Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman Killed By Hunter

susieice

OK. I'm asking for this, I know. I just wonder what your opinions are about what happened. The hunter was using a pistol to hunt deer about 40 minutes after sunset. He shot and killed a woman out walking her dogs in a field. He called 911 and stayed with her until help arrived. People in the comments section want him charged. I think he should be also but no charges so far. I'll try to find a better link.

http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2017/11/hunter_out_after_sunset_shoots.html

• Like 3

Be patient; they're just toting up the charges. Negligent homicide for a start.

OK, just saw your update. Some old Tom Leher lyrics come to mind:

"For nothing could be done

for he was the mayor's son...."

If that's the case, there will be a great stink, and probably an indictment anyway.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 4

:( Sorry, I can't like this. It's rednecks like this that give real country people a bad name.:unsure:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, susieice said:

People in the comments section want him charged. I think he should be also ...

As do I ... the land / property in question where this occurred makes the nadir or the principle if it comes to charges ... negligent at the very least ...

~

• Like 5

Some were saying he was hunting after legal hours, which ends at sunset. Would that be poaching? Taking game illegally according to some.

• Like 5

Thanks and then. Wasn't sure if he would be poaching if he was hunting deer in season, but I guess illegal hours and being on someone's property can also carry the charge of poaching. 

• Like 1

A pistol to hunt deer?

If you're that close you should really see what you're shooting at.

What an... idiot.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 9

26 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

A pistol to hunt deer?

If you're that close you should really see what you're shooting at.

What an... idiot.

I thought that too Likely. The woman was in a field, not in the woods. How overgrown could it have been this time of year.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, susieice said:

I thought that too Likely. The woman was in a field, not in the woods. How overgrown could it have been this time of year.

If you can't see it clearly, don't shoot.

• Like 8

Bothers me too that he shot her in the hip. Just can't understand how he couldn't see it was a human being. I don't think she would have been walking the dogs in a field that was grown over her head. 

• Like 6

You don't shoot at what you can't see.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 9

Police said neighbor Thomas Jadlowski, 34, believed he saw a deer in a field 200 yards away when he fired the deadly shot.

The shooting was 40 minutes after sunset — a violation of state laws forbidding hunting in the dark.

He believed he saw a deer, he should have sure it was a deer. 40 minutes beyond the required time.

He should be charged no doubt.

• Like 3

As a hunter I can tell you the following, in most places hunting STOPs at 30 minutes past sunset, however some areas are closed down for the night at sunset. After that time it is considered POACHING mostly because  you need a spot light to find and target the animals. As a hunter I personally think the person doing the shooting should be prosecuted  for poaching if applicable and for negligence or an equivalent charge. One of the primary unwritten laws of hunting   never ever pull the trigger if you do not know what you are shooting at or where it (the bullet) will go if you miss. more than once I have not pulled the trigger because I didn't know where the bullet would end up. Granted I don't use a pistol.

as to the pistol  many states have a pistol season there again it depends on  what the law says as to if it was legal or should be an added charge due to the caliber of the pistol. 200 yards for a pistol?  the pistol had to be a large bore pistol (.50 magnum .44 magnum, .41 magnum .357 magnum). Here in wash. state those are the main hunting calibers for pistols

• Like 5

This is why our family walks through the woods are suspended during hunting season.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, mysticwerewolf said:

as to the pistol  many states have a pistol season there again it depends on  what the law says as to if it was legal or should be an added charge due to the caliber of the pistol. 200 yards for a pistol?  the pistol had to be a large bore pistol (.50 magnum .44 magnum, .41 magnum .357 magnum). Here in wash. state those are the main hunting calibers for pistols

in most cases  those are long barrel revolvers .44mag and up, with scopes, or special single shot brake barrel, hunting pistols, that often use rifle ammunition, those are  not regular handguns

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, aztek said:

in most cases  those are long barrel revolvers .44mag and up, with scopes, or special single shot brake barrel, hunting pistols, that often use rifle ammunition, those are  not regular handguns

that is what one of my hunting partners used .44 revolver with a scope. I'll stick to my trusty 30-06.

• Like 1

Based on description the pistol sounds like a Thompson Contender, a single-shot pistol that can change barrels easily and fire many calibers, including rifle calibers

Not rare but not exactly that common either, they are used for hunting sometimes (you can mount a scope on these too)

0.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

Based on description the pistol sounds like a Thompson Contender, a single-shot pistol that can change barrels easily and fire many calibers, including rifle calibers

Not rare but not exactly that common either, they are used for hunting sometimes (you can mount a scope on these too)

0.jpg

How do you load it? I can’t see any breach (that’s the right word right? The place where a bullet goes before being fired).

I know a guy in my community that accidently killed his wife when he was checking a gun for ammo and the gun went off and shot her in the head.

He shouldn't have been pointing the gun in her direction when he was checking it. He got 4 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, aztek said:

yep, 200+ yards with TC using rife ammo, super easy

Yeah, I don't even know why people are questioning the use of the pistol range-wise.  He was clearly able to hit her from 200 yards out with a single shot.

• Like 1