Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has an Alien Probe entered our space?

seeder

5 hours ago, Grey Area said:

It's exciting.

In all likelihood it is just a piece of ice and rock from another star, but that in itself is amazing.  But there's always that little what if, bolstered by the fact that science professionals are taking that what if seriously.

Makes sense in a way.  If an advanced civilization wants to investigate other planets, why not disguise your ship as a natural space object.  Of course you'd have to plan your course way ahead of time and not make any abrupt course corrections.

6 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

Well if it looks like a comet, acts like a comet and sounds like a comet then it's sure to be an alien probe - while they are checking for radio signals someone should also run a DNA analysis on surface scrapings in case it's infected with sasquatch hairs.

It doesn't look like a comet; no coma, no tail. that's why it was reclassified an asteroid. It does't look much like an asteroid, either. None we know of are anywhere near 10 times longer than they are wide, hence the  interest of both the SETI institute and Breakthrough Listen.

6 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

:rolleyes:

• Like 4

So many websites are showing that same picture without the "An artist’s impression of ‘Oumuamua". A bit misleading for those new to it, thinking that is a photograph of the object...

14 minutes ago, seanjo said:

The reality is the distances involved are too immense and we are effectively alone, no one will visit us ever and we will never visit anyone else.

Unless there exists an ancient civilization on one of the moons of our solar system.

It might even be our moon. 

47 minutes ago, seanjo said:

The reality is the distances involved are too immense and we are effectively alone, no one will visit us ever and we will never visit anyone else.

And that is sad...

We have several probes leaving our solar system or already left, by the time they reach close to another star they will be long dead, inert debris drifting through space.  

The possibility therefore exists that a probe launched millennia ago by a distant civilisation might just have entered our system.

Dare to dream, just a little.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Codemonger said:

What if this was their Planet and your just a visitor ?

Then clearly I've had too many drinks and followed the radio waves of old Art Bell episodes beaming through the cosmos.

Interstellar travel will happen if we don't destroy ourselves before... Genetic enhancement for space travel will permit long journey of hundred of years if we don't find a way to go faster.

Dr. Abraham Loeb is chairman of the astronomy department at Harvard University, and very highly regarded in academic circles. He writes that the more he learns about Oumuamua, the more it looks as if it could be a ET space vessel.  He advises the Breakthrough Listen project, and presumably played an important part in the decision to monitor this object. 

• Like 1

Why not let them look? Its not really affecting you.., is it? Why do people get personally angry when someone wants to look into unknowns?

Its one of the most interesting topics of our time.

A friend showed me a quote from Dr Allen J Hynek.

"It is no longer possible to sweep away the whole subject. It reminds me of the days of Galileo when he was trying to get people to look at the sun spots. They would say that the sun is a symbol of God; God is perfect, therefore the sun is perfect; therefore spots cannot exist: therefore there is no point in looking."

3 hours ago, Codemonger said:

We won't destroy ourselves in the way your thinking. We may destroy the Planet while developing technology, it's like testing a Nuclear bomb under a mountain and having it collapse. Best to do these things in space or on the moon. Genetic enhancement is a no-no, this is something artificial intelligence will be able to eventually tell us. 

God Bless!

Genetic enhancement is already here... soon they will test athletes for it. We have genetic enhancement medical treatment to change the genome of someone to treat his inherited illness. It's here right now. We got rid of natural selection we will replace it with artificial one for sure. It's inevitable.

History is build on blood, hate, envy and sadness, maybe sad on some part but it will not change soon. It's us or us and all the living form we know but destroying the planet will be when the sun will supernova,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UFOwatcher said:

So many websites are showing that same picture without the "An artist’s impression of ‘Oumuamua". A bit misleading for those new to it, thinking that is a photograph of the object...

I think this is the real one:

DQkFQJ3VwAUXraS.jpg

Why the hell are we studying this now as it is leaving our solar system, especially since it was closer to us as it passed us? <Making a statement before I Google it>

Edited by dirtierdragoon4

12 minutes ago, dirtierdragoon4 said:

I think this is the real one:

DQkFQJ3VwAUXraS.jpg

No it isnt, its a faked image published on twitter, titled: "Arcturian friends. These Craft are massive. They are here for meetings and to observe."

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, toast said:

No it isnt, its a faked image published on twitter, titled: "Arcturian friends. These Craft are massive. They are here for meetings and to observe."

Crap. Why the hell do we not have a clear image? We do for everything else. Especially since we have all these skywatchers... pft. Question for everyone/anyone.

Edit: I did question the dust cloud in the background before posting. Never seen such a thing in other pics we have of our solar system.

10 minutes ago, dirtierdragoon4 said:

I wonder if the trajectory is a "normal" one.

473F465100000578-5167821-image-a-5_1513076520867.jpg

It is.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, toast said:

It is.

Hmmm. Any published papers? :geek: Is this the first time it entered our solar system? How fast did it pass by our earth? Question for anyone. If no astronomer has an image, then that is very sad. Goes to show that astronomers can't even take a pic of something so big and so close to earth, less alone UFOs/UAPs in our own skies. Seriously... :blink::rofl: They better have a good excuse. Also, I remember reading this story sometime ago and rolled my eyes and said fake news and moved on. I have dishonored myself... idiot!

4 minutes ago, dirtierdragoon4 said:

Hmmm. Any published papers?

Dozens.

Is this the first time it entered our solar system?

Probable.

How fast did it pass by our earth?

>87km/sec

If no astronomer has an image, then that is very sad. .

There are images but not that kind of images you expect.

Goes to show that astronomers can't even take a pic of something so big and so close to earth, less alone UFOs/UAPs in our own skies. Seriously..

Maybe you dont know yet that optical telescopes are not designed to zoom in. And maybe you dont know yet that 800 meters isnt big and 24 million km isnt close to Earth.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, toast said:

...Maybe you dont know yet that optical telescopes are not designed to zoom in. And maybe you dont know yet that 800 meters isnt big and 24 million km isnt close to Earth

1 hour ago, dirtierdragoon4 said:

...They better have a good excuse....

I guess there is their good excuse - no probe. Anytime I hear about an asteroid or something, there is very clear pics. OP's article did not explain distance... so that is very far. Too bad we do not have a probe traveling around earth on standby for events like this.

Edit: Well, I guess we have another shot next year. I thought it was leaving our solar system.

Well, isn't it to late and when will know the results?

The Breakthrough Listen project will be monitoring Oumuamua tomorrow (Wednesday), for 10 hours, at the Green Bank Telescope, in West Virginia. If they were to hear anything noteworthy, they would presumably be granted further time on subsequent days, in order to follow it up. Since the Green Bank Telescope maintains a  list of  who is currently observing, and will be doing so, in the near future, such activity would be apparent.

Edited by bison
added information
  • Like 2

On 13/12/2017 at 0:28 PM, dirtierdragoon4 said:

Question for anyone. If no astronomer has an image, then that is very sad. Goes to show that astronomers can't even take a pic of something so big and so close to earth, less alone UFOs/UAPs in our own skies. Seriously... :blink::rofl: They better have a good excuse. 

I heard from a friend that he spends more time writing Python code, than looking thru a telescope.

I found this article which kinda backs that up, and shows how they are expensive, thus rare. Astronomers are constantly fighting telescope time.

And they usually have set goals to achieve within that short time frame (looking in a specific small area of space.., like a pinhole in a piece of paper)

http://theconversation.com/scientists-at-work-most-days-in-the-life-of-an-astronomer-arent-spent-at-telescopes-40046

3 minutes ago, Codemonger said:

The planet will not be destroyed by the Sun or a Super Nova , not in mankind’s lifetime on this earth.

more likely all the plastic in the oceans and pollution of the waters....will affect the food chain.....once you start messing with the foodchain...well....animal and humans dont get to eat so much... for the past few years there have been stories of bee's dying out....have you any idea how important the humble bee is?

What would happen if the bees died out?
They are critical pollinators: they pollinate 70 of the around 100 crop species that feed 90% of the world. Honey bees are responsible for $30 billion a year in crops. That's only the start. We may lose all the plants that bees pollinate, all of the animals that eat those plants and so on up the food chain.

then we have loonies like North Korea, willing to press the nuke button...and start wars that...due to modern tech....are devastating to man and the environment...

add in climate change...which is a very real factor......and things get a bit worrying... then of course we have things like antibiotic resistance.... man and his ways are perfectly capable of screwing up in a major way...

• Like 3

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked