Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

“Optimistic Nihilism” and Whistling Past

markdohle

Just now, Essan said:

Depends what you mean by God :)  

It depends on what you 'know' of God.

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

It depends on what you 'know' of God.

Well that, again, will depend on what you are using the word God to describe ;) 

Nature?  A bearded bloke who sits on a mountain throwing lightning bolts at anyone who doesn't follow his commandments to the letter?   The collective spiritual conscience of humanity?   Immeasureably advanced space aliens who seeded this galaxy with life?   A scapegoat for when things go wrong? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Essan said:

Well that, again, will depend on what you are using the word God to describe ;) 

Nature?  A bearded bloke who sits on a mountain throwing lightning bolts at anyone who doesn't follow his commandments to the letter?   The collective spiritual conscience of humanity?   Immeasureably advanced space aliens who seeded this galaxy with life?   A scapegoat for when things go wrong? 

What can be 'known' of God can only be determined by a person's sincerity of 'wanting' to know in the first place.

Generally, the more you look for this knowledge on the outside, like in books and religious traditions, the more confused you'll probably be, unless there is an honest devotion to the business of truth discovery. 

The place to start looking for God isn't on the outside. It's on the inside. That's where he is most of all, there to reveal himself, and to reveal who you are in relation to him. There really is no other way to 'know' God.

Therer is no other way to know what you think of as being God.   Others have different concepts of what God is/means.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Essan said:

Others have different concepts of what God is/means.

Yes and it's only through these concepts that the truth of who God is will result in 'knowing' that God is much more than the meaning of an idea.

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sorry but god is just an idea.

Then that's the beginning for you, like it is for everyone. 

Just now, Will Due said:

Then that's the beginning for you, like it is for everyone. 

No. Without someone putting the idea of god in your head. Such a thing wouldn't even be a part of your life. God is a cultural memetic virus. Someone's idea. How they decided to look for meaning. 

• Like 2

Un - know everything about ever said of god to truly know more of god  ... empty the cup ...

~

[00.00:49]

~

It is better to know God than lie ever in bed.  But enlightened is he who walks without a crutch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Without someone putting the idea of god in your head. Such a thing wouldn't even be a part of your life. 

Then who put in the mind of the first caveman, who thought about it, the idea of God, that became a part of his life?

Just now, Will Due said:

Then who put in the mind of the first caveman, who thought about it, the idea of God, that became a part of his life?

It was probably fear and s/he was probably talking to one of their dead relatives. All it takes is one idea Will. Just like the idea that aliens talk to people and instruct them to write a book. 

• Like 2

Ugg:  "What made it rain?"
Ogg: "sumfink unknowable"

And that's God ...... ;) 

(something unknowable that explains what we don't understand.   In many cases it's just Mother Nature.   Over time it also became a carrot, a stick and, for many, a crutch)

Edited by Essan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It was probably fear and s/he was probably talking to one of their dead relatives. All it takes is one idea Will. Just like the idea that aliens talk to people and instruct them to write a book. 

I already told you that you're a lot more plugged in than you let on. 

All that's left now, is for you to realize that it's all, much more than an idea.

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

I already told you that you're a lot more plugged in than you let on. 

All that's left now, is for you to realize that it's all, much more than an idea.

vju9r.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Essan said:

Ugg:  "What made it rain?"
Ogg: "sumfink unknowable"

And that's God ...... ;) 

(something unknowable that explains what we don't understand.   In many cases it's just Mother Nature.   Over time it also became a carrot, a stick and, for many, a crutch)

You're very perceptive. 

But nature isn't God, however a crutch the idea that he is, may be for some, temporarily.

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

vju9r.jpg

I've already been told that over and over and over again.

Then one day long ago, I realized that everything I've been led to believe is a lie, is the lie.

Yet there is no truth in spirituality only, desire. The desire for meaning, the desire for purpose, driven by the fear of the eternal no-thingness. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

vju9r.jpg

Well today seems to be one of those days of intermittent "you cannot give reputation to this person", like and "you have used 200 likes" so it's a crap shoot as to whether or not I can like anything. LIKE :tu:

jmccr8

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Well today seems to be one of those days of intermittent "you cannot give reputation to this person", like and "you have used 200 likes" so it's a crap shoot as to whether or not I can like anything. LIKE :tu:

jmccr8

What?

You didn't like anything I posted today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

I've already been told that over and over and over again.

Then one day long ago, I realized that everything I've been led to believe is a lie, is the lie.

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

Un - know everything about ever said of god to truly know more of god  ... empty the cup ...

~

[00.00:49]

~

Indeed empty the cup and one will note that what is there is emptiness, the essence of Zen. 

Nothing, I don't know is a difficult conclusion for those who need... Imho

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Indeed empty the cup and one will note that what is there is emptiness, the essence of Zen. 

Nothing, I don't know is a difficult conclusion for those who need... Imho

I think the need comes from wanting meaning in life. When we attach ourselves to things, we live for those things. This can be good or bad, maybe both because it depends on with that thing is. Idea's can be the worst thing to get attached to. Because once some form of truth is revealed that idea is disturbed. So for myself, perhaps just myself, the idea of being indifferently agnostic means a lot of things are possible, but it doesn't matter really. I'm here for one moment only. Once that's up I don't want my last thoughts to be on regret or fear of missing out. The idea of being optimistic nihilism sits well with me. I couldn't live my life trying to live up to some exaggerated religious expectations. I can be true to myself and honest in my actions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I think the need comes from wanting meaning in life. When we attach ourselves to things, we live for those things. This can be good or bad, maybe both because it depends on with that thing is. Idea's can be the worst thing to get attached to. Because once some form of truth is revealed that idea is disturbed. So for myself, perhaps just myself, the idea of being indifferently agnostic means a lot of things are possible, but it doesn't matter really. I'm here for one moment only. Once that's up I don't want my last thoughts to be on regret or fear of missing out. The idea of being optimistic nihilism sits well with me. I couldn't live my life trying to live up to some exaggerated religious expectations. I can be true to myself and honest in my actions. 

But what there's more to yourself than just 'myself'?

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

But what there's more to yourself than just 'myself'?

There isn't. You can create the illusion that there is, but this is due to seeking a higher meaning in something that has no meaning. An invited purpose of self importance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

There isn't. You can create the illusion that there is, but this is due to seeking a higher meaning in something that has no meaning. An invited purpose of self importance.

Again, you're just too modest.