Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canadian man strangled wife to stop her talking

The Caspian Hare

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/joshua-burgess-shannon-madill-guilty-plea-1.4431581

A Calgary man who says he strangled his wife because he "just wanted her to stop talking" and then buried her body in the backyard has been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 10 years.

Joshua Burgess, 31, pleaded guilty Monday to second-degree murder in the death of his wife, Shannon Madill, 25, on the day his trial was to begin.

His admissions came as part of an agreed statement of facts read aloud in a Calgary courtroom.

Madill and Burgess had been in the process of a breakup when they got into an argument in November 2014.

She insulted him, saying she wished she'd never married him, according to the agreed statement of facts. 

After he killed her — strangling her with his hands and then his belt — Burgess put Madill's body in a plastic bin that sat through the winter on the patio of the home they shared in the Ramsay neighbourhood.

Is it me or does it seem like humanity is slowly sinking into the abyss of moral and ethical depravity and insanity?

Of course he never even considered just filing for a divorce. Nope. Had to destroy his life, hers and her family with violence. Self control is a dead art.

• Like 9

I saw a news report just yesterday of a middle-aged guy who beat his mother to death with a cooking pan because she wouldn't stop crying.  There was no indication of why she was crying.  That just makes me sad.  And angry.  I will never understand people who abuse the vulnerable among us.  Children, the elderly or even pets are totally vulnerable to angry or insane family members.   

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ryu said:

Is it me or does it seem like humanity is slowly sinking into the abyss of moral and ethical depravity and insanity?

Of course he never even considered just filing for a divorce. Nope. Had to destroy his life, hers and her family with violence. Self control is a dead art.

So you think this would have been less common or less acceptable 200 years ago?  I used to work with this Vietnam refugee who said 'This country is great but you know what I think is really stupid?  You can't hit your wife' .  Or how about selling and buying slaves?  The list of morally wrong is not getting shorter it's getting longer.  That said, I really don't get the sentencing on this one.

Or maybe she should have just stopped talking.  I've been tempted myself but I never acted on it ;)

• Like 3

I don't understand why stuff like this must happen. The moment someone resorts to violence because of an argument, they have lost. They didn't have brains enough to defend themselves verbally. Of course it depends on the situation. A guy told me one time how a doctor told the guys deadly sick mother "Now, your treatment has cost a porsche and a corvette (or whatever cars he said) and the guy immediately knocked the doctor the f### out and i totally have no objections against that. I actually applaud him for doing that. Anyway...this is just disgusting and it's so sad that there's so much hate in this world.

At one time they loved each other...then he strangles her...

We have such a short time on this now spinning ball of hate and way too many people want to spend that time for terrorism,murder,rape. Why the hell is it so hard to leave people alone, show respect and let anyone believe whatever they want without being tortured for it? 

So sick of people hating each other over bulls### stuff "You're white, I hate you" "You're black, I hate you" "You don't believe what i believe and there for I hate you and must destroy you" Sorry for going a little off topic here but I'm just fed up with all this hate that surrounds us.

We're all humans but still we think of each other as a totally different species because we don't all have the same skin color or speak the same language. It's really easy to accept people but for some weird reason we make it seem impossible

Sickening,stupid and sad

• Like 4

In the wild animals are intimidating, biting, chasing or hitting each others to settle things.  One of the two in grudge would just go off and start elsewhere before it's to late. Human couples are like two animals bonded together with money and law who cannot go when they see a unfavorable situation. Possession have to much weight on our social value. You need to settle things in court, split the kids and stuff. People cannot go when they need to go and s**t happen.

Law and money have become the regulation of Human, replacing religion slowly has the way to destroy ethics and urges to kill for it. We had the crusade, now we have wall street or just a lawyer...

Fragile, so fragile human are. 

• Like 1

Oh for pity's sake...all he had to do was to leave her and get a divorce.

BTW, one of the reasons I'm divorced is that my former husband would fly into rages and scream for hours on end. It's not just us women who can't manage to shut the hell up.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Lilly said:

It's not just us women who can't manage to shut the hell up.

You've been talking to my wife? :lol:

It's true, I'm the one that goes on and on.

She is the voice of reason.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, OverSword said:

So you think this would have been less common or less acceptable 200 years ago?  I used to work with this Vietnam refugee who said 'This country is great but you know what I think is really stupid?  You can't hit your wife' .  Or how about selling and buying slaves?  The list of morally wrong is not getting shorter it's getting longer.  That said, I really don't get the sentencing on this one.

Or maybe she should have just stopped talking.  I've been tempted myself but I never acted on it ;)

I get what you're saying. It's all relative. In most of the rest of the world, would this story even make the Sunday papers? We deal with so little conflict on a daily basis living in the West it has skewed our perspective on the ape-like brutality of human beings.

Look at New Orleans after the Hurricane: there's only a thin veil of Society protecting us from hordes of evil people lurking in the shadows. Humans haven't changed much, but the world we built around ourselves makes the contrast more apparent.

• Like 6

Due to the popularity and the resulting numbers of the true crime shows and documentaries on television right now what we are can now see is the terrible discrepancies in the sentencing for murder and it's really bothering me.  Here we see ten years for a murder with the reason being given for it being ludicrous.  The reason given is that it's so that the family wouldn't have to sit through the gruesome details of the crime.  So this guy has done something so gruesome that they are going to release him into the public again after just ten years !  Not to mention the illegal immigrant travesty of justice that just happened with the political whim of a jury setting a killer free to roam our streets again.  

On the other hand, compare this to what's gone on with Richard Glossip.  I don't know if he's guilty or not but I will say the case against him does have some weaknesses in it and I think the number of people simply asking that they look at some of these issues that were not addressed at the trial needs to be considered before they put a man (who was not even accused of being the trigger man) to death.  

Where is justice for all when we all look the other way when this happens and accept it as just punishment ?  It all seems to me as if we need to hold our Prosecuting Attorneys to a higher standard which should include both justice in sentencing AND admitting when they just might have made a mistake.  

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2017 at 10:34 PM, Klownzilla said:

I don't understand why stuff like this must happen. The moment someone resorts to violence because of an argument, they have lost. They didn't have brains enough to defend themselves verbally. Of course it depends on the situation. A guy told me one time how a doctor told the guys deadly sick mother "Now, your treatment has cost a porsche and a corvette (or whatever cars he said) and the guy immediately knocked the doctor the f### out and i totally have no objections against that. I actually applaud him for doing that. Anyway...this is just disgusting and it's so sad that there's so much hate in this world.

We have such a short time on this now spinning ball of hate and way too many people want to spend that time for terrorism,murder,rape. Why the hell is it so hard to leave people alone, show respect and let anyone believe whatever they want without being tortured for it? 

So sick of people hating each other over bulls### stuff "You're white, I hate you" "You're black, I hate you" "You don't believe what i believe and there for I hate you and must destroy you" Sorry for going a little off topic here but I'm just fed up with all this hate that surrounds us.

We're all humans but still we think of each other as a totally different species because we don't all have the same skin color or speak the same language. It's really easy to accept people but for some weird reason we make it seem impossible

Sickening,stupid and sad

Finally I found my long lost Brother (Sister?). I second every single word you posted.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:34 PM, Klownzilla said:

Not necessarily, very often people who have personality disorders (narcissists, borderlines, psychopaths) will feign loving another person. But, keep in mind their real interests revolve around anything but love (ego boosting, money, social status, the need for someone to dominate/control etc.).

• Like 5

Brother ;-D Yes Lilly you are right but my point is that at one point, 2 people can meet and fall in love, they have hopes and dreams for the future...and one day they just hate each other because they take everything for granted and stop caring about their relationship and completely forgets what made them want to be together in the first place. Whenever I see my wife's smile and her big beautiful brown eyes I immediately remember why I love her so much and just the thought of something bad happening to her makes my eyes tear up immediately. I guess because I lost my parents way too early,  I'm more sensitive about losing loved ones. :-)

• Like 1

Well, my only sibling, both my parents, my eldest daughter and several close friends are all deceased. That said, I would still not suffer life with a narcissist, borderline or psychopath. Love has to go both ways, and sadly character disordered mentally ill people are not capable of loving anyone.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Lilly said:

people are not capable of loving anyone.

Or perhaps, they were never really loved in the first place. Especially when they were kids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Or perhaps, they were never really loved in the first place. Especially when they were kids.

Very true. Negative,traumatic childhood experiences affect many poor people for a lifetime. They often suffer alone. Its very sad

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Canadian man strangled wife to stop her talking