Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of the Wendigo(s)

A_miloslav

11 hours ago, Alaric said:

Interesting, you have citations for this? As far as I know, prion diseases such as kuru, were the consequence, not the cause of cannibalism.

In the legend you don't become a Wiindigo until after you eat human flesh. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Invisig0th said:

The Wendigo absolutely exists. Unfortunately, I can't say anymore at this time.

If that's what you want to believe....

• Like 1

On 12/16/2017 at 7:57 AM, Piney said:

In the legend you don't become a Wiindigo until after you eat human flesh. 

You said that a Wendigo is someone with prions disease. One would not necessarily get infected by just eating one person (although it’s possible)... infection happens after consuming infected tissue, which would probably only happen after multiple incidents. The sickness comes after the cannibalization, not before... are you saying that you could eat people, but as long as you didn’t have prions disease, you wouldn’t be a Wendigo?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Alaric said:

You said that a Wendigo is someone with prions disease. One would not necessarily get infected by just eating one person (although it’s possible)... infection happens after consuming infected tissue, which would probably only happen after multiple incidents. The sickness comes after the cannibalization, not before... are you saying that you could eat people, but as long as you didn’t have prions disease, you wouldn’t be a Wendigo?

I'm saying the Algonquians didn't eat people at all out of fear of becoming one, which is the fear of becoming sick with prions. They considered the practice a sin and looked upon the Iroquoian tribes as barbaric and mind sick for doing it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Invisig0th said:

The Wendigo absolutely exists. Unfortunately, I can't say anymore at this time.

Possession by an unseen demon with an insatiable hunger for human flesh, or a person that truly believes themselves to have become so... what’s the difference? Wendigo psychosis is absolutely real.

If part of a culture’s folklore includes the idea that men can become beasts and commit unspeakable acts by the light of the full moon... is it any wonder that certain mentally disturbed members of that culture suffer from Lycanthropy?

The concept exists is many other cultures. “Amok” in Indio-Malay culture for example... the afflicted exhibits uncontrolled homicidal behavior and is “put down” by other members of the village.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_amok

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Alaric said:

Possession by an unseen demon with an insatiable hunger for human flesh, or a person that truly believes themselves to have become so... what’s the difference? Wendigo psychosis is absolutely real.

If part of a culture’s folklore includes the idea that men can become beasts and commit unspeakable acts by the light of the full moon... is it any wonder that certain mentally disturbed members of that culture suffer from Lycanthropy?

The concept exists is many other cultures. “Amok” in Indio-Malay culture for example... the afflicted exhibits uncontrolled homicidal behavior and is “put down” by other members of the village.

And then there was the legend that people with certain chromosomal disorders, like Williams Syndrome who were considered changelings or witches or in the case of my people kiimochks'niis (night walkers/skin walkers)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Alaric said:

I would think that if something is descrbed by a culture then it is relevent in that context. How other cultuers describle what may be similar but still unique to that culture. How we see them is not relevent to either culture because we are not members but observers.

jmccr8

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

How we see them is not relevent to either culture because we are not members but observers.

jmccr8

What you mean “we” white man?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alaric said:

What you mean “we” white man?

A person does not have to be a different color. The are First Nations people all over the hemisphere that are different cultures with different myths and traditions so even then they are outsiders and observers.

Ps call me whiteman again and I may just put my blue paint on and come naked screaming over a hill at you sword in hand.:lol:

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

And then there was the legend that people with certain chromosomal disorders, like Williams Syndrome who were considered changelings or witches or in the case of my people kiimochks'niis (night walkers/skin walkers)

Often there is a kernel there of something real, the key is sussing it out... for example, I’m not entirely sure TB accounts for vampire tales in their entirety, but I’ve made a study of these kinds of things. I find the topics interesting, even if the reading is somewhat dry at times.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alaric said:

Often there is a kernel there of something real, the key is sussing it out... for example, I’m not entirely sure TB accounts for vampire tales in their entirety, but I’ve made a study of these kinds of things. I find the topics interesting, even if the reading is somewhat dry at times.

I know all about the chromosomal disorders because I have it. I have the pointed ears and bent pinkie fingers. My Indian grandfather told me I was a Nightwalker who was touched by Wiikii'mokhiis (Brother Rabbit). My English grandmother told me they meant I was a warlock. I also baby sat a kid with Williams Syndrome for 10 years and I can see how uneducated folks could mistake him for a elf or part elf. 

• Like 1

I like reading the orgins of Native American legends or Mythology I think outside of the Americas it' not even talked of or known to the outside world. Is there any books out there. I know about Mayan and Aztecs. And thier downfall but not thier Mythology, legends or gods

On 12/1/2017 at 8:06 AM, Piney said:

I use to carve the masks.

@Sakari The mask I'm carving in the picture is a "Miising" My tribe's version of Bigfoot who is sometimes is equated with the Jersey Devil.

10318718_10203338786372189_592637722_n.jpg

Piney, 

Regardless....very nice sculpturing btw...Dude! The Safety Man in me just has to say..Please...put on some steel toed boots!   

1 hour ago, joc said:

Piney, 

Regardless....very nice sculpturing btw...Dude! The Safety Man in me just has to say..Please...put on some steel toed boots!   

Steel toe boots don't help with hot rodded  commercial chainsaws. It's just more shrapnel in your foot and they have to cut the boot out too.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 6:06 AM, Piney said:

I use to carve the masks.

@Sakari The mask I'm carving in the picture is a "Miising" My tribe's version of Bigfoot who is sometimes is equated with the Jersey Devil.

10318718_10203338786372189_592637722_n.jpg

Tighten your chain! :o

• Like 1

Just now, Likely Guy said:

Tighten your chain! :o

You have to leave some slop in your chain to carve. It can't be too sloppy so it stays on but enough to flex side by side.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

You have to leave some slop in your chain to carve. It can't be too sloppy so it stays on but enough to flex side by side.

Some, yes. I don't carve masks but I've done years of log house restoration.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Some, yes. I don't carve masks but I've done years of log house restoration.

A guy I work with Abraham, does all the old fashion woodwork. His family owned the former sawmill at Parvin. He cuts shingles out a "mined" bog log with a froe. Made a dugout canoe with a adze (I use a Husky 460), and makes parts for old houses and barns.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

A guy I work with Abraham, does all the old fashion woodwork. His family owned the former sawmill at Parvin. He cuts shingles out a "mined" bog log with a froe. Made a dugout canoe with a adze (I use a Husky 460), and makes parts for old houses and barns.

I've worked at the local ghost town (Quesnel Forks) off and on since '95. We use the froe to cut 40" cedar shakes for the roofs. I'm the long haired guy, second from the right. Half or so the logs are original, it was a giant set of pick up sticks before that.

5a3700d17a1a2_BriansQuesnelForks.jpg.8e0720d824f3270c848d028618c93172.jpg

• Like 6

My mother is (by her own admission) part Cherokee... I don’t know as this has been ever been officially confirmed and I may, in fact, be just as Cherokee as Elizabeth Warren... I wasn’t raised in the native tradition as far as that’s concerned, though all of that side of my family is very close to the land and still holds stewardship over what used to be ancestral Creek lands.

My paternal grandmother was Mestiza Filipina, she lived with us when I was a kid... something of a shaman in the Filipino tradition (and also a very devout Catholic)... a very strange lady. I grew up steeped to the gills in the folklore.

There were stories of the giants that live in old trees, and dark things like Aswang and Mananaggal, and crying babies (that weren’t really crying babies) that lured you deep into the jungle... there was the necessity of asking the permission of the dwarves that live in the termite mounds before trespassing on their territory, lest they curse you with some affliction... and the little people who live in the woods that have their feet on backwards, so if you ever try to follow them, you end up nowhere.

The original inhabitants of the Philippine islands are pygmies, called Aeta. Much smaller than even the normally diminutive Filipino, the biggest are only about half the size of an adult American male. Peaceful when left alone... but ferocious when aroused, they can use their poison blowguns to great effect... and they are so good at woodscraft, that if you ever tried to track them back to where they lived, you might be forgiven for thinking they had their feet on backwards for all the good it would do you.

You could dismiss my grandmother’s stories all as superstitious claptrap, but that would be ignoring some of the great kernels of wisdom that went along with them... like never follow the crying baby into the jungle. I have seen housecats that have learned to cry just like human children when they want to be fed. Cats are excellent mimics... I have no doubt that big cats could easily learn this trick as well and use it to effectively lure their prey, just like their smaller cousins.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 8:35 AM, Piney said:

Talking about the Miising online could get me in deep ****! @Sakari knows all about them rules.

Are you able to give a brief outline of the rules prohibiting talking of such things for those of us outside of the loop? Who/what would you get in trouble with?

(ps - sorry for the long delay in responsing. Busy time o' the year...)

2 minutes ago, Night Walker said:

Are you able to give a brief outline of the rules prohibiting talking of such things for those of us outside of the loop? Who/what would you get in trouble with?

(ps - sorry for the long delay in responsing. Busy time o' the year...)

It's not about superstition but "cultural theft". Newagers and others have a  tendency to twist and distort Native beliefs. I use to carve "dead masks" as wall hangers a certain way so if someone tried to hollow them out and misuse them they would crack.

I talk about certain Native beliefs here. Even though I'm not suppose to. Mostly to correct misinformation. There is lurkers here from many of the Lenape Tribes and even members of AIM East reading what I write and getting p***ed as hell. But they won't and can't do anything about it.  

1 hour ago, Piney said:

It's not about superstition but "cultural theft". Newagers and others have a  tendency to twist and distort Native beliefs. I use to carve "dead masks" as wall hangers a certain way so if someone tried to hollow them out and misuse them they would crack.

I talk about certain Native beliefs here. Even though I'm not suppose to. Mostly to correct misinformation. There is lurkers here from many of the Lenape Tribes and even members of AIM East reading what I write and getting p***ed as hell. But they won't and can't do anything about it.  

Thanks for that. 

There's really very little written about Bigfoot, Wendigo, etc, from an indigenous perspective. Mostly its stuff written about Native Americans by outsiders with an agenda so I can appreciate the desire to protect sensitive information from cultural misappropriation. It is, however, somewhat frustrating for a Bigfoot-tragic like myself who wants to learn more - I don't suppose you know of anyone I can talk to about it (confidentially, if needed)? If so, then please PM the details...