Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA teases new extrasolar planet discovery

UM-Bot

Hopefully another great find!  Hopefully Skynet...I mean Google's AI was a help.

• Like 2

It could be a new batch of planets, all detected with the newly applied artificial intelligence. Perhaps even including a planet somewhat Earth-like. These are always prime subjects for announcement.          

Later-- Looked at NASA's pre-announcement teaser. It confirmed the A.I. angle, and also referred to their 'latest discovery' (singular), not discoveries. So, it looks as if a single, newly discovered, planet of special importance is involved.   

Edited by bison
added information
  • Like 3

If it's "Google" it has to be true...

Edited by UFOwatcher
Glitch

Here it is!!

Nasa has found an entire solar system with as many planets as our own.

The discovery of two new planets around the Kepler-90 star, which looks like our own sun, means that distant solar system has just as many planets as our own.

The star and its solar system were already known. But the breakthrough came when astronomers found the two new worlds, which was done using Google's artificial intelligence technology.

That suggests that there might be whole worlds and solar systems hiding within the data we've already collected, but which we hadn't been able to notice because there is simply so many signals to pick through.

“Just as we expected, there are exciting discoveries lurking in our archived Kepler data, waiting for the right tool or technology to unearth them,” said Paul Hertz, director of NASA’s Astrophysics Division in Washington. “This finding shows that our data will be a treasure trove available to innovative researchers for years to come.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/nasa-announcement-today-space-agency-exoplanet-latest-google-artificial-intelligence-a8111256.html

Edited by seeder
  • Like 5

This morning, NASA announced the discovery of an 8th planet in the Kepler 90 system, which is about 2500 light years distant. It will be known as Kepler 90 I, using the standard system of giving the planets letter designations, in the order of their discovery. This makes it only the second planetary system known to contain at least eight members, the other being our own solar system.

The newly discovered planet is the third nearest to its star, and has an orbital period of about 14 days. Unfortunately for the possibilities of life as we know it, the surface temperature is calculated at about 800 degrees F.  Life based on silicon remains a possibility at high temperatures, which would probably involve silicon-oxygen chain molecules, known as silicones.

Edited by bison
improved paragraph structure
  • Like 3

Here's the a link to the above story with a link to the original article from NASA for those that want to read more:

Artificial Intelligence, NASA Data Used to Discover Eighth Planet Circling Distant Star

Our solar system now is tied for most number of planets around a single star, with the recent discovery of an eighth planet circling Kepler-90, a Sun-like star 2,545 light years from Earth. The planet was discovered in data from NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope.

The newly-discovered Kepler-90i – a sizzling hot, rocky planet that orbits its star once every 14.4 days – was found using machine learning from Google. Machine learning is an approach to artificial intelligence in which computers “learn.” In this case, computers learned to identify planets by finding in Kepler data instances where the telescope recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets. 

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 5

Can Google's AI design a hyper drive so we can get there too? 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2017 at 5:47 AM, UFOwatcher said:

If it's "Google" it has to be true...

It’s recommended that tin foil hats have an extra two layers added to shield from the new AI.

So, six layers total is the current generally acceptable minimum. 

Although, that sounds a little bit conspiracy-y, I’d personally go with 13 layers. 

• Like 2

Yeah now we just need a way to get there. I want my alien unicorn pet.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:54 PM, paperdyer said:

Hopefully another great find!  Hopefully Skynet...I mean Google's AI was a help.

All hail our benevolent A.I. Overlords :D