Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best photographic evidence of a ghost?

The Haunted Bay

We are filmmakers who document paranormal investigations. Recently we filmed the Alameda Paranormal Researchers during an investigation at the Warfield Theater in San Francisco. One of the investigators caught something on her Flir camera. We were there and we are 100% sure no one was there and nothing was faked. They tried to debunk it several ways, even contacting the camera company to ask for rational explanations and no one has been able to find one yet. Below is the video. Please watch and let us know if you have seen anything like this or if there may be a non-paranormal explanation:

• Like 1

That was pretty interesting. 

Interesting but a couple of points that make me suspicious:

1. Gathering YouTube hits? - why not give us the time to look at in the video? 

2. Just as the face disappears it looks like the person holding the phone presses something hidden behind the phone. Watch the left thumb and the right hand, its as if they try to press something a couple of times after the first attempt fails.

*Edit*

6:26 for the start of the interesting stuff

8:40 for 'pressing something behind phone'

Edited by I'mConvinced
  • Like 4

Another question:

Why does the room show up as hot when it is night and in the dark? If someone reversed the camera settings then this would explain the room appearing hot and the object in front of the lense appearing cold.  The 'cold' ghost image also looks like the tip on my little finger close up to the camera, complete with blur.

21 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

Another question:

Why does the room show up as hot when it is night and in the dark? If someone reversed the camera settings then this would explain the room appearing hot and the object in front of the lense appearing cold.  The 'cold' ghost image also looks like the tip on my little finger close up to the camera, complete with blur.

Maybe the light bulbs were hot still? I don't know.

For me, obviously this is either faked or real, with no way of knowing which. So its cool, but nothing to get to excited about.

Ok, so I'm not very camera savvy.... I'm a bit amazed that they make thermal cameras for cell phones now. I can barely take a decent pic with the regular cell phone, lol.

"Do The Dead still play here ... ?"

"Looks nothing like Jerry Garcia "

~

227px-Jerry-Garcia-01.jpg

~

This kind of nonsense seems to be a very popular branch of business nowadays.

I'll have to look at it later. Thanks for sharing.

So the head of APR, her first response was, "I don't believe that photo." Then they did a bunch of debunking. They tried to put a finger on it to see if it could be a finger. It didn't come out as a face when we tested it with a finger They tried reversing the colors after taking a photo of a live person and it did't appear the same as the "ghost photo".  Several of us felt like strange activity was happening everywhere in that hall, and me and my cameraman both felt something in that room before the photo. I don't know for sure if it's a ghost, or what it is, but the combination of us sensing something and the photo is interesting. I was told by a parapsychologist that the combination of human sensing things and technical evidence is the strongest evidence. We've been filming them since 2012 and nothing this concrete ever shows up. Usually we get nothing on camera, just people seeing shadow figures if even that, an occasional sound that might be an EVP, but who ever knows. Ghost hunting is so boring and uneventful most of the time, this was a shocking event for us.  I know people will say it was faked, but we were there, and nothing was faked. At first I thought maybe it was an old photo stored in her phone that she reversed the colors on, but the face was stuck on the screen when we passed our hands in front of the camera. We were so shocked our camera man wasn't even filming, which is why you can't see that part clearly, only from the side camera.

OP, as this is your footage, please supply a link (eg dropbox or similar) to the original media file, as it was stored on the recording device (which was....?).  Feel free to trim it and just post the important bit, but NOT in a way that uses any form of re-compression and at full-res - if you guys know what you are doing, you'll know how to do that. 

And if you are seriously interested in it being analysed, you'll have no reason not to, right?

If not, then I'll pass..  It's easy to fake stuff and you've obviously got a reason to do so..  Call me cynical.

• Like 2

On 27/11/2017 at 6:47 PM, The Haunted Bay said:

We are filmmakers who document paranormal investigations. 

Welcome to UM,

Can you please upload and link the raw footage?

Edit: ChrLzs beat me to it. 

Edited by Timonthy
Edit.

The background music was specifically designed and introduced to invoke a "paranormal" feel.

That disturbed my sense of authenticity right off the bat.

The thermal images mean nothing because they are so easy to fake.

I also don't like the tone of the investigators... They sound like they are commenting from a previously arranged script.

My opinion... HOAX.

OK...... I'm hearing a rumour that the 'footage' is actually them filming a still image(/s?) that was (were) captured on a smartphone running some sort of IR app.....?  Can someone, eg the OP verify that?  And also tell us why they didn't describe the situation more fully.. you know, here at this DISCUSSION FORUM?  As far as I know, it's not a blog for promoting YT channels.....

In regard to thermal imaging on a smartphone (seriously....?) the only way to do that, if it's not a fake app, is to add a thermal camera 'in front' of the camera on the smart phone.. The cameras even on the best smartphones do NOT record any useful thermal IR (for a number of very good reasons).  I'd have to ask why the heck you wouldn't buy a real thermal IR camera, instead of klutzing together something that silly..?  If it's just an app that 'fakes' IR, then game over.

Anyway, even if it is a real thermal imaging attachment thingy, I'll bet the quality will be godawful, likely out of focus, and frankly anything they record will very likely look berry berry berry scary....

IMO, this is indeed just a lame scam for YT hits and ad revenue - it's ad-supported, am I right?  If it's not a scam by the OP, then I'll wager they have been scammed by someone in their team.  And if my suspicions are correct, THIS is why ghost hunting teams are a laughing stock, and should be thanked/blamed for taking paranomal investigation into the gutters...  Congrats guys - be proud {sarcasm}

Anyway, I'll apologise in very humble terms if I'm wrong.... so surely that will be the necessary impetus to get a LOT more verifiable information from the OP, along with a goodly pile of sample images taken by this alleged FLIR device on KNOWN subjects, so we can compare its performance to the allegedly anomalous imagery... 

To answer a previous question:

22 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

If it's the app/device I think it is (FLIR ONE), then the color scheme is highly variable - "Color palettes: (Iron, Gray, Rainbow, Contrast, Arctic, Lava, Wheel, Coldest, Hottest)" - thus dark/light or warm/cold colors mean nothing without a legend...  If it is that system, I suspect it may be a fixed focus camera (the specs don't say, nor do they mention the focal length or other basic info... which sorta tells you about the 'professionalism' of this system..), so if the thing was close to the camera, it will probably be blurred.

Happy to be corrected on any of this... but the more I find out, the less tempted I am to bother to view the footage...  :D

• Like 2