Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

my ghostly work experiences

MadAbz

my Full time job is in care for the elderly so I have been around death a lot and seen people pass, but my experiences happen either when they are gone or just about to leave this world. the first was when I had started night, I had heard stories about the care home being haunted but thought 'eh, work gossip' one night we were working a staff member down and it was around 3.30 am and me and the other carer sat down for the first time that night, the lead of the staff was a hard ass and made us wok in the dark so we were sat in literal darkness bar the green glow of emergency lighting when from a corner of the room came a large black shadow, it went from said corner all the way around the walls until it came to an arch way then vanished. At first I thought it was a light from outside but there was no possible was the building had these thick heavy blackout curtains and they were all closed, so the only logical thing was I was just so damn tired, until the carer next to me whispered "did you see that?" she described the exact same thing I had seen only adding she saw it leave out of the dining room.

The next one was after a man passed away, it was customary to let the room rest after someone passed on and re paint them as well, sort of a mourning period, this is normally a week or two depending. This room in particular had been at rest for about three to four days at this time and was currently being repainted. we had only started work and I was doing the rounds when I saw the back end of a black shoe and leg enter the room and the door slam shut, I thought the handyman had left it open and a resident confused it for theirs so I went to get them out, only when I tried the door it was locked, it wasn't a big surprise all the bedroom doors could lock from the inside and I had a key so I opened it, but the room was empty, lights on and empty I even looked in the bathroom adjoining it but no one. In a little panic I apologised and locked the room back up, I like to think the man who had just passed was visiting his room one last time.

however the worst one I ever had was when I was alone, there was one corridor in the building that always felt a little off, it could be because it was at a slight curve and you couldn't see all the way down it but never the less no one wanted to go there alone. bar me, yeah I didn't get the same warning like everyone else did so on the midnight check I walked the hall alone, I entered through this large double door and walked several steps before I just couldn't walk anymore, I froze on the spot and couldn't explain why. I was terrified, I felt like my whole body was telling me to not go any farther cause if I did I would see something I wouldn't like, something that wouldn't like me. Have you ever come face to face with a wild animal or a mad dog and instead or turning and running you froze, that was what I was doing. it was a couple of minutes and I had this cold sweat running down me, shaking I closed my eyes and turned to the double doors and felt for the handle, it sounds stupid but at the time I thought seeing whatever was there must be so bad I just couldn't open my eyes. I walked back to the other carers and started crying. They said I was as white a sheet and I felt cold as ice. I told them what happened and one of the carers who had been there over five years said "oh yeah that Earl, he hates young people, he likes to stand at the end of the corridor looking out into the fields in front of the care home"  would have been nice to know

i still work in care but in a new care home, it is a all new build and no one has passed on yet but only time will tell weather or not i shall experience other worldly activities like these again

• Like 6

Great stories thanks for the share. Since you're continuing your career you should set up a camera next time youre roped into night shifts (assuming you can find a way around HIPPA) 

• Like 3

Cool stories. My wife works for a hospice hospital. They average around 240 deaths per year. You’d think you would get some activity from time to time, but she says she has never seen, heard, or felt anything. The only person who works there who claims the place is haunted is the cook. But even he doesn’t have anything but a feeling. Nothing specific, at least long term  

Some of the nurses have said things have happened just before a patient dies from time to time. Like them saying they see people in their rooms. Sometimes they even have whole conversations with people who aren’t there. But that ends soon as they have passed. 

These people are often on heavy drugs though, so.... the only thing about that that stands out to me is the consistency of which it happens.

I’m gonna become a volunteer there soon. Gonna see if there is anything to write about during the time I’m going to spend there. Hoping to write a book on the subject. 

Now that’s not the reason I’m going to become a volunteer. I couldn’t think of a bigger honor then being with someone who doesn’t have anyone with them in their last days. If something comes up though, I’ll be there to make record of it. I’m really looking forward to it. 

Edited by preacherman76

My old mum was a nurse in an old people's home she had a few experiences like yours including one old gent who didn't feel like he should of been in a home and hated the staff when he passed most of the staff saw him sitting in a chair with his coat on waiting to"go" as he'd say in life.Another time mum was down stairs helping to lay out a body with another nurse and an old victorian nurse appeared and was watch as if to give her approvel both mum and the other nurse saw her

• Like 1

most of the thinks we saw happened on our dementia unit so when our residents saw something we did not know weather it was real of just their illness 

another story someone told me was of a particular resident who you just not stop crying, i mean this is nothing new. however as the shift went on she got more and more distraught she even begged the nurse to kill her. After around four hours of this she calmed down crying herself to sleep. only to wake up twenty minutes later saying "she won't let me sleep" they through it was an hallucination and as they couldn't give and form of calmer to this woman they did the old Shakespeare and acted along to see if it could help. 

the carer how is my friend  asked "where are they sat, i cant see them cause i have bad eyes" the resident apparently pointed to this old vanity table she had and said "shes been sat there for three days now" so my friend did the old "OK young lady you've had your fun, but now this woman needs her sleep and if you don't leave your in big trouble"

he said he went to the door and opened it ordering it vision to leave, after a moment he said "is she gone." and the woman nodded and he let the door close but as it slowly shut it suddenly stopped then slammed shut the rest of the way with a very large bang, he crapped himself the resident started to scream again and the lights flickered.

i side note on the doors, all of the bedroom doors are these large heavy fire doors and they are held back from slamming by this hydraulic system  on each door, basically it stops them from slamming, the y can break and an malfunction and what not but the odd this was the door stopping. to stop that door you have to hold it with at least one hand and a bit of force... who knows maybe there was a girl in that room     

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MadAbz said:

most of the thinks we saw happened on our dementia unit so when our residents saw something we did not know weather it was real of just their illness 

another story someone told me was of a particular resident who you just not stop crying, i mean this is nothing new. however as the shift went on she got more and more distraught she even begged the nurse to kill her. After around four hours of this she calmed down crying herself to sleep. only to wake up twenty minutes later saying "she won't let me sleep" they through it was an hallucination and as they couldn't give and form of calmer to this woman they did the old Shakespeare and acted along to see if it could help. 

the carer how is my friend  asked "where are they sat, i cant see them cause i have bad eyes" the resident apparently pointed to this old vanity table she had and said "shes been sat there for three days now" so my friend did the old "OK young lady you've had your fun, but now this woman needs her sleep and if you don't leave your in big trouble"

he said he went to the door and opened it ordering it vision to leave, after a moment he said "is she gone." and the woman nodded and he let the door close but as it slowly shut it suddenly stopped then slammed shut the rest of the way with a very large bang, he crapped himself the resident started to scream again and the lights flickered.

i side note on the doors, all of the bedroom doors are these large heavy fire doors and they are held back from slamming by this hydraulic system  on each door, basically it stops them from slamming, the y can break and an malfunction and what not but the odd this was the door stopping. to stop that door you have to hold it with at least one hand and a bit of force... who knows maybe there was a girl in that room     

Another good story, thanks. The unusual physical events in so many stories makes the 'it's all in your head' explanation harder and harder to believe. And after years and years of hearing such stories from sane witnesses, it has become just one of the reasons I believe we live in a universe far more complex than we can get our  heads around.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Another good story, thanks. The unusual physical events in so many stories makes the 'it's all in your head' explanation harder and harder to believe. And after years and years of hearing such stories from sane witnesses, it has become just one of the reasons I believe we live in a universe far more complex than we can get our  heads around.

Would be nice if someone caught something on video though, just sayin’.

Bit selfish to keep the proof from the skeptics.

Edited by Timonthy
Typo.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

Would be nice if someone caught something on video though, just sayin’.

Bit selfish to keep the proof from the skeptics.

We are not in an everywhere 24/7 video world. But even at that we get videos and photos and even on this forum, but no video or photo will ever be accepted by hard-core skeptics as evidence I am convinced. 

In the end, personal judgment is the final arbiter and it holds sway over its jurisdiction of one person.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

We are not in an everywhere 24/7 video world. But even at that we get videos and photos and even on this forum, but no video or photo will ever be accepted by hard-core skeptics as evidence I am convinced. 

In the end, personal judgment is the final arbiter and it holds sway over its jurisdiction of one person.

Evidence is the final arbiter. And if you used the photos and videos posted here, you’d have a pretty damning sample to work with.

I analyze things much more critically than you, that’s the only difference. 

Edit: Although there is that lady who has just claimed she’s had sex with 20 ghosts; maybe that’s worth looking into. Another thread for another day!

Edited by Timonthy
Edit.

1 minute ago, Timonthy said:

Evidence is the final arbiter. And if you used the photos and videos posted here, you’d have a pretty damning sample to work with.

I analyze things much more critically than you, that’s the only difference. 

So who makes the official determination that your damning sufficed to end the issue? In the end, without proof either way, it is unknown and only personal judgment of likelihood remain (like the old Papameter).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

So who makes the official determination that your damning sufficed to end the issue? In the end, without proof either way, it is unknown and only personal judgment of likelihood remain (like the old Papameter).

Someone who does not think that every lame photo or video is of a ghost. 

You have started to not blindly suppose everything presented here is paranormal, so you’re getting there, but you still have a ways to go! 

It would be interesting to analyze the history and see if the Papameter is slowly being pulled towards reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timonthy said:

Someone who does not think that every lame photo or video is of a ghost. 

You have started to not blindly suppose everything presented here is paranormal, so you’re getting there, but you still have a ways to go! 

It would be interesting to analyze the history and see if the Papameter is slowly being pulled towards reason.

I do not consider everything claimed paranormal to be paranormal for the fiftieth time, despite being what you like to say. I only ever speak in terms of likelihood in my judgment. Arguing the points in favor of a possibility is not acceptance yet; but part of the analysis of likelihood. That reasoning strategy either unintentionally or intentionally gets missed by you.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I do not consider everything claimed paranormal to be paranormal for the fiftieth time, despite being what you like to say. I only ever speak in terms of likelihood in my judgment. Arguing the points in favor of a possibility is not acceptance yet; but part of the analysis of likelihood. That reasoning strategy either unintentionally or intentionally gets missed by you.

I like our exchanges. :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

I like our exchanges. :lol:

Yes, I see you instigated this one as we both have been looking board on here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes, I see you instigated this one as we both have been looking board on here.

I may have, but you may have also deliberately written the post I replied to in such a subliminally saturated fashion as to specifically attract me to this thread and force me to reply?

30 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

I may have, but you may have also deliberately written the post I replied to in such a subliminally saturated fashion as to specifically attract me to this thread and force me to reply?

I am out to provoke reasoning in this age where arrogant materialist science is put on too high a pedestal. My posts encourage those already partially in the paranormal camp, and intend to start fissures in the rest.

I am not playing  a game  because I do believe the paranormal exists beyond any reasonable doubt from the quantity, quality and consistency of evidence. I also believe it raises our significance knowing we are more than just atoms and indeed something greater. So, I believe I am on a true and honest positive mission here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I am out to provoke reasoning in this age where arrogant materialist science is put on too high a pedestal. My posts encourage those already partially in the paranormal camp, and intend to start fissures in the rest.

I am not playing  a game  because I do believe the paranormal exists beyond any reasonable doubt from the quantity, quality and consistency of evidence. I also believe it raises our significance knowing we are more than just atoms and indeed something greater. So, I believe I am on a true and honest positive mission here.

I think that the atoms are amazing enough without needing any fantastical explanations thrust upon them when there’s no need. 

What do you have against atoms? I’m happy being a big bunch of atoms. 

Your bold, what happens if you multiply your Papameter results? 

3 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

I think that the atoms are amazing enough without needing any fantastical explanations thrust upon them when there’s no need. 

What do you have against atoms? I’m happy being a big bunch of atoms. 

Your bold, what happens if you multiply your Papameter results? 

Whether or not you like being just atoms, I objectively do not believe that to be the case. The universe is beyond what we think we want. I like positive continuance beyond death myself. I think mine is the majority view on that.

i don’t understand your last sentence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Whether or not you like being just atoms, I objectively do not believe that to be the case. The universe is beyond what we think we want. I like positive continuance beyond death myself. I think mine is the majority view on that.

i don’t understand your last sentence.

Probability, my dear friend.

Edit to add: Of course a majority of people want to believe in something after death, IMHO though, biological function ends as does any consciousness. That’s hard for the majority of people to accept.

Edited by Timonthy
Edit.

30 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

Probability, my dear friend.

Edit to add: Of course a majority of people want to believe in something after death, IMHO though, biological function ends as does any consciousness. That’s hard for the majority of people to accept.

I would have to believe what I objectively believe to be true. I am not going to believe a comfortable lie.

To me, the objective evidence for the afterlife is overwhelming.

We’ll have to disagree.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

I would have to believe what I objectively believe to be true. I am not going to believe a comfortable lie.

To me, the objective evidence for the afterlife is overwhelming.

We’ll have to disagree.

‘Comfortable’ is believing that you don’t really die, that there’s something after death. 

That’s a far greater example of ‘comfortable’ than believing in repeatable proofs and not believing in fluffy non-repeatable pseudoscience.

36 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

‘Comfortable’ is believing that you don’t really die, that there’s something after death. 

That’s a far greater example of ‘comfortable’ than believing in repeatable proofs and not believing in fluffy non-repeatable pseudoscience.

That’s scientism you are professing there. The evidence tells me there is more.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

That’s scientism you are professing there. The evidence tells me there is more.

But do you think it’s more comfortable believing in an ‘afterlife’ or not? Not your personal opinion, but your opinion of the general consensus? 

1 hour ago, Timonthy said:

But do you think it’s more comfortable believing in an ‘afterlife’ or not? Not your personal opinion, but your opinion of the general consensus? 

Yes, it is subjectively better for most.

Edited by papageorge1

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes, it is subjectively better for most.

So you choose not to believe the comfortable lie of mainstream science, but you do choose to believe the comfortable lie of the afterlife due to the overwhelming evidence?