Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earliest known surviving film (1888)

pallidin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundhay_Garden_Scene

Roundhay Garden Scene is an 1888 short silent actuality film recorded by French inventor Louis Le Prince. Shot at Oakwood Grange in RoundhayLeeds in the north of England, it is believed to be the oldest surviving film in existence, as noted by the Guinness Book of Records.[1]

Roundhay Garden Scene

14 October 1888; 129 years ago

2.11 seconds long

• Like 5

That was one tight corset. 

• Like 1

I just had a brief mental picture of this piece of film about to be projected for the first time in over a century... and it jams in the projector and catches fire.

• Like 3

So you're telling me the oldest known surviving film is as long what now are the most commonly shared films - in the form of gifs? They were really on target with people's attention spans. 

Edited by Area201
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Area201 said:

So you're telling me the oldest known surviving film is as long what now are the most commonly shared films - in the form of gifs? They were really on target with people's attention spans. 

yeah.  That reminds me of a comic strip I used to catch in the daily newspaper.  It was called Arlo and Janis.  They were a typical American couple, raising a son.  In one strip, Arlo is seen in early 20th century garb yelling into one of the wall-mounted early telephones "can you hear me?!"  then, fast forward to the 90's and a younger version of Arlo is doing the same thing with a cell phone...priceless...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

I just had a brief mental picture of this piece of film about to be projected for the first time in over a century... and it jams in the projector and catches fire.

Just for info...

Apparently 50 years after the short film was made, a process was used to "re-film" the original film due to fragility and desire for posterity. Later on, the "re-film" was converted to digital and enhanced... which is what we see today... a digitized, enhanced film.

The original remains in a private collection, never to be put through a projector again.

• Like 2

The technical quality is actually pretty good... but I see that Victorians didn't know how to "just act natural", either! :D

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

The technical quality is actually pretty good...

I was thinking the same.    I wish Patterson would have borrowed this recorder.   Bigfoot in clarity would be nice.

• Like 1