Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outdoor Stories Thread

Farmer77

I used to visit a girlfriend who lived about 3 miles away....when I was a teenager.... I never had a car or much money so I always walked there. Following the streets was the longer route, but walking a diagonal over a park and a field slashed the route to about 1.5 miles, tho I never did it as the park and field were in total darkness

However, one night it had snowed.....which meant I could see right across the park and field.....due to the moonlight and snow making things brighter....so....I chose to take that route one night at about one in the morning...

I never used to feel comfortable in the dark...but as said the snow and the moon meant I could see at least two hundred yards ahead at a time, so I took my chance and began to walk over the usually pitch black park and field

Once in the middle of this huge park.....and the park was just cropped grassland with a few trees... (not a play park).....I saw what looked like a dog....running straight towards me.....it never barked or made a sound.  Well Ive never been scared of dogs so wasnt bothered....

Until it got to me and went down on its haunches....and started growling quite menacingly..... I stopped absolutely still....said something like "come here boy".....being friendly and not showing fear.....WHEN.....another dog came running from the other side of me....it joined the first dog, but was about ten foot away from me....and it too.....went down and began snarling...

what was I to do? Alone in the middle of a vast bit of land....away from roads and streetlights and people, late at night....and I sensed I was in a lot of crap....2 dogs....snarling in front of me....they had approached in a hunting manner....coming from either direction....and were just there, growling and watching me

I got that twitch of fear and for the first time in my life, I sensed very real danger...

I called out to them, trying to sound confident and friendly....but they just growled and looked ready to pounce

Back in those days I carried a swiss army knife.... and I slowly took it out, opened the big blade....Ive never hurt an animal intentionally, but that night....I knew if they pounced I was too far away to be helped, not that anyone else was around anyway

So I was ready to stab the dog that attacked...

I was very still ......just standing there, sensing any movement I may make could see them attack... my mind spinning with options... I knew I couldnt outrun them....so I was prepared to fight...what other choice was there?

I raised my knife up, preparing to stab down on any part of the dog that attacked....while trying to think of a way out of that situation...when one of the dogs got up and circled behind me....now what do I do? I cant watch 2 dogs at once that way....and the hairs on my neck stood up and I was filled with dread...the dogs watched me, growling, I stood there not knowing what was going to happen....it was a face-off

after what seemed an age.... the dog facing me stopped growling....and ran off....I spun round to see the second dog follow him...

Needless to say I made my way hurriedly across that park and field and reached the safety of the streets and lights

It was one of the weirdest and scariest moments in my life.  I often wonder if they could even have been wolves...we do have them in the UK....but you never usually see them or hear about them...

• Like 6

When I was 16 I went on camping with a few friends to Roca Lake in El Calafate (south-west of Argentina). Since we couldn't afford the fee for the entrance to the actual campsite we decided to go into the wild without permission (you can't do that here) and camp near to the lake. So for a couple of days we had fun, drank lots of beers and fish a bit. We gathered a decent amount of trash that we put in two big black bags and we put it like 50 meters from our tent.
One night we were trying to sleep and we heard the sound of a bottle falling to the floor. Quickly we look at each other and without saying a word we understood that there was either a wild animal or a person too near our tent. The noises kept coming and also we heard a few growls and we feared the worst.

Calafate among other cities in the west is where pumas (cougars) live in the wild and that's why you shouldn't enter to the woods without permission. The thing is that one of us opened the tent a bit to have a look and there was quite clear due to the full moon and he saw it, a big cat with 2 little cats around our garbage. We took turns to watch but suddenly we realised that pumas attack people if they feel threatened so we gathered a few weapons: 1 knife, una beer-can opener and one piece of wood and we waited. 

The puma sniffed around and soon they left. We took turns that night in case the animal would come back but he never did. We came home back the morning after.

• Like 6

On another job a young woman and I were quietly grass seeding a deactivated logging road when from behind an old cull pile of logs I heard a loud grunt and saw a huge furry lump spring out of the trees.

I'm sure that we both screamed but were both relieved to see that it was a young moose and not a grizzly.

• Like 6

Some years ago I was camping with some of my family on some dredge ponds near an old mining town where my mom was raised. I was taking the kids for rides on a four wheeler to look around at an old dredge that has been rotting away on the pond since the 30s. I had one of my boys on back when we buzzed around a clump of trees and about 20 feet away was a big ol moose. Big as a barn she was calmly munching away standing in the dredge pond and didn't care a lick that we were watching. After a while I turned back and got one of the others and went back. Sure enough there she was without a care in the world munching away. I got to bring everyone by to see her before she wandered off.

Another time over on the Oregon coast we were camping at a state park. This place had asphalt and fire pits, a regular holiday inn. My brother-in-law and I were sitting out drinking beers in the dark when I saw this raccoon come creeping up real stealthy like. He just looked right at us and raised up. I told my brother-in-law "Look he thinks he is gonna take us." While we were laughing at least 50 more raccoons popped up like a grey wave. All around us were tiny red eyes.They were roaming the campground in a gang and we decided to go inside the trailer. They damn straight showed us who was boss.  

• Like 5

My Grandpop Pierce and Uncle Leon had me as a bagger while coon hunting. I stopped my horse at a former ghost town named Eagle to relieve myself. I was squatting down when I heard small paws trotting through the leaves. I flicked on my helmet light to see what was up and a fox was sitting right in front of me watching me do my doo. When I finished he got up turned around and trotted away.:lol:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, MrBene said:

Have you ever had to use that gun against an animal threating you? 

No, never. I just backed away.

• Like 3

Watched a black bear swim across the lake once, it was really cool. It happened the weekend after we camped on an island at the lake. My kids both yelled “You lied to us!!” ‘cause I told there weren’t any bears. In my defense, they were little and I didn’t want them to be scared. Needless to say they don’t want to camp at the lake anymore. 

I did see a piebald deer in my backyard once.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

I did see a piebald deer in my backyard once.

I see a lot of them because of the heavy inbreeding in my area (Upper Deerfield/Alloway, New Jersey).

• Like 2

No pics...

Bow hunting alone in the Sierra's outside of Reno,Nevada. (1990's) Scouted out an area with a nice spring. Went to sleep in the back of my 72 blazer, with the top off. Woke up to bear prints all around my tailgate, and camp area.

2 weeks later.....

Same area. Went for a walk in the late afternoon, not hunting at this time. (did not want to hit a deer, and not find it) Walked about 3 miles from camp. Saw a very shiny object on a tree. Walked over to it to see:

"Use extreme caution. University Nevada Reno Bear catch and release area!"

Guns are(were?) not allowed when bow hunting in Nevada.

Anyway, boring, but 2 quick stories since I do not post much anymore. Have more, maybe post later on.

• Like 6

Nothing as spectacular as bears,wolves or moose I'm afraid but I did get chased and attacked by a pheasant once the bloody thing wouldn't give up, apparently it was quite well known for chasing people another time I was pigeon shooting I slipped into a ditch and came face to face with a big old boar badger which actually charged me then turn and carried on his journey it was a really bizzare moment 

• Like 4