Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HELP!

OverSword

@OverSword If your a big fan of the Beatles have you ever been over to Liverpool?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

No disrespect to anyones taste in music but...I'm with @.ZZ.

I respect the beatles for what they were/are to the past/present fans of actual music,i just never personally got "all the rage" over them...

Seeing @Farmer77 comparing them to Zeppelin makes me want to kick him in the nuts and punch him in the throat! :lol:

The 60's-70's had SO MUCH BETTER music and legendary bands...i dunno,the beatles just seem like comparing the backstreet boys to Alice in Chains :rofl:

Hmmm......If you knew knew a certain member of Alice as well as I do and had the same conversations about writing music or to be kind let's say "ripping off" the riff for Man in the Box off from your band mate, you would have chosen a different band. 

But in my own highly self regarded opinion on this matter I am in agreement with Farmer, the Beatles and Led Zeppelin are absolutely the two hugest influences on rock from that era.  It would be wrong to mention one without the other if you are having a conversation about it.  Did you know that people rarely recorded their own music, let alone entire albums of original music before the Beatles?  For their first three albums actually Led Zep was more like the greatest cover band on earth than the greatest band on earth truth be told as most of their music was 20 year old blues covers with a Zeppy twist.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

The Beatles crowds were just a lil bit "Roy Moore" 'ish... :wacko:

eta

Maybe "Bieber'ish" would be a better description...they were the first "boy band" 

At first, absolutely, but not long term.

13 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

@OverSword If your a big fan of the Beatles have you ever been over to Liverpool?

Haven't been to England yet, but would love to in the future.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OverSword said:

At first, absolutely, but not long term.

I would disagree.   They found each other in high school.   Wrote their own songs, played their own instruments.   Played in pubs for a long time. 

They made their way up the right way.   Continued to write their own stuff how they wanted to.  

The term "Boy band is kind of derogatory because many of those in that category are put together bands who only sing.   Was the Yardbirds a "boy band"?   Cream?  Uriah Heap?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Haven't been to England yet, but would love to in the future.

Me as well. A goal of mine before I hit dirt is to get my picture walking the crosswalk..in bare feet leading with the right...I was a Paul fan what can I say!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would disagree.   They found each other in high school.   Wrote their own songs, played their own instruments.   Played in pubs for a long time. 

They made their way up the right way.   Continued to write their own stuff how they wanted to.  

The term "Boy band is kind of derogatory because many of those in that category are put together bands who only sing.   Was the Yardbirds a "boy band"?   Cream?  Uriah Heap?

But the reference is about their fan base.  Go look at any early "Beatlemania" photo and it's 98% screaming 12 year old girls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

But the reference is about their fan base.  Go look at any early "Beatlemania" photo and it's 98% screaming 12 year old girls.

I see your point, although I would say in the 14-17 year old range mostly.    I'd say most of the male fans stayed away from the early concerts, but you still hear great musicians talk of how the Ed Sullivan appearance changed how they viewed music. 

Edited by Myles
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

I see your point, although I would say in the 14-17 year old range mostly.    I'd say most of the male fans stayed away from the early concerts, but you still here great musicians talk of how the Ed Sullivan appearance changed how they viewed music. 

A was just thinking about that the other day :tu:

• Like 1

I dunno...as Z said,guess "you had to be there"...

As i said i'm not knocking those who enjoy their music and i understand their historical significants...i just can't grasp the "beatle mania" :wacko: and can't put them in my personal top 50 ever as far as sound goes ;)

• Like 1

Here are 10 musicians who were affected by the Ed Sullivan appearance.

More than 73 million Americans watched the Beatlesdebut performance on The Ed Sullivan Show on Feb. 9, 1964. Among those inspired by this event were the youngsters who would grow up to be some of classic rock's biggest stars. The Fab Four's first performance on ‘Sullivan’ is such a watershed moment in the history of rock and roll, its influence on future music stars is taken for granted. If you picked up a guitar or got behind the drums in the decade that followed Beatlemania, it was just assumed that the ‘Sullivan’ broadcast had completely changed your life.

Decades later, in his song "I Saw It on T.V.," John Fogerty would sing, “We gathered round to hear the sound comin’ on the little screen / The grief had passed, the old men laughed, and all the girls screamed / ’Cause four guys from England took us all by the hand / It was time to laugh, time to sing, time to join the band.” Below are 10 stars who watched the Beatles that fateful night and then “joined the band.”

• Tom Petty

I think the whole world was watching that night. It certainly felt that way. You just knew it, sitting in your living room, that everything around you was changing. It was like going from black-and-white to color. Really. I remember earlier that day, in fact, a kid on a bike passed me and said, ‘Hey, the Beatles are on TV tonight.’ I didn’t know him, he didn’t know me, and I thought to myself, ‘This means something.’ [The Beatles] came out and just flattened me. To hear them on the radio was amazing enough, but to finally see them play, it was electrifying.” (Guitar World)

Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and others -- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

• Gene Simmons

Kiss

“There is no way I’d be doing what I do now if it wasn’t for the Beatles. I was watching The Ed Sullivan Show and I saw them. Those skinny little boys, kind of androgynous, with long hair like girls. It blew me away that these four boys [from] the middle of nowhere could make that music. Then they spoke and I thought ‘What are they talking like?’ We had never heard the Liverpool accent before. I thought that all British people spoke like the Queen.” (Liverpool Echo)

KISS - Play "The Beatles" etc. / Eric Carr on guitar [ HOT IN THE SHADE rehearsals ]

• Billy Joel

“The Beatles really synthesized what I wanted to do. The single biggest moment that I can remember being galvanized into wanting to be a musician for life was seeing the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show.”

Billy Joel - I'll Cry Instead (The Beatles Cover)

• Joe Perry

Aerosmith

“Seeing them on TV was akin to a national holiday. Talk about an event. I never saw guys looking so cool. I had already heard some of their songs on the radio, but I wasn’t prepared by how powerful and totally mesmerizing they were to watch. It changed me completely. I knew something was different in the world that night. Next day at school, the Beatles were all anybody could talk about. Us guys had to play it kind of cool, because the girls were so excited and were drawing little hearts on their notebooks -- ‘I love Paul,’ that kind of thing. But I think there was an unspoken thing with the guys that we all dug the Beatles, too. We just couldn’t come right out and say it.” (Music Radar)

• Nancy Wilson

Heart

“The lightning bolt came out of the heavens and struck Ann and me the first time we saw the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. … There’d been so much anticipation and hype about the Beatles that it was a huge event, like the lunar landing: that was the moment Ann and I heard the call to become rock musicians. I was seven or eight at the time. … They were really pushing hard against the morality of the times. That might seem funny to say now, since it was in their early days and they were still wearing suits. But the sexuality was bursting out of the seams. … But we didn’t want to marry them or anything -- we wanted to be them. Right away we started doing air guitar shows in the living room, faking English accents, and studying all the fanzines. Ann always got to be Paul, and I was mostly George or John ... ” (Believer)

Heart- I'm Down-Long Tall Sally

• Rick Nielsen

Cheap Trick

“Seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan was the beginning. That got me to learn how to play the guitar.” (AZCentral.com)

Cheap Trick Getting Better, Sgt Pepper's Revisited

• Richie Sambora

Bon Jovi

“One of my earliest memories was sitting cross-legged on the floor in the living room of the house I grew up in and looking up at the black-and-white TV set and watching the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. I was 5 years old and I remember thinking, ‘Wow! That’s what I want to do.’ I know it sounds absurd – most 5-year-old boys say they want to be firemen or policemen or baseball players, or even the president. Not me. I wanted to be one of the Beatles. … But seeing the kind of reaction the Beatles got from girls … hey, what guy wouldn't say, ‘That’s what I want!’?” (Music Radar)

Here Comes The Sun - Bon Jovi

• Steven Van Zandt

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band

“This was the main event of my life. It was certainly the major event for many others, whether or not they knew it at the time. For me, it was no less dramatic than aliens landing on the planet. … There's no equivalent of that today, TV shows that literally everybody watched. All ages, all ethnic groups, all in black and white on a 14-inch screen. … It was their sound, their looks, their attitudes. It was so many things. A time to look at things differently, question things a little bit. All kinds of things were new. (Associated Press)

• Chrissie Hynde

The Pretenders

“I remember exactly where I was sitting. It was amazing. It was like the axis shifted. I remember the first time I saw the 45 in the record bin in the discount house where my parents shopped and held it in my hand. It was kind of like an alien invasion. If you were a little virgin and didn’t want to grow up like I didn’t, didn’t want to enter the adult world like I didn’t, it gave you some kind of new avenue of sexuality. It could be more cerebral. You didn’t have to actually touch the person’s acne. … [The day after, the boys] all combed their hair down and made bangs! Me too! I could never set my hair in rollers again. I combed it out straight and cut my bangs. Oh yeah. It was a whole other thing.” (Austin Chronicle)

The Pretenders - Don't Let Me Down (Live Beatles cover)

• Gary Rossington

Lynyrd Skynyrd

“We saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan like everybody else in our generation, and freaked out and wanted to start a rock ’n’ roll band. But then we got serious, and we really had this dream to become something, to make a mark.” (Billboard)

Gary-Rossington.jpg?w=980&q=75
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Myles said:

Europe and Asian huh.

Not quite what I meant :lol:

~

Here ...

~

[00.05:29]

~

... and ...

~