Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of the Wendigo(s)

A_miloslav

The wendigo is a cryptid originating from Algonquian and Native American folk lore with very few eye witness reports and stories to tell of its existence. These creatures are known as evil spirits of the woods, capable of possessing human beings and giving in to their own cannibalistic tendencies. The wendigo has an unsatisfiable appitite and has been caught gorging itself on the flesh of humans, as well as animals and non edible objects, such as leather sacks and firewood. These creatures have been sighted in heavily wooded areas, such as the Atlantic Coast and Great Lake Regions of both the U.S and Canada. The wendigo is said to be incredibly thin, with misshapen limbs pointed in the wrong direction, and the skull of an animal for a head; most commonly described as a deer skull. Then wendigo has dark wiry fur and black, emotinless eyes with slitted white or red pupils. The wendigo can posses anyone at their own will; often forcing the victim of their possession to eat their own flesh, kill their own family, or even go on murder sprees. 

• Like 1

satanskull.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for helping bring awareness of the wendigo to the cryptozoology community. 

I'd like to discuss cryptozoology, specifically lesser known cryptids such as the wendigo. 

What about the wendigo in particular? So far you've just posted a general description without elaborating.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1

My apologizes. I only joined recently and am still trying to figure out how to work this website. I fully intend to elaborate on the wendigo, collect evidence, and find out more lesser known stories, and possibly find photographic or video evidence of its existence to share with the people of this website and of other communities once I understand this website more throughly.  I'd also like to discuss theories, such as why the wendigo isn't as well known as perhaps Bigfoot, or Nessie. Or why the wendigo has a relatively darker past than some other cryptids. What makes this creature so evil and feared amongst locals? I'd like to find out things such as that. 

Edited by A_miloslav
  • Like 1

The wendigo isn't all that obscure and the concept has actually been featured in pop culture quite often. It isn't really a cryptid either, as I can't recall any sightings or photo/video evidence. It's pretty firmly in the mythological realm and I can't imagine that you'd find too much about it outside of folklore.

• Like 6

You make an excellent point. Although I believe that it exists, it may very well not exist as well. I've only seen very few pictures, and they were in fact ordinary animals in odd positions, causing shrubbery or such to make them seem like something they are not. I fully respect your thoughts and whatnot about the wendigo as well as appreciate  them. Aside from the wendigo, there is many other things in the world of like to explore and study. I decided to start simply with this website and work my way up. When I was browsing the cryptozoology section I couldn't find anything about the wendigo, so I figured that should be my first post. 

If you're interested in studying cryptozoology then I'd suggest starting off with something other than wendigo. Cryptohominids are probably the most well-known and there would be a lot more information to look through.

• Like 1

Yes, I've looked through a very small amount of work on cryptohominids, but it hasn't really  called to me I suppose. Wendigos aren't the only mythical or cryptid anomaly I've looked into though, just the first one to pop into my head. I will certainly take your advice into consideration however; and thank you for telling me. :)

• Like 3

I always thought of the wendigo as a 'wild man' tale. Of someone who was isolated in the wilderness for so long they went mad. Especially in the winter without food and had to resort to cannibalism.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Piney said:

The Wendigo, in Algonquian legend is what a person turns into if he eats human flesh. It's basically a "morality superstition". Whereas Siouian and Iroquoian tribes practiced cannibalism in various forms for various reasons the Algonquian were dead against it, That is why the Iroquoians called us "Bark Eaters". We would eat pine bark during famine times and would kill ourselves and our own families before resorting to eating human flesh.

In the Mide Medicine Society there is a group of clowns who act as Wendigos to show children how not to act.

edit @A_miloslav it does not exist

Very interesting post. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, A_miloslav said:

My apologizes. I only joined recently and am still trying to figure out how to work this website. I fully intend to elaborate on the wendigo, collect evidence, and find out more lesser known stories, and possibly find photographic or video evidence of its existence to share with the people of this website and of other communities once I understand this website more throughly.  I'd also like to discuss theories, such as why the wendigo isn't as well known as perhaps Bigfoot, or Nessie. Or why the wendigo has a relatively darker past than some other cryptids. What makes this creature so evil and feared amongst locals? I'd like to find out things such as that. 

Hi A_miloslav, with cryptids what you usually find is that there's a local tradition, which has then been bent into something that appeals to Western culture. I know nothing about the Wendigo but Piney clearly does, and his post above gives you it's origin, so that's what the Wendigo actually is. What you'll find on the internet etc will probably be written by people who don't know or care about that, but who want to tell tales of an exciting monster. 

It's the same with the yeti, the local lore talks of a spirit type animal, but we push it in the West as a man ape, same with its little cousin bigfoot. In Africa there's the Nandi bear, who is the world's nastiest cryptid, but is again the result of Europeans misidentifying a whole menagerie of African animals, which cryptozoologists then tack on to regional African folklore.

The chupacabra or 'goatsucker' started off as a nightjar, but then got co-opted into 1990's fantasy started by a single individual, probably after she watched the film 'Species', and claimed to have seen the creature from that.  

It even happens with recently extinct animals like the thylacine. The version today has little to do with the animal which died out in the middle of the last century. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

The mask I'm carving in the picture is a "Miising" My tribe's version of Bigfoot who is sometimes is equated with the Jersey Devil.

A chainsaw ????

THat's not carving ... that's ... that's ... oh i need a drink ...

~

• Like 3

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

A chainsaw ????

THat's not carving ... that's ... that's ... oh i need a drink ...

~

ALL Indian wood carvers are chainsaw carvers. Especially in the North Woods or Northwest Coast.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Piney said:

ALL Indian wood carvers are chainsaw carvers. Especially in the North Woods or Northwest Coast.

THat's a surprise ... over here the carvers practically chases anyone brandishing a chain saw off the grounds ... with a deluge of spitting and cursing

:lol:

~

• Like 1

Just now, third_eye said:

THat's a surprise ... over here the carvers practically chases anyone brandishing a chain saw off the grounds ... with a deluge of spitting and cursing

:lol:

~

I'll show you 10 year old kids who will blow out a bear in front of you in 5 minutes.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'll show you 10 year old kids who will blow out a bear in front of you in 5 minutes.....

I dunno man ... I've seen wood shaped from machines and those worked by hand ... ahhhh well ...

~

• Like 1

Just now, third_eye said:

I dunno man ... I've seen wood shaped from machines and those worked by hand ... ahhhh well ...

~

Hey, we're lazy....at least that's the stereotype.......

• Like 2

Just now, Piney said:

Hey, we're lazy....at least that's the stereotype.......

That's not what I'm saying ... the old geezers always stresses that its about 'respecting' the wood ... but then again the traditional carvers works with a somewhat special grain of lumber ...

~

Tree trunk pulled from Chinese river and dumped in factory backyard ...

Nov 2, 2017 - Tree trunk pulled from Chinese river and dumped in factory ... It has now been valued at 20 million yuan (US$3 million), but rather than ... The wood's value derived from its rarity and its texture was ideal for architecture.

~

• Like 2

Personally, I'm not allowed to touch chainsaws, it's not a legal thing and I mean no harm, it's just that everyone decided that it'd be best. 

So I can only admire anyone with the dexterity to not only not maim the person next to them, but to actually carve something meaningful with one. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

That's not what I'm saying ... the old geezers always stresses that its about 'respecting' the wood ... but then again the traditional carvers works with a somewhat special grain of lumber ...

Your still respecting the wood no matter what tool you use. That is a "dead" mask for sale, carved from a tree that had to be removed anyway. If I were to carve a "live" mask for use it would be out of a living tree and done with chisels and I wouldn't be putting up a picture of it here.

• Like 5