Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman Killed By Hunter

susieice

nope, i have no clue what you trying to say,  200 yards is fine for weapon that is made to shoot that far. he did hit the target with 1 shot, so hitting a target was not an issue, id ing it was)

anyone who does not feel comfortable using pistol does not use one, it is not like you have to.    anyone who does not feel comfortable shooting long distance does not shoot long distance, i do not, my .44 mag rifle is only good up to 100-150 yards. so i do not take shots that are beyond 100 yards.

i aim for the heart, i try to do 1 shot kill, as every hunter that i know. sometimes we miss, or hit in none vital and deer runs away to die somewhere miles away, it can happen with any rifle, at any distance, even at point blank range

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

A New York man has been charged with second-degree manslaughter after he shot and killed a woman he says he mistook for a deer.

Thomas Jadlowski, 34, pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter charge and hunting after hours on Thursday. His bail was set at $50,000 cash or $100,000 property. The charges carry a maximum prison sentence of 15 years.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/hunter-says-mistook-woman-deer-charged-manslaughter-021205140--abc-news-topstories.html

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:02 PM, susieice said:

OK. I'm asking for this, I know. I just wonder what your opinions are about what happened. The hunter was using a pistol to hunt deer about 40 minutes after sunset. He shot and killed a woman out walking her dogs in a field. He called 911 and stayed with her until help arrived. People in the comments section want him charged. I think he should be also but no charges so far. I'll try to find a better link.

http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2017/11/hunter_out_after_sunset_shoots.html

Not an accident when illegally hunting after sundown. I do hope he only gets community service and restitution, it would be a shame to see this guy jailed. 

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Not an accident when illegally hunting after sundown. I do hope he only gets community service and restitution, it would be a shame to see this guy jailed. 

Why?

6 minutes ago, susieice said:

Why?

I think jail should only be reserved for the worse of the worse. Those who make the conscious choice to be evil. What happens when we put people who just made mistakes in cages with those who are truly evil is the (further) corruption of those who made mistakes. 

The guy should face punishment for sure. Maybe be forced to do a school speaking circuit on gun safety in addition to monetary compensation to the family of the deceased. I'm also a fan of labor for those kinds of offenses, let him spend his next 300 weekends digging wells or washing dishes for the homeless. Don't completely ruin one life over the accidental taking of another though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

I think jail should only be reserved for the worse of the worse. Those who make the conscious choice to be evil. What happens when we put people who just made mistakes in cages with those who are truly evil is the (further) corruption of those who made mistakes. 

The guy should face punishment for sure. Maybe be forced to do a school speaking circuit on gun safety in addition to monetary compensation to the family of the deceased. I'm also a fan of labor for those kinds of offenses, let him spend his next 300 weekends digging wells or washing dishes for the homeless. Don't completely ruin one life over the accidental taking of another though. 

I asked you because this killing occurred during the commission of a crime. He should not have been hunting after dark when visibility is next to nothing. He was also on private property without permission and knowledge that he was in a somewhat residential area.

• Like 1

Just now, susieice said:

I asked you because this killing occurred during the commission of a crime. He should not have been hunting after dark when visibility is next to nothing. He was also on private property without permission and knowledge that he was in a somewhat residential area.

I know, I just don't think jail is appropriate in this case. I think Americans have a jail addiction problem which we need to break free from but that's probably a whole other thread. 

• Like 1

Don't know yet how this is going to end up because the investigation is still ongoing.

• Like 1

The hunter is being charged with manslaughter. The shooting happened in New York state, close to the Pennsylvania border. The woman was brought to a hospital in Erie, PA, where she died. 

http://www.pennlive.com/daily-buzz/2017/12/hunter_accused_of_mistaking_wo.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, Thanato said:

A shot with a pistol, even a longer barreled pistol at 200 meters is negligent anywhere but a range, even then only a range with either a few kilometer dead zone behind or a tall back stop. Its also unethical, from a hunting stand point. 

This individual was a negligent and unethical poacher who ended up killing a woman because he couldnt ID his target. 

Agreed.

It takes a lot of practice just to shoot accurately with a pistol at 25 yards, much less at 200. Shooting pistols requires constant practice. That dude had some crazy eyes -- "Every bullet fired...has a lawyer behind it."

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, aztek said:

anyone who does not feel comfortable using pistol does not use one, it is not like you have to. anyone who does not feel comfortable shooting long distance does not shoot long distance, i do not, my .44 mag rifle is only good up to 100-150 yards. so i do not take shots that are beyond 100 yards.

i aim for the heart, i try to do 1 shot kill, as every hunter that i know. sometimes we miss, or hit in none vital and deer runs away to die somewhere miles away, it can happen with any rifle, at any distance, even at point blank range

I have to agree. my 30-06 rifle is scoped for two hundred yards (as is my 300 savage and my 30-30)  and I have never needed more that one bullet and while I will not shoot much beyond that range( notice the word "much")  I know several hunters who do 300 and 400 yard kills on a yearly basis. I only used a range once to sight in my scope and have been hunting for many decades (since I was 16) now. when hunting if I need a stand I don't pull the trigger. most of my hunting partners say if you need a stand while hunting use a tree branch. it is very common.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 9:09 PM, Thanato said:

Poacher, Hunters follow regulations. Which if I am not mistaken forbids hunting after Sunset.

Depends. Some seasons allow night hunting but those are generally closed during regular deer seasons. I am out quite frequently between midnight and 4am for coyote, fox, or raccoon. They are all closed at night during deer season (In Pa).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jarocal said:

Depends. Some seasons allow night hunting but those are generally closed during regular deer seasons. I am out quite frequently between midnight and 4am for coyote, fox, or raccoon. They are all closed at night during deer season (In Pa).

Yes but he clearly stated he thought she was a deer.

17 hours ago, Jarocal said:

It is illegal to hunt deer after twilight in New York, which is where the shooting took place. She was taken to an Erie, PA hospital because the shooting happened just over the border.

Edited by susieice