinion) also proves human desire of believing in something controversial just for the sake of it, being special, being part of a minority that "discovered something that others can't" which can apply to several beliefs.

I can't explain why I believe this is a social experiment but it sure looks like it. 

Edited by MrBene
grammar
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, MrBene said:

Last night I spent 3 hours reading "The earth is flat" website. I took down some notes and I do think (and I hope I'm right), the whole movement/website/etc it's a social experiment. I think that the ones who started this non sense are quite aware of the stupidity of this idea but they want to see how many people will change their minds around "vague" explanations just to become part of something. Their forums have so many members that will discuss and give (according to them) proof of why the earth is flat and why the rest of us "live in a lie" that proves the point that some people will grab an stupid idea and the more and more they read about it they start to believe in this idea even if they can't even explain why. This whole experiment (in my opinion) also proves human desire of believing in something controversial just for the sake of it, being special, being part of a minority that "discovered something that others can't" which can apply to several beliefs.

I can't explain why I believe this is a social experiment but it sure looks like it. 

It's kind of like a religion. Many religions were started on the same basis. Heck one very popular religion is based on a godman that is supposed to come back and save them all. But he never does because he didn't exist in the first place. But yea I think you are correct that it may be a social experiment.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 7:21 PM, MrBene said:

I understand others here have tried something similar.

Me, I'm in direct telepathic rapport with a race of ancient, omniscient and omnipotent basset hounds who created mankind to act as their servitors before they bogged off to wherever ancient, omniscient, and omnipotent space basset hounds go. That's  not stupid or vague. It's just good science. Many here share my truth.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 5

I get a laugh out of some of those flat earth videos but then I get a freight when reading some of the comments because, if those that believe such non sense are reproducing they are passing on their asinine dna. That, scares me. 

On 11/22/2017 at 11:40 PM, psyche101 said:

There is no case, I doubt any of the flat earthers are actually stupid enough to believe their own nonsense, it's more something they can argue about just for the sake of arguing. I reckon it takes a "special" sort of person to take up that torch to begin with. 

I feel the same.   They miss being on the debate team.

I browsed around a flat earth forum, and couldn't find any proof of flat Earth.  Their "evidence" is trying to prove the Earth is not flat.

• Like 1

In one thread they were discussing if people at their workplace knew they were flat Earthers.   Here is one of the answers:

Everyone at my place knows my thoughts.
I don't walk about with a sign proclaiming a flat earth to them but they know I totally oppose the globe that most people adhere to.

I've had many conversations with many staff and some are intrigued, yet others are instantly dismissive to the point of stand your ground absolute 100% knowledge and yet when I ask how they know, some simply just say..."well everybody knows"...

It's obvious.
Gravity.
We go that fast we just stick to the Earth.

They're some of the more thoughtful answers.

The regular answers are generally the two I first mentioned.
People working in innovation and yet refuse to look at the most basic logic of water being level and flat because they mention Earth speed and gravity, just like that.

I say, so you believe that wholeheartedly and know what it all is.
Their answers are usually something like " well, no, but history and books and such, plus top scientists know."

A certain amount of people know me as a conspiracy theorist and a strong willed inquisitive character.
I generally wait for people to mention stuff that peaks their interest and then I'll pipe in with a few what if scenarios to try and smooth the conversation rather than stifle them into shield up deflection.

It's weird how some people go into an attempted walk away type attitude whilst looking with a shocked face at you with one hand up and a WHAT type mentality, as if they're totally clued up.

I generally just say " well ok, you explain to me what's what."
That's usually enough to have them say " well, ermmm....well........well listen to what's said and the discoveries and the advancements into space" and as soon as they reel something like that off, they look back at you with a smug and odd look and say " ohhhhh you don't believe in any of that either, do you?"

I just say " no, but I'll leave you to ponder it....or not."
Generally you get a portion that come back with questions because you've got them thinking.

Some actually start to see that it's extremely possible they've been duped.
I'd never stand out and proclaim anything to a crowd because it's like feeding meat to crocs then realising your clothes are soaked in meat juices after you see the crowd moving in and ready to devour you.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=73162.0

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/12/2017 at 2:21 PM, MrBene said:

Well, there is fake stupid and real stupid.

China recently sent their Rabbit rover to the Moon and took this image of the lower stage of the Apollo 17 stage, conclusively proving that we landed on the moon.

You would assume that all individuals who believed that the moon landings were faked would admit defeat, and well, grow some brains, but looking at this YT reply, nope.

In a nutshell, some said that the Chinese landing was also fake!

And others said that the only thing that would convince these types is a bullet in the head, (which l can understand).

Overwhelming evidence should convince, but in this world, it tends to just p***s people off!

B)

21 minutes ago, tmcom said:

Well, there is fake stupid and real stupid.

China recently sent their Rabbit rover to the Moon and took this image of the lower stage of the Apollo 17 stage, conclusively proving that we landed on the moon.

You would assume that all individuals who believed that the moon landings were faked would admit defeat, and well, grow some brains, but looking at this YT reply, nope.

In a nutshell, some said that the Chinese landing was also fake!

And others said that the only thing that would convince these types is a bullet in the head, (which l can understand).

Overwhelming evidence should convince, but in this world, it tends to just p***s people off!

B)

Denialism is a lot easier to accept and it goes down smoother with a dose of stupid.

• Like 1