Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Demolition raises question about ghosts fate

rashore

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — The demolition of a centuries-old orphanage in Newfoundland is raising a curious question for people who once worked in the building — what will become of the ghost rumoured to haunt its halls? 

"I hope that spirit is now at peace," said Lorraine Michael, the interim NDP leader for Newfoundland and Labrador.

The Belvedere Orphanage is in the process of being torn down in St. John's following years of abandonment and an extensive fire in April.

For years, people in the community speculated about a haunting presence in the decrepit building — particularly when it functioned as a school in the 1970s.

Michael was a Roman Catholic nun and served as the principal for Belvedere Junior High School from 1971 to 1976 when it closed.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/demolition-abandoned-orphanage-raises-fate-122750502.html

• Like 2

Once again I defend my coniction that IF there is anything to hauntings they are non-sapient echoes of departed people rather than the "souls" or "spirits" of those persons. So there's imho not really a concern involved in potentially destroying an echo just like there's no harm in cremating a body.

• Like 1

Just now, Orphalesion said:

Once again I defend my coniction that IF there is anything to hauntings they are non-sapient echoes of departed people rather than the "souls" or "spirits" of those persons. So there's imho not really a concern involved in potentially destroying an echo just like there's no harm in cremating a body.

That's always been my opinion. I also think that bad things happened in many of these places like they did in Indian residential schools and demolition gets rid of some of the bad vibes. 

If the ghost was a 'residual haunting' (like a video replay) they always stick to the original floor plan from when they were alive. That's why they are seen to walk into buildings that are no longer there, or walk through a later wall.

I don't see how demolition changes any of that.

• Like 1

I think the after demolition aspect of ghost lore an interesting one. Some stories end up with the haunt stopping entirely. Once the haunted building is gone, the stories stop. Others have haunts that linger after demolition, and sometimes in the new construction that takes over the spot. Much rarer are the ones that translocate- after the building or bridge or whatever is torn down, the haunt moves to another location.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rashore said:

Much rarer are the ones that translocate- after the building or bridge or whatever is torn down, the haunt moves to another location.

That would be an 'active haunting' where the ghost has a consciousness and may attempt to communicate.

I suppose, what happens next depends on whether the Belvedere haunting is residual or active.

Why would demolishing the building stop the alledged ghosts from roaming the site?

We hear a lot of stories of "built on an old graveyard hence haunted or there was once an old house where someone died, hence haunted....demolition did not stop the alledged ghosts from allegedly showing up in the new premises or land.

These inconsistences by the ghost believers pretty much shows the whole thing is based purely on what they think and want to believe in as opposed to what is real.....which is....there are no ghosts,  just stories and myths created over time.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

So hearing foot steps on the floor above couldnt possibly be someone else in the building? Doors closing?? Not an open window allowing a breeze to ush it closed or again another person?? No definetely proof of ghosts

Edited by Gecks

There's a place not far from here where once an old shed/barn stood the shed was allegedly haunted,now the said ghost is apparently still there we done a stake out there ages ago and picked up .... Nothing at all just as a side note the horses which now graze the field will not go anywhere near the place where the shed stood but I'm guessing this is nothing to do with the haunting 

Edited by Matt221
c*** up
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt221 said:

There's a place not far from here where once an old shed/barn stood the shed was allegedly haunted,now the said ghost is apparently still there we done a stake out there ages ago and picked up .... Nothing at all just as a side note the horses which now graze the field will not go anywhere near the place where the shed stood but I'm guessing this is nothing to do with the haunting 

They can smell something dead as small as a field mouse.

• Like 1

Build a Ouija board factory there and they'll be flying off the shelves.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The type of haunting will influence the outcome. Residual haunting are kind of like a “loop”, and would more than likely stop, but if it is an active haunting then demolition will do very little.