Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Singing lake... makes eerie noises

seeder

Why Does This Frozen Lake Sound Like A "Star Wars" Space Battle?

"Singing ice" makes weird noises caused by changes in temperature.

In a video posted on the Facebook page Mesmerizing Instruments and Sounds, we look out on Gun Lake in British Columbia, Canada. Not much is happening visually, but sonically viewers are treated to what sounds like a combination of the bursting bubbles of boiling water and the pew-pews of blasters in a Star Wars battle.

These amazing noises are the product of ice in the lake shifting, most likely because of temperature changes. The phenomenon has been noted and recorded in many places. It's particularly audible if there is no snow fall on the lake's surface to absorb the sounds as they travel.

But what explains the peculiar nature of the noises?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a22301/frozen-lake-star-wars/

• Like 5

Unfortunately I couldn't here them.  I'll try at home.  The sound card in my work laptop is crappy.

• Like 1

Its a cool phenomenon, unless you happen to be standing on the ice at the time, then it is very much not cool 

• Like 1

Awesome. I could sit there all day listening.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 10:42 AM, paperdyer said:

Unfortunately I couldn't here them.  I'll try at home.  The sound card in my work laptop is crappy.

Just a thought...

For whatever reason the vids audio is automatically muted on my end, so I had to follow OP's advice and un-mute the vid.