Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists Reverse the Arrow of Time

seeder

Experimenting on, perhaps even antigravity can be achieved, where more massive is attracted to the less massive.

And do dimensions exist where sound travels at light speed and light travels only at the speed of sound?

I think maybe.

4 hours ago, taniwha said:

Experimenting on, perhaps even antigravity can be achieved, where more massive is attracted to the less massive.

And do dimensions exist where sound travels at light speed and light travels only at the speed of sound?

I think maybe.

No, because sound travels on air. Air cannot travel at the speed of light.

And the article is a bit click baity. They didn't reverse time, they simply used an aspect of quantum physics that allowed heat to travel from a cold object to a hot one. But the very act of doing so disrupts the system and returns the system to normal.

• Like 3

tin-foil-hat-meme-300x210.jpg

Prepare yourselves for speculation.

I wonder if it would ever be possible to use a similar technique to suspend something in a kinda "time lock". Just thinking about the possibility for long term space travel if this were even possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

And the article is a bit click baity. They didn't reverse time, they simply used an aspect of quantum physics that allowed heat to travel from a cold object to a hot one. But the very act of doing so disrupts the system and returns the system to normal.

It's exactly this "cannot do" attitude that  seems beneath even you Emma. Very unscientific. Why pretend as if you stroll the quantum dimensions sniffing the quantum roses on a daily basis?

BTW, what was the last quantum dimensional experiment you carried out?

:)

P.s.  air is not sound 

Edited by taniwha

4 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Actually it might, perhaps not in a vacuum, well, definitely not in a vacuum, but certainly as light passes through certain substances it slows down considerably, apparently 9.3 Kilometers per second is the slowest so far, and as I have no idea how fast air can move my point is about to run out steam anytime now. There, gone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taniwha said:

It's exactly this "cannot do" attitude that  seems beneath even you Emma. Very unscientific. Why pretend as if you stroll the quantum dimensions sniffing the quantum roses on a daily basis?

P.s.  air is not sound 

You cannot toss any old idea into the air and then claim it's immune to scrutiny.

Sound is carried on air. Air is subject to friction, drag etc.

Air cannot travel at the speed of light.

Last experiment? Never. Yours?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

Actually it might, perhaps not in a vacuum, well, definitely not in a vacuum, but certainly as light passes through certain substances it slows down considerably, apparently 9.3 Kilometers per second is the slowest so far, and as I have no idea how fast air can move my point is about to run out steam anytime now. There, gone. 

Yeah, thread lost half way through I think.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

You cannot toss any old idea into the air and then claim it's immune to scrutiny.

Sound is carried on air. Air is subject to friction, drag etc.

Air cannot travel at the speed of light.

Last experiment? Never. Yours?

What I'm really interested in is where this is all leading to.  Is there ever any solution by practicing negative thinking?

Why do you harp on about air cannot travel at the speed of light? What do you mean? Is this observation based on quantum experiments or not or do you just have an urgent need to state what's obvious? The importance you place on that statement genuinely bemuses me.

I think an interesting point of conversation might be the quantum realm and how it behaves, how it can be manipulated and how it can be applied to us.  In short bridging the gap and finding a connection between dimensions that may enlighten ourselves. 

12 hours ago, oldrover said:

It was said by Emma above that sound is carried on air but the relevance of that in the context of this discussion is obscure, at least to me anyway. Sound or pressure waves may travel through any medium, whether it be water, ice, gas or hardened steel really doesn't matter. How waves might travel through quantum dimensions is a mystery.

"..In quantum field theory, the quantum vacuum state (also called the quantum vacuum or vacuum state) is thequantum state with the lowest possible energy. Generally, it contains no physical particles. Zero-point field is sometimes used as a synonym for thevacuum state of an individual quantized field.."
Edited by taniwha

12 hours ago, taniwha said:

It was said by Emma above that sound is carried on air but the relevance of that in the context of this discussion is obscure, at least to me anyway. Sound or pressure waves may travel through any medium, whether it be water, ice, gas or hardened steel really doesn't matter. How waves might travel through quantum dimensions is a mystery.

"..In quantum field theory, the quantum vacuum state (also called the quantum vacuum or vacuum state) is thequantum state with the lowest possible energy. Generally, it contains no physical particles. Zero-point field is sometimes used as a synonym for thevacuum state of an individual quantized field.."

I really wouldn't know, I was being silly when I made that reply. 

On 12/14/2017 at 8:31 AM, taniwha said:

I'm pretty sure that the concept of "sound" at the quantum level is literally meaningless.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2017 at 3:43 PM, Emma_Acid said:

He was referring to other dimensions, where the laws of physics might be different.

• Like 1

In the Realm of Faerie, I suppose anything is possible.:rolleyes:

Great article, and a real brain-teaser. If eventually it’s proven that time isn’t ‘unidirectional’, then it opens the door for speculation that time may be ‘Omni-directional’. Perhaps time is similar to the Big Bang concept of an ever-expanding universe without a center.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2017 at 10:46 AM, taniwha said:

We sit by a campfire.  Science is a torch that we can carry with us to shed light on what was in darkness.  By experimentation, theory and correlation with observable facts, our picture of reality grows.  Some are strange and unexpected.  Then there is woo; sitting around the campfire and telling ghost stories about what might be out there.  Both are OK, but the two shouldn't be confused. 

On 15/12/2017 at 10:59 PM, Emma_Acid said:

I'm pretty sure that the concept of "sound" at the quantum level is literally meaningless.

Then you better read this first and then get back to me :)

Quantum physics: Quantum sound waves stick together

Although we think of sound as consisting of macroscopic waves, it has a quantum nature. The energy of a sound wave is an integer multiple of a fundamental quantum of vibrational energy called a phonon

https://www.nature.com/articles/527045a

Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

We sit by a campfire.  Science is a torch that we can carry with us to shed light on what was in darkness.  By experimentation, theory and correlation with observable facts, our picture of reality grows.  Some are strange and unexpected.  Then there is woo; sitting around the campfire and telling ghost stories about what might be out there.  Both are OK, but the two shouldn't be confused. 

Your point?

3 hours ago, simplybill said:

Great article, and a real brain-teaser. If eventually it’s proven that time isn’t ‘unidirectional’, then it opens the door for speculation that time may be ‘Omni-directional’. Perhaps time is similar to the Big Bang concept of an ever-expanding universe without a center.

Good question, and I wonder if we are moving simultaneously into the past as well as into the future...Whatever that means :rolleyes:

What 'unidirectional' time might look like to an observer would be interesting for sure.

Can the night precede day?  

I started a thread once asking is the universe a time machine.  I still think it is, and a mighty big one at that.

Regardless, here's something to consider...

This Quantum Theory Predicts That The Future Might Be Influencing The Past

One of the weirder aspects of quantum mechanics could be explained by an equally weird idea – that causation can run backwards in time as well as forwards.

What Einstein called "spooky" action at a distance could theoretically be evidence of retrocausality, which is the particle equivalent of you getting a stomach ache today thanks to tomorrow's bad lunch.

www.sciencealert.com/this-quantum-theory-predicts-the-future-might-influence-the-past

What do you think?

Edited by taniwha

51 minutes ago, taniwha said:

What do you think?

From the Science Alert article:

“If two particles are connected in space at some point, measuring a property of one of them instantly sets the value for the other, no matter where in the Universe it has moved to.”

I’m not a physicist, but this ^^^ I can understand, if put into the context of the Universe itself being a sort of ‘petri dish’ in which every material particle is interconnected through an unknown medium. It fits into Gerald Schroeder’s and George Wald’s concept of the universe:

“...our world, at it's deepest level, is not built of tangible discrete objects. Rather, when we look closely, we find that reality is as gossamer as a thought, that existence is closer to being an association of ideas than a conglomeration of atoms.”  Gerald Schroeder (Physicist)

“The stuff of which physical reality is composed is mind-stuff. It is mind that has composed a physical universe.”  George Wald (Biologist)

I interpret that to mean our Universe is suspended within an Intelligence, or Mind.

(I understand the concept, though I don’t have an opinion as to whether it’s true or not.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taniwha said:

Your point?

That it is fun to speculate, but unless you can test your speculation and prove it true or false, we don't gain any knowledge from it.  Sometimes a crazy idea has been the seed to an experiment, a test, and new understanding.  Sometimes you just have to let the crazy idea go.  Emma Acid has a pretty logical approach. When you bring up "cannot do attitude"  and say it is unscientific, I think you stray.  Cannot do is the boundary between what we know and what we don't.  You have to prove can do before you can include it in what we know.

7 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

That it is fun to speculate, but unless you can test your speculation and prove it true or false, we don't gain any knowledge from it.  Sometimes a crazy idea has been the seed to an experiment, a test, and new understanding.  Sometimes you just have to let the crazy idea go.  Emma Acid has a pretty logical approach. When you bring up "cannot do attitude"  and say it is unscientific, I think you stray.  Cannot do is the boundary between what we know and what we don't.  You have to prove can do before you can include it in what we know.

I think Black Monk said it best in #13...

16 hours ago, Black Monk said:

He was referring to other dimensions, where the laws of physics might be different.

.:rolleyes:..:rolleyes:..:rolleyes:..:rolleyes:..:rolleyes:.      

On 16/12/2017 at 8:46 PM, taniwha said:

Then you better read this first and then get back to me :)

Thanks.

I think you should do the reading to be honest. You can't just google "quantum sound" and then post the first link you find. Phonons are not "quantum sound waves". They are groups of atoms whose "elastic" behaviour is reminiscent of how atoms move in sound waves, hence being called "acoustic phonons". As far as I understand they are not actual sound waves. In much the same way particles are said to have "spin" but don't actually spin. It's just giving a macroscopic quality to something that is very hard to picture.

Sound travels through a medium, such as air. On a quantum level, air does not exist as it is made up on molecules.

Either way this is kind of irrelevant - you cannot just through any idea up in the air and claim it is immune from critical scrutiny. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2017 at 7:06 PM, taniwha said:

I think maybe.

Better if you think along the lines of Acoustic 'Levitation'

~

[00.06:47]

~

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

I think you should do the reading to be honest. You can't just google "quantum sound" and then post the first link you find. Phonons are not "quantum sound waves". They are groups of atoms whose "elastic" behaviour is reminiscent of how atoms move in sound waves, hence being called "acoustic phonons". As far as I understand they are not actual sound waves. In much the same way particles are said to have "spin" but don't actually spin. It's just giving a macroscopic quality to something that is very hard to picture.

Sound travels through a medium, such as air. On a quantum level, air does not exist as it is made up on molecules.

Either way this is kind of irrelevant - you cannot just through any idea up in the air and claim it is immune from critical scrutiny. 

Thank you for getting back. Your answer is interesting.

If we had a powerful enough microphone could we not tune into an atom and listen to it's heart beating?

Is an atom not capable of transferring vibrational energy internally?

Do you suppose sound waves need to be heard in order to exist?

You don't hear the sun shining right, but you do realize it is a concerto of sound?

Perhaps quantum matter plays its own unique music?