Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neolithic Thames Beater Could Kill a Person

Piney

24 minutes ago, Piney said:

Not an archaeologist so forgive my ignorance but was there every any consideration that this could have been a boat paddle? They sure like a slightly smaller version of the things sitting in my canoe right now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Not an archaeologist so forgive my ignorance but was there every any consideration that this could have been a boat paddle? They sure like a slightly smaller version of the things sitting in my canoe right now. 

Too thick and heavy.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Piney said:

Too thick and heavy.

Definitely not a paddle but much more utility than the average club. Flat side for shock impact to incapacitate and hard thin edge for trauma. Tuned grip for one or two hand use. Pommel rounded like that could be used as a pestle. Pointed wedge shaped end and flat face could be used like a shovel. Neolithic Swiss army knife. That's pretty awesome.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Piney said:

Too thick and heavy.

I know I know I have to stop eating junk food

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Piney said:

Interesting article though the barrel to blade carving ratio in the replica looks a bit off compared to the original. Not that the Thames beater would be a bad choice for bludgeoning someone but there may have been a more utilitarian purpose of the artefact other than cracking a person's skull.

It is not tined, but appears to me as something that would be useful for harvesting tubers from a loamy soil.

It could also stir mash fermenting in a tun. Later German beer makers would use a similar wooden paddle in just such a manner. 

If it were constructed only as a bludgeoning device, such a wide blade would be completely unnecessary. A common two by four sizes piece of timber cut to that length with a pommel and a barrel carved for a hand grip would generate sufficient force.

Again, I am not saying that it is not a satisfactory choice of implement to bash someone's brains out. I just think that there is a different primary purpose for the tool.

• Like 3

Okay, who else initially read that as beaver?

the shape of the original looks suspiciously like a club for killing seals or salmon.

• Like 2