Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Problem of Interpretation

Illyrius

"it is not important what you look at but what you see"

this can in a positive sense be interpretated as you can see a beauty in everything, or magic in everyting or highest wisdom in everything if you look at it with the eyes opened.

in a negative sense it can be interpretated as "i only choose to see what i want. i will discard the injustice, i will discard anything i don't wish to see."

this is the problem.

thoughts?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

this can in a positive sense be interpretated as you can see a beauty in everything, or magic in everyting or highest wisdom in everything if you look at it with the eyes opened.

in a negative sense it can be interpretated as "i only choose to see what i want. i will discard the injustice, i will discard anything i don't wish to see."

this is the problem.

thoughts?

Yes Very True Mr Argon..

I see The Essence of what I Perceive Beauty to be, in Everything and All.  However I have also seen Injustices that others Don't want to See, because its Outside the Box some May live in, Or its plainly Disregarded as Not My Problem, or Simply Don't Care.. There was a MindSet in my Country(NZ) in the 80s, that What happens in another Mans house is His Business, and through this MindSet, many Woman and Children were being Violently abused.... It wasnt liked by Many, and Some stood up in Protest against, but Mostly it was put down to, "Its none of my business".. and it stayed this Way for 30yrs. It still goes on, but protections are in Place now against this.. How many children from that Era, who are adults now, are repeating that Cycle, because We Turned the Other Cheek?.........

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MauriOra said:

Yes Very True Mr Argon..

I see The Essence of what I Perceive Beauty to be, in Everything and All.  However I have also seen Injustices that others Don't want to See, because its Outside the Box some May live in, Or its plainly Disregarded as Not My Problem, or Simply Don't Care.. There was a MindSet in my Country(NZ) in the 80s, that What happens in another Mans house is His Business, and through this MindSet, many Woman and Children were being Violently abused.... It wasnt liked by Many, and Some stood up in Protest against, but Mostly it was put down to, "Its none of my business".. and it stayed this Way for 30yrs. It still goes on, but protections are in Place now against this.. How many children from that Era, who are adults now, are repeating that Cycle, because We Turned the Other Cheek?.........

I completely understand you. Something similiar in my country too.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

this is the problem.

thoughts?

This is why there's an Interpreter that dwells wthin our minds. 

He is our partner and soulmate. 

• Like 2

This is precisely why perception is unreliable, and eyewitness reports are so bad in terms of courts and whatnot. Humans are very, very easy to trick.

• Like 4

Everything comes down to a matter of interpretation. Not to say that there is no independent objective reality, merely that the discovery of this objective truth is entirely dependent on subjective human interpretation. My main criticism of mainstream science.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Podo said:

This is precisely why perception is unreliable, and eyewitness reports are so bad in terms of courts and whatnot. Humans are very, very easy to trick.

:yes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Everything comes down to a matter of interpretation. Not to say that there is no independent objective reality, merely that the discovery of this objective truth is entirely dependent on subjective human interpretation. My main criticism of mainstream science.

Well said Aquilla. As i said on your topic about Sacred Geometry - only thing - only language we know that doesn't fail is a language of mathematics.

• Like 3

On 05/12/2017 at 5:06 AM, Mr. Argon said:

this is the problem.

thoughts?

I think that because people from many different environments will see things in what is relevant to their environment and because they have no experience physically in other environments cannot fathom the other aspects of an event or situation. If we all lived with the same tunnel vision there would be less confusion, and likely less progression as a species.

jmccr8

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I think that because people from many different environments will see things in what is relevant to their environment and because they have no experience physically in other environments cannot fathom the other aspects of an event or situation. If we all lived with the same tunnel vision there would be less confusion, and likely less progression as a species.

excellent. but since you are secularely oriented i will only replace "species" with "souls". Perspectives, you know ;)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr. Argon said:

excellent. but since you are secularely oriented i will only replace "species" with "souls". Perspectives, you know ;)

I have a concept of god that I have spoken of in past. I don't agree with religious aspects or mystic ideals but I do have a soul.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, Mr. Argon said:

Question: what does secularism have to do with it?

If you wanna say something in non-spiritual or non-religious that's one thing, but secularism is simply the idea of separation of church and state. It says nothing as to whether or not anything spiritual exists.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Question: what does secularism have to do with it?

If you wanna say something in non-spiritual or non-religious that's one thing, but secularism is simply the idea of separation of church and state. It says nothing as to whether or not anything spiritual exists.

in that case you are absolutely correct. i had no perception of the true meaning of the word. very good point. :tu: i percieved secularists as being non spiritual. very wrong. now i know what it really means. thanks.

sec·u·lar·ism

(sĕk′yə-lə-rĭz′əm)

n.
1. Religious skepticism or indifference.
2. The view that religious considerations should be excluded from civil affairs or public education.

sec′u·lar·ist n.
sec′u·lar·is′tic adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

secularism

(ˈsɛkjʊləˌrɪzəm)

n
1. (Philosophy) philosophy a doctrine that rejects religion, esp in ethics
2. the attitude that religion should have no place in civil affairs
3. the state of being secular

--------
the definition is a bit mishy mushy though.
Edited by Mr. Argon
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

in that case you are absolutely correct. i had no perception of the true meaning of the word. very good point. :tu: i percieved the word as something which separates spiritual from mundane in general. now i know what it really means. thanks.

Gotta say, it's rather refreshing to see someone unashamedly admit when they don't know something.

Too often in our society today you see people buck up and stand by whatever they say no matter how much they're wrong or they don't know.

Quite commendable to see that for once.

• Like 5

Just now, Aquila King said:

Gotta say, it's rather refreshing to see someone unashamedly admit when they don't know something.

thanks.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Too often in our society today you see people buck up and stand by whatever they say no matter how much they're wrong or they don't know.

Quite commendable to see that for once.

Good eye, I think Argon is an exceptional poster too. I like his humility and curiosity. He seems like he is here to grow himself. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Good eye, I think Argon is an exceptional poster too. I like his humility and curiosity. He seems like he is here to grow himself. 

Thanks Sheri :)

i like your observations of things too. very descriptive in a beautiful clear way.

Edited by Mr. Argon
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

Thanks Sheri :)

i like your observations of things too. very descriptive in a beautiful clear way.

Thank you :blush:

• Like 4

Here's my two cents worth. I am actually the Interpretation Manager at a fine art museum. It's my job to open the dialogue between the viewer and the work. I am able to do this because I am highly educated in the visual arts, both as an art historian and a practicing artist. Because I am fluent in the language, I can help others develop their proficiency when experiencing art. I never tell the viewer what he should be thinking; rather, I offer him a starting point from which he can make his own interpretations. A high level of expertise is a catalyst for higher levels of understanding. My own understanding also increases through every interaction among the viewer, the work, and myself. By itself, interpretation is practically meaningless- when its's shared, the nuances, quirks, and deeply hidden truths of any intellectual system become more evident.

• Like 6

On 12/5/2017 at 10:06 PM, Mr. Argon said:

this is the problem.

thoughts?

I think what happens is that one view eventually encompasses the other.  This is probably where the ability to have power and control over others stem from.  Or perhaps the ability to be a teacher and guiding force.

I.e the ability to enter the subjective world of another and direct them as you see fit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PsiSeeker said:

I think what happens is that one view eventually encompasses the other.  This is probably where the ability to have power and control over others stem from.  Or perhaps the ability to be a teacher and guiding force.

I.e the ability to enter the subjective world of another and direct them as you see fit. 

excellent. very interesting.

On 12/20/2017 at 9:28 AM, PsiSeeker said:

Nice.    Do you think  humans have an innate need to share a common vision or perception?  Maybe it is a basic survival mechanism shaped by danger and opportunity that has evolved along with society.  

A good insight to tie this with control over others.  If the view is compelling or the viewer is charismatic, others want to see as that one does.  Maybe that is why some ideas last through time, because they are compelling. Other ideas die as soon as that original leader goes away because it was only the leader's charisma that had influence.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2017 at 1:25 PM, Aquila King said:

Not to say that there is no independent objective reality, merely that the discovery of this objective truth is entirely dependent on subjective human interpretation. My main criticism of mainstream science.

I would revise that a little; our understanding of objective truth is dependent on the aggregation of subjective human interpretation.  I don't know why that is a criticism of mainstream science; mainstream science has already proven itself despite philosophical questions we may have concerning where we all may draw the line at when something becomes 'objective'.  In addition the best mainstream science, where it is possible, tries to take out as much 'subjective' human interpretation as possible.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Nice.    Do you think  humans have an innate need to share a common vision or perception?  Maybe it is a basic survival mechanism shaped by danger and opportunity that has evolved along with society.  

A good insight to tie this with control over others.  If the view is compelling or the viewer is charismatic, others want to see as that one does.  Maybe that is why some ideas last through time, because they are compelling. Other ideas die as soon as that original leader goes away because it was only the leader's charisma that had influence.

i would say in society, and after all we are social beings.. humans are forced to bow to standards of society they live in to certain degree. they have to modify to certain extent. now.. control, it is related to want of power. power gives more freedom to one who holds it, one who holds it doesn't need to bow or modify his inner nature to an extent in which others with less power are subjected to restrictions.

ideas don't actually die after a leader... they leave a trace.. being themsevles modified by other charismatic leaders.. and also they leave a trace in subconsciousness - collective or individual.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr. Argon said:

power gives more freedom to one who holds it,

Power over self or power over others?

14 hours ago, Mr. Argon said:

control, it is related to want of power

When you control others, do you have more personal freedom?

• Like 2