Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space shuttle Ultra Slow motion Launch

toast

The beauty of flames

• Like 5

I watched the shuttle Columbia lift off at around midnight on a mission to loft the Chandra X-ray Observatory into space.  I was 6 miles away and I remember the pale, golden light from the engines and also the distinct, separate sounds of the main engines vs the SRB's igniting.  That was one of the most thrilling sights I've ever experienced. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, and then said:

I watched the shuttle Columbia lift off at around midnight on a mission to loft the Chandra X-ray Observatory into space.  I was 6 miles away and I remember the pale, golden light from the engines and also the distinct, separate sounds of the main engines vs the SRB's igniting.  That was one of the most thrilling sights I've ever experienced. 

In 2010 I planned to travel to the US to watch the last Shuttle launch but some circumstances prevented the trip. I know ESA guys who watched a few starts and were told that even to watch a fifth launch is as exiting as the first one. I really miss that experience but hell, I had a small talk with Paolo Nespoli some years ago, and yes, it was fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toast said:

In 2010 I planned to travel to the US to watch the last Shuttle launch but some circumstances prevented the trip. I know ESA guys who watched a few starts and were told that even to watch a fifth launch is as exiting as the first one. I really miss that experience but hell, I had a small talk with Paolo Nespoli some years ago, and yes, it was fun.

I grew up in the 60's, watching the Apollo missions as a kid and it was like magic.  I always wanted to see a launch and visit the Kennedy Space Center.  That trip was on the bucket list and I'll always remember it fondly.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, toast said:

The beauty of flames

"Oh, we pray for one last landing, on the globe that gave us birth.

Let me rest my eyes on fleecy skies and the cool green hills of Earth."                        Robert Heinlein.

• Like 2