Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WW2 wedding gowns made from parachute silk

Still Waters

World War II created challenges not only for the ones fighting on the front lines but also for those who stayed at home. One of the biggest was limited resources, meaning people had to do without many things for the sake of victory.

Once the war was over, returning to a normal life was not an easy task, especially when one considers how devastating the war years were. Rationing was still in place in the years that followed the war, and people had to be careful to use their money wisely because the cost of almost everything had risen.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/11/24/ww2-wedding-gowns-were-made-from-parachutes/

• Like 4

I remember my Grandmom Jowett telling me about a stocking shortage.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Piney said:

I remember my Grandmom Jowett telling me about a stocking shortage.

My mom told me that stockings (nylons) became next to impossible to find. Since the stockings of the day had a seam down the back, the girls would paint a seam down the backs of their legs and pretend they were wearing them...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Taun said:

the girls would paint a seam down the backs of their legs and pretend they were wearing them...

:lol: I forgot about that! Grandmother probably just wore a gown or walked around with her jodhpurs on. 

• Like 3

The Queen and Prince Philip celebrated their 70th anniversary on 20th November - and the then Princess Elizabeth had to buy her dress with ration coupons.

• Like 1