Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mum asks school to remove Sleeping Beauty

Still Waters

A mother has asked for Sleep Beauty to be removed from the classes of younger children at her son's primary school as it promotes “inappropriate” sexual behaviour.

Sarah Hall, from Northumberland Park, near Newcastle, raised the issue after her six-year-old  brought home a children's book version of the fairytale.

The mother-of-two said she was concerned about the message that the story, where a prince kisses Sleeping Beauty to wake her from her cursed slumber, sent younger children.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/23/mother-calls-sleeping-beauty-banned-primary-school-promotes/

• Like 3

:blink: Who's her hero? Oliver Cromwell? This Puritan/ Evangelical crap is way outta hand.....

• Like 2

There is a point to be made about the consent part, no? This is probably taking it a bit far, but I've read that Disney does have a lot of weird and inappropriate stuff hidden in their films.

• Like 1

So out of curiosity, how does reading Sleeping Beauty encourage boys to become sexual abusers? I read it, other's read it, and well it's a story. I think most sane kids can tell the difference, I'm wondering how many adults can't. I think she needs to read all the Grimm versions of those disney tales. 

• Like 3

Sleeping Beauty, the new Kama Sutra.....

• Like 5

Actually let me correct my bias statement. Where is the middle (i.e. common sense) anymore? You either have these ultra-liberals or ultra-conservatives. There is no middle ground. It's idiotic!.......... actually it might be part of the process where we are Darwining ourselves out......

• Like 5

I guess Disney Snow White would have to be saved for older children too :hmm: While I can understand parental concern over the topic of sexual consent, as in is it ok to kiss an unconscious person or not.... I think that mom is reading into the fairy tale a bit much and projecting the topic onto her child a bit too early.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

There is no middle ground

There is a middle ground where common sense exist. It's that place were you look at both sides and :rolleyes:.

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

There is a middle ground where common sense exist. It's that place were you look at both sides and :rolleyes:.

I thought it was :blink:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rashore said:

I think that mom is reading into the fairy tale a bit much and projecting the topic onto her child a bit too early.

Isn't that the case with almost everything now? I didn't know the term microaggression actually existed till a few months ago. Now it seems more and more where people are going over the top concerning rather mundane things. I had to read Treasure Island and I didn't become a pirate.

• Like 2

a children's book version of the fairytale.

As opposed to what? This?

The story of Sleeping Beauty originates from the tale of the Sun, Moon, and Talia by the 16th century Italian poet Giambattista Basile. In the original telling a princess falls asleep under a spell and is raped by a king who finds her in her palace while out hunting. The princess later wakes up, falls in love with the king and marries him.

There seems to be some disagreement about the King's behavior in the Basile version.

http://www.timsheppard.co.uk/story/stories/pent29.html

... the King ordered them to fetch a vine-dresser's ladder, wishing himself to scale the house and see what was inside. Then he mounted the ladder, and going through the whole palace, he stood aghast at not finding there any living person. At last he came to the room where Talia was lying, as if enchanted; and when the King saw her, he called to her, thinking that she was asleep, but in vain, for she still slept on, however loud he called. So, after admiring her beauty awhile, the King returned home to his kingdom, where for a long time he forgot all that had happened.

The princess is later woken by some young children, unrelated to any action by the King.

Did the translator clean it up? Is there another Italian version? I don't know, but something is strange here.

Oh - and on the merits, Al Franken wasn't rescuing anybody from supernatural mischief when he groped the unconscious woman in the now notorious photograph. I think many people would see some difference between assisting somebody who is helpless with a minimally invasive intervention and sexual battery, played for laughs. The mother in the book case needs some perspective, IMO.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, eight bits said:

As opposed to what? This?

There seems to be some disagreement about the King's behavior in the Basile version.

http://www.timsheppard.co.uk/story/stories/pent29.html

The princess is later woken by some young children, unrelated to any action by the King.

Did the translator clean it up? Is there another Italian version? I don't know, but something is strange here.

Oh - and on the merits, Al Franken wasn't rescuing anybody from supernatural mischief when he groped the unconscious woman in the now notorious photograph. I think many people would see some difference between assisting somebody who is helpless with a minimally invasive intervention and sexual battery, played for laughs. The mother in the book case needs some perspective, IMO.

Yes, the childrens book version is not that version. There's a picture of the childrens book in question in the OP article.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

There is a point to be made about the consent part, no? This is probably taking it a bit far, but I've read that Disney does have a lot of weird and inappropriate stuff hidden in their films.

Disney didnae* invent it. I think it was the Brothers Grimm wasn't it. Surely we all know that all these fairy tales, traditional stories & suchlike often have very dark undertones. 

* see what I did there

** oh no, I find it's even older than that. It was originally a tale published by Charles Perrault in Histoires ou contes du temps passé in 1697.[1]

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Disney didnae* invent it. I think it was the Brothers Grimm wasn't it. Surely we all know that all these fairy tales, traditional stories & suchlike often have very dark undertones. 

* see what I did there

** oh no, I find it's even older than that. It was originally a tale published by Charles Perrault in Histoires ou contes du temps passé in 1697.[1]

Trust me, ye dinnae want me tae start typin lik that tae. Al be gittin called a bawbag by aw the ither members.

Good point about Disney.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, rashore said:

I guess Disney Snow White would have to be saved for older children too :hmm: While I can understand parental concern over the topic of sexual consent, as in is it ok to kiss an unconscious person or not.... I think that mom is reading into the fairy tale a bit much and projecting the topic onto her child a bit too early.

It all depends upon one's perspective...but today we live in age where we are all learning about what has been going on behind the scenes for quite sometime.  And it all begins with 'grooming' to accept certain attitudes as okay.  While a Prince kissing a Sleeping girl under a witches spell was once a Fairytale...in today's societal upheavals...drug/date rape, etc....I can see where her concerns are somewhat validated...although I think she is a bit paranoid.  But then again...just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they are not out to get your children.

It's a sad day when we can't even read scrubbed fairy tales to children. 

It's like George Carlin said. 

Sooner or later, kids will just be standing around, and then some kid will get a cramp in his leg...and it'll be goodbye to standing around. 

• Like 7

The new ending to "Sleeping Beauty"...

And so after facing all the obstacles both magical and natural, that fate had placed in his path and having climbed to the tallest tower and finding the Princess sleeping her magical sleep. The Prince realized that only a kiss placed upon her could wake her from her enchanted sleeping curse. Leaning gently over her, mere moments from placing the kiss, he pauses.

"Wait! This helpless damsel can'st not giveth of her own consent! Surely to place a kiss - e'en one so chaste - would'st be as an assault upon her person, her dignity and her personhood. Alas. I must not violate such a person and so I shall leave her to lie here, alone, covered in the dust of the ages, and let her sleep - with her dignity intact, through the long ages left upon this Earth."

And so the Noble Prince left the Sleeping Woman (For to call her "Beauty" would be to objectify her and lessen her self value as a person) to sleep away forever. Cursed eternally to sleep, yet free from unwanted sexual "assault", and beholden to no mere man.

Until one day the rats finally found her body and well... you know...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, Taun said:

And so after facing all the obstacles both magical and natural, that fate had placed in his path and having climbed to the tallest tower and finding the Princess sleeping her magical sleep. The Prince realized that only a kiss placed upon her could wake her from her enchanted sleeping curse. Leaning gently over her, mere moments from placing the kiss, he pauses.

"Wait! This helpless damsel can'st not giveth of her own consent! Surely to place a kiss - e'en one so chaste - would'st be as an assault upon her person, her dignity and her personhood. Alas. I must not violate such a person and so I shall leave her to lie here, alone, covered in the dust of the ages, and let her sleep - with her dignity intact, through the long ages left upon this Earth."

And so the Noble Prince left the Sleeping Woman (For to call her "Beauty" would be to objectify her and lessen her self value as a person) to sleep away forever. Cursed eternally to sleep, yet free from unwanted sexual "assault", and beholden to no mere man.

She'd have hated the Noble Prince anyway, being a committed anti-monarchist and dedicated to the eradication of this outdated institution that exists purely as a parasite on the poor and the Oppressed Working Classes. :unsure2: 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Trust me, ye dinnae want me tae start typin lik that tae. Al be gittin called a bawbag by aw the ither members.

Good point about Disney.

Lowlander from Dun Eiden. Ye soon like ruvvisht

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Lowlander from Dun Eiden. Ye soon like ruvvisht

Sorry mate, am fae the central belt. Whitiver you wrote must be fae Teuchter-land. Couldnae underston aw ae it!

Right, that's enough ae that patter.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

Sorry mate, am fae the central belt. Whitiver you wrote must be fae Teuchter-land. Couldnae underston aw ae it!

Right, that's enough ae that patter.

West Riding!

FENWICKS! NO PRINCE BUT A PERCY!

• Like 3

Geez just how damn sensitive are people these days?!? It's gonna turn a whole generation into a big bunch of scaredy cats who will be too afraid to do anything. I'm so effing fed up with how everything you say or do today is soooo terrible. Sleeping beauty sending out wrong signals...give me a ****ing break!!! yeah I said a bad word so i guess I'll be banned now...

• Like 1

She only heard of this story after her daughter had read it?

I reckon she has bigger problems than sleeping beauty.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Taun said:

But wait...he can't just leave her sleeping...he must report it immediately, where a special prosecutor will present a case to a judge and jury to as why the Noble Perp should be allowed to kiss her without consent....Consent may well be given by the court...unless of course the Sleeping Woman has already filed a No Wake Clause in some insurance policy...then it would get sticky in the wickets.

• Like 1