Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wolves' return to Oregon brings conflict

Still Waters

Wolves were once so plentiful in the abundant forests that would become Oregon that the earliest settlers gathered from far and wide to discuss how to kill them.

Those "wolf meetings" in the 1840s, spawned by a common interest, eventually led to the formation of the Oregon territory, the precursor for statehood in 1859.

Today, Oregon's statehood is secure, but the future of its wolf population once more hangs in the balance. Wolves have returned after decades, and this time, humans are having a much more contentious discussion about what to do with them.

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-wolves-oregon-conflict-opportunity.html?

• Like 3

I just had one of my fellow farm techs crying about the coyotes and a longtail release. I Told him "Live with it. They were on this continent first, like my people".

• Like 1

Ignorant, uneducated idiot ranchers and hunters are the problem. ( I used to be an avid hunter, and not saying all hunters.)

Not just in Oregon, but Arizona, Wyoming, and other places.

If they would just educate themselves, and not listen to hear say, and opinions as facts, there would be no problem.

I hate people.

In the story it mentions a wolf killed in self defense. That is a lie. First, Wolves do NOT attack people, they hide from them. He said it was coming at him, that is a lie.....Article on that below. It does not have the pics that are posted, but they clearly show an entrance wound in the side, and exit wound on opposite side further towards chest. Obviously the Wolf was walking or running away. This entire Wolf killing thing in the US makes me sick.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/claim-of-self-defense-in-oregon-wolf-killing-draws-skeptics/490069160

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Sakari said:

I hate people.

In the story it mentions a wolf killed in self defense. That is a lie. First, Wolves do NOT attack people, they hide from them. He said it was coming at him, that is a lie.....Article on that below. It does not have the pics that are posted, but they clearly show an entrance wound in the side, and exit wound on opposite side further towards chest. Obviously the Wolf was walking or running away. This entire Wolf killing thing in the US makes me sick.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/claim-of-self-defense-in-oregon-wolf-killing-draws-skeptics/490069160

Nothing attacks people unless it was screwed with first. A mountain lion will stalk you for your dogs. Or stalk you if you stalk it. Coywolves will run right by you even at night. Maybe the alpha female will stop to growl or yelp at you. Bobcats will watch you (don't get close) then just meander in the other direction.

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

Nothing attacks people unless it was screwed with first. A mountain lion will stalk you for your dogs. Or stalk you if you stalk it. Coywolves will run right by you even at night. Maybe the alpha female will stop to growl or yelp at you. Bobcats will watch you (don't get close) then just meander in the other direction.

Mountain Lions will and have attacked unprovoked. Bears will and have attacked, and other animals also. Wolves, nope.( very rare times, with very un normal circumstances, including human interference) Human attacks by wild healthy wolves in Alaska from 1900 to 2011 is zero. Does it mean we go out and kill animals that attacked people that went into their turf? No. Do we kill things because we re-introduced them after killing them off once, because they are killing occasional livestock? No. Government pays for those, and what do people expect? Give carnivores easy food, they will eventually take some. Anyway, I could write a book on this....

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sakari said:

Mountain Lions will and have attacked unprovoked. Bears will and have attacked, and other animals also. Wolves, nope.( very rare times, with very un normal circumstances, including human interference) Human attacks by wild healthy wolves in Alaska from 1900 to 2011 is zero. Does it mean we go out and kill animals that attacked people that went into their turf? No. Do we kill things because we re-introduced them after killing them off once, because they are killing occasional livestock? No. Government pays for those, and what do people expect? Give carnivores easy food, they will eventually take some. Anyway, I could write a book on this....

Around here a bear will attack if it has a cub or if your dumb enough to be sleeping next to your food. But a lion has to be screwed with by a human in one point in it's life. They just don't forget what hurt them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Around here a bear will attack if it has a cub or if your dumb enough to be sleeping next to your food. But a lion has to be screwed with by a human in one point in it's life. They just don't forget what hurt them. 

Mountain Lions anywhere can, and will on occasion attack people. Without having been screwed with. It is backpacking/hiking 101 anywhere in the US to know this.

California alone:  https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Mountain-Lion/Attacks

Anyway, this topic is about Wolves. They are harmless.

Edited by Sakari

Very few creatures will attack unprovoked. They don't have a support system like humans. If they get badly hurt without becoming someone's lunch, often they die, slowly starving or to infection. If there is no basic need to attack they retreat. Food, territory, and protection are their motivators. Even deer will mess up your day if you are stupid. Every lion attack I have heard of was either hunger or someone fleeing provoking cat response to pounce. Usually a young lion. They will stalk humans, mostly I believe out of curiosity. Cats are crazy.

No predator is harmless. These are not domesticated animals. They will take advantage of a situation if it benefits them. Animals leave humans alone mostly because we don't taste good and we are dangerous. I like the idea of wolves in the woods. I don't really fear them, but I don't take them for granted either. I respect them. They are not malevolent, but they are not benevolent either. They are surviving. 

As to the story very few things that happen in the woods unwitnessed match the tale later. Forensics will get you every time. Using a defense straight out of South Park probably isn't wise.