Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

184 killed in attack on Egyptian mosque

The Caspian Hare

CAIRO:  The death toll from an attack on a mosque in Egypt's Sinai on Friday rose to 184, state television reported.

At least 125 were wounded, the report said.

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Article link removed due to graphic content - news story can be found on Google News

Sadly I dont even understand enough about Egyptian politics to know why this happened :(

• Like 2

Over 200 now

CAIRO: The death toll in a militant attack on a mosque in Egypt’s north Sinai region has risen to 235, Egyptian state television said on Friday.

Edited by Saru
Link removed due to graphic content
  • Like 1

I don't understand why anyone would want to worship a god that they believe requires this.

• Like 6

So sad. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to comprehend how their minds work. The terrorists were apparently shooting at ambulances too.

Grateful to live in a country with much less risk of this happening, but sad to live in a world where it still does. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

I don't understand why anyone would want to worship a god that they believe requires this.

My sentiments exactly.

• Like 2

if done by ISIS understandable, they have lost ground and are collapsing to keep up the appearance got to do something. hope the west closes the gates soon. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kartikg said:

if done by ISIS understandable, they have lost ground and are collapsing to keep up the appearance got to do something. hope the west closes the gates soon. 

I agree, but as we've seen, even after their overt organization has been crushed they'll still have the ability to draw sympathizers and financiers.  They may actually become more dangerous to us in the west at that point.  The most chilling aspect of the image I saw of the scene wasn't the bloodied shrouds on the mosque floor.  It was the seeming sense of normality of the people walking around them.  I fear that the day may come when every corner of the world will be like that.

• Like 2

This is so sad. I feel terrible for the families and people who were involved. This is the largest attack ever in Egypt and a very rare attack to take place on a mosque. It's usually Coptic Christian churches that are targeted. I found this in the same article that I can't link because of images:

most of the victims were Sufi Muslims, who practice a mystical form of Islam that the Islamic State and other Sunni extremist groups deem heretical.

• Like 2

They believe the initial bomb blast was done by suicide bomber. 235 dead 169 injured. They shot at the people running out of the mosque. This article says the clerics are shocked:

But even by recent standards in Egypt, where militants have blown up Christian worshipers as they knelt at church pews and gunned down pilgrims in buses, the attack on Friday was unusually ruthless.

“I can’t believe they attacked a mosque,” a Muslim cleric in Bir al-Abed said by phone, requesting anonymity for fear he could also be attacked.

On 11/25/2017 at 5:45 AM, kartikg said:

I think it's too late for that, especially in Europe thanks to their irrational unvetted policy on migrants in recent times.  It'll take years (if ever) to sort out all the cells scheming in the shadows.

• Like 1