Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jeremy Corbyn gets a Christmas jumper

Still Waters

Jeremy Corbyn beamed as he was handed a Christmas jumper featuring his face and the slogan "Jerry Christmas."

There is demand around the festive season for decorations featuring pictures of the Labour leader, with people in previous years even putting Corbyn figurines atop their trees.

The quirky item of clothing is from NotJust, and the manufacturers said they will donate half the cost of each jumper to Save the Children.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/12/jeremy-corbyn-gets-christmas-jumper-featuring-face-can-buy/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

...... people in previous years even putting Corbyn figurines atop their trees.

Why settle for figurines ? :P

• Like 4

I actually really like Corbyn. If he can bring the Labour Party back to their roots then I'll be voting for them in the next election. My first time voting, if you can believe that!

• Like 3

On 12/12/2017 at 2:33 PM, ExpandMyMind said:

I actually really like Corbyn. If he can bring the Labour Party back to their roots then I'll be voting for them in the next election. My first time voting, if you can believe that!

Why want a government controlling your freedom and life?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

Why want a government controlling your freedom and life?

What alternative would you suggest?

Yes it would be interesting to have a Labour government. Recently we have had, in reverse chronological order: Tory, Tory/LD, Tory Light (Blair / Brown), Tory.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Yes it would be interesting to have a Labour government. Recently we have had, in reverse chronological order: Tory, Tory/LD, Tory Light (Blair / Brown), Tory.

And the country has become worse and worse as a result. What's the old adage about repeating the same thing over and over?

I've never actually experienced a liberal government throughout my entire life - which is just madness - but I think that will change with the rise of the internet and social media. The Millennial generation is becoming more accepting - and liberal in general - and are completely disillusioned with right-wing politics. The future is most definitely liberal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The Millennial generation is becoming more accepting - and liberal in general - and are completely disillusioned with right-wing politics. The future is most definitely liberal.

I hope you are right and I hope your Millennial generation get out to vote. 

I can understand the electorate voting poor governments out and replacing them, but I have always had difficulty understanding why Turkeys Vote for Christmas. I will leave you to interpret that as you like.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

I hope you are right and I hope your Millennial generation get out to vote. 

I can understand the electorate voting poor governments out and replacing them, but I have always had difficulty understanding why Turkeys Vote for Christmas. I will leave you to interpret that as you like.  

It's simple really in my eyes: a truly massive amount of uneducated voters have been getting their news from the extremely cheap right-wing daily rags but with the evolution of smart-phones and wifi there's no need to buy a physical paper, so the indoctrination ends.

And those rags' entire business model has revolved around sowing fear and discontent and blaming social programs such as benefits as the Great Evil in our country, allowing the elites to mug us off for hundreds of times the amount of money. 

It's incredible really. They blame the poor for cheating the government. The poor.

• Like 1

Looking after the workingclass jobs, stopping cheap labour forcing his wages down, you really think the posh boy Corbyn would go back to labours roots?

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It's simple really in my eyes: a truly massive amount of uneducated voters have been getting their news from the extremely cheap right-wing daily rags but with the evolution of smart-phones and wifi there's no need to buy a physical paper, so the indoctrination ends.

And those rags' entire business model has revolved around sowing fear and discontent and blaming social programs such as benefits as the Great Evil in our country, allowing the elites to mug us off for hundreds of times the amount of money. 

It's incredible really. They blame the poor for cheating the government. The poor.

The uneducated are those who can't be bothered to find out what it's like to live under the type of government you talk of.

Britain's economy during the 1970s was so weak that Callaghan warned his fellow Cabinet members in 1974 of the possibility of "a breakdown of democracy", telling them that "If I were a young man, I would emigrate."The Labour governments of Harold Wilson and Callaghan continued a fight begun in 1972 against inflation upon election in February 1974. Inflation had peaked at 26.9%

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

Looking after the workingclass jobs, stopping cheap labour forcing his wages down, you really think the posh boy Corbyn would go back to labours roots?

One can hope.

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

Britain's economy during the 1970s was so weak that Callaghan warned his fellow Cabinet members in 1974 of the possibility of "a breakdown of democracy", telling them that "If I were a young man, I would emigrate."The Labour governments of Harold Wilson and Callaghan continued a fight begun in 1972 against inflation upon election in February 1974. Inflation had peaked at 26.9%

Could you explain to me exactly how this was the fault of labour? 

38 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Could you explain to me exactly how this was the fault of labour? 

Allowing the unions to run the country, wasting billions by plowing it into nationalised industries where the workers were always on strike, 

Labour’s lowest point in government, perhaps, was when chancellor Denis Healey went “cap in hand” to the IMF in 1976, after his party’s fiscal incontinence has caused a run on the pound. This was Britain’s “economic Suez”, the moment the UK lost its status as a world-class economy.

Labour always leave the the econmy in tatters

Its not nearly as clear cut as some would like to think -

for instance some would blame the labour government for the 2008 crash - which is clearly nonsense, others have produced economic analysis which blame Reagan and Maggie for the same event.

Here is a reasonable link IMO https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-qa-which-party-has-a-better-track-record-on-the-economy

But do bear in mind that the liberals had an impact a few years ago - particularly in regard to the minimum wage and tax thresholds.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2017 at 8:14 PM, RAyMO said:

I'm old enough to have lived under several conservative governments and Labour governments, and the worst of times have always been during a Labour government.

And make no mistake...Blair was voted in as a Labour prime minister.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

21 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I'm old enough to have lived under several conservative governments and Labour governments, and the worst of times have always been during a Labour government.

And make no mistake...Blair was voted in as a Labour prime minister.

I'm old enough to have lived under several conservative governments and Labour governments, and the worst of times have always been during a Conservative government.

And make no mistake...Blair was voted in as a Labour prime minister - but carried out Tory lite policies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAyMO said:

I'm old enough to have lived under several conservative governments and Labour governments, and the worst of times have always been during a Conservative government.

And make no mistake...Blair was voted in as a Labour prime minister - but carried out Tory lite policies.

I beg to differ :-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_Discontent

Read the link, and whilst you're reading remember that Corbyns main backers are the trades unions.

• Like 1

On 2017-12-15 at 10:31 AM, RAyMO said:

That was quite interesting. I'd like to see something similar going all the way back to 1945. Or read an accessible non-partisan book on the same subject and that time period.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

20 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

We call them sweaters.

Thank you for the translation. I was wondering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Read the link, and whilst you're reading remember that Corbyns main backers are the trades unions.

I had written a lot about the ineptitude and disastrous policies of the Tories -  but there is no point - where I see a party bringing about social strife, destroying public services, promoting self above community, selling national assets, impervious the the needs of the many, you will see only the greatness and brilliance of Tory doctrine.

I don't need to read a link to 1974, I remember it, along with the unrest, and destruction and the polarisation of society during 80s. More recently I have read the released documents which showed the true face of a Tory Prime Minister in relation to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. The Tories are not know as the 'Nasty' party for nothing. 

Edited by RAyMO

9 hours ago, RAyMO said:

I had written a lot about the ineptitude and disastrous policies of the Tories -  but there is no point - where I see a party bringing about social strife, destroying public services, promoting self above community, selling national assets, impervious the the needs of the many, you will see only the greatness and brilliance of Tory doctrine.

I don't need to read a link to 1974, I remember it, along with the unrest, and destruction and the polarisation of society during 80s. More recently I have read the released documents which showed the true face of a Tory Prime Minister in relation to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. The Tories are not know as the 'Nasty' party for nothing. 

Ah...a Guardian reader.