Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The world's smallest Mona Lisa

Still Waters

It is a work of art noted for its enigmatic smile, and now scientists have recreated the Mona Lisa on the microscopic scale.

Experts built the world's smallest version of Leonardo da Vinci's masterpiece, measuring 0.5 square micrometres, about the size of an e-coli bacterium.

They used a process called DNA origami, they manipulated strands of genetic code gene strands to fold and assemble into the right shape.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5158993/Worlds-smallest-Mona-Lisa-DNA-origami.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

It is a work of art noted for its enigmatic smile, and now scientists have recreated the Mona Lisa on the microscopic scale.

Experts built the world's smallest version of Leonardo da Vinci's masterpiece, measuring 0.5 square micrometres, about the size of an e-coli bacterium.

They used a process called DNA origami, they manipulated strands of genetic code gene strands to fold and assemble into the right shape.

The researchers hope that their breakthrough will allow for bigger structures to be made using DNA, such as building electronic circuits with tiny features or fabricating advanced materials. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5158993/Worlds-smallest-Mona-Lisa-DNA-origami.html

I think that is so incredible and has such potential. If you can arrange DNA molecules to look like Mona Lisa, or a Rooster, why couldn't you develop a pattern that would change the 'look' of diseases...like for instance...Spina Bifida, or Cerebral Palsey?  Perhaps one day they will be able to take the DNA from a baby suffering thusly, change it and reinject it into the patient so that their own DNA begins to undo the disease altogether and as they grow...they grow into a normal functioning human.   

The article didn't say anything like that, just my perception of where this could go.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2017 at 6:38 AM, Still Waters said:

about the size of an e-coli bacterium.

This is perhaps the crappiest description I've ever seen. :lol:

Forgive my punniness, but all else aside: fascinating.

• Like 3

Now all they need to create is the worlds smallest art gallery to hang it up in.. :P

• Like 2

On 12/14/2017 at 8:10 PM, taniwha said:

Now all they need to create is the worlds smallest art gallery to hang it up in.. :P

not many people realise that the real Mona Lisa is a small sized painting already sitting in one of the largest museum's.