Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two ancient Egyptian tombs found in Luxor

seeder

Archaeologists find two ancient Egyptian tombs in Luxor

LUXOR, Egypt — Egyptian officials on Saturday announced the discovery of two small ancient tombs in the southern city Luxor dating back some 3,500 years and hoped it will help the country's efforts to revive its ailing tourism sector.

The tombs, located on the west bank of the Nile River in a cemetery for noblemen and top officials, are the latest discovery in the city famed for its temples and tombs spanning different dynasties of ancient Egyptian history.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/archaeologists-find-two-ancient-egyptian-tombs-luxor-thousands-years-old-n828056

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Piney said:

The fact that you might get shot, trampled or blown up is the biggest reason for the ailing tourist sector.....

Exactly right.

• Like 4

I agree Piney, if they want to maintain their tourist economy they need to make it a safe welcoming place.  The Middle East could have a great tourism industry, they got great beaches, wonderful ancients sites, shopping and best of all cheap gas. What a place to have a sandrail.  They need to get their heads out their a$$ and make people feel safe and welcome. Nobody want to go on vacation in an endless war zone. 

Edited by Grandpa Greenman
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Why not said:

Afraid to visit Egypt? You must be a racist or something.          Sounds pretty stupid, Right.

UK Govt advice.... pretty much says avoid the place....currently...tho some areas are of course safer than others

A state of emergency is in effect in Egypt, imposed after 2 explosions on 9 April 2017 (Palm Sunday) in Mar Girgis Church in Tanta and St Mark’s Cathedral in Alexandria, which killed at least 44 people. Daesh claimed responsibility for these attacks. The state of emergency has been extended a number of times, most recently on 13 October 2017 by 3 months.

There have been threats to western nationals, institutions, and businesses posted on websites and social media. The main threat to foreigners is from extremists linked to Daesh-Sinai.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, seeder said:

UK Govt advice.... pretty much says avoid the place....currently...tho some areas are of course safer than others

Yeah, I was just kinda venting.

My Daughter has this dopey little friend who accused me of racism about a year ago because I HATE rap music (drives me insane).  About 3 weeks ago my Daughter comes by the house with said dopey friend. We are discussing were we would love to visit in our life times. My response was Egypt, but said with all the violence there it would not be a good idea to go. 

Accused of racism again by dopey little friend.      I don't dislike, let alone hate anyone unless they give me a reason to.

What the hell is going on with some of these younger kids. Who the hell teaches them EVERYTHING must be racism?

Sorry, just venting.

• Like 3

Dammit, seeder, I came in to this forum to post the same story. You beat me to it by an entire day. And here I thought you were always too busy digging up naughty videos for the DA thread. :P

Good story.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Why not said:

My Daughter has this dopey little friend who accused me of racism about a year ago because I HATE rap music (drives me insane).  About 3 weeks ago my Daughter comes by the house with said dopey friend. We are discussing were we would love to visit in our life times. My response was Egypt, but said with all the violence there it would not be a good idea to go. 

Accused of racism again by dopey little friend.      I don't dislike, let alone hate anyone unless they give me a reason to.

What the hell is going on with some of these younger kids. Who the hell teaches them EVERYTHING must be racism?

Sorry, just venting.

Egypt is a lot more progressive, and hence safer, than most Middle Eastern countries. But, no, it's not perfect. I wouldn't care to visit the Sinai region, for instance.

As for your daughter's dopey little friend, he sounds like one of those people who chooses to be offended and sling labels at people because, probably, he thinks it makes him sound elevated and enlightened. Well, the next time he launches into such crap, hand him one of these and say, "Here, I think you need this more than I do."

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Dammit, seeder, I came in to this forum to post the same story. You beat me to it by an entire day. And here I thought you were always too busy digging up naughty videos for the DA thread. :P

Good story.

No way bro!   Ha...felt weird to say Bro...

seeder has his finger on the pulse....despite my clowning around on some threads...    :lol:...

• Like 4

On 12/9/2017 at 3:15 PM, Piney said:

The fact that you might get shot, trampled or blown up is the biggest reason for the ailing tourist sector.....

Having visited there within the past two years, I can say that it's far safer than the streets of Detroit.  Or Chicago.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Having visited there within the past two years, I can say that it's far safer than the streets of Detroit.  Or Chicago.

Oh, boy, do you have that right!

(I'm a Chicagoan.)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kenemet said:

You forgot Camden, New Jersey. Where my childhood education took place. We beat Chicago and Detroit hands down. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Why not said:

Sorry, just venting.

Let's see.  The PC left, all the news outlets, all the terrorists groups, schools; need I go on?

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 6:39 AM, Piney said:

You forgot Camden, New Jersey. Where my childhood education took place. We beat Chicago and Detroit hands down. 

Figuratively, statistically, or physically? And if physically did you use a "Thames beater"?:D

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 0:11 AM, Kenemet said:

I would still rather take my chances on a trip to Chicago (to visit the Oriental Institute).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 0:19 PM, Why not said:

Public schools and Big Media.

If you're in America, that was the Number One defense of our president from 2009 - 2016, against anyone who disagreed with his policies.

Now, if you agree with the current president on anything, you're accused of being a racist.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 6:22 AM, _KB_ said:

So... how long till tomb robing becomes archeology... because i think i should explore some rich peoples tombs... you know in the name of... science?

You no it's robing only if you are poor, if you are rich you can do as you like and call it archaeology !

On 1/4/2018 at 2:13 AM, Jon the frog said:

You no it's robing only if you are poor, if you are rich you can do as you like and call it archaeology !

True that