Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Redefining the term 'UFO'

Fila

On 18/12/2017 at 8:08 AM, Area201 said:

ufo hunting is a field event not reading and posting threads. one has to be in "hot spots" and have the right equipment. I don't do it, but if I was serious about it I would go this route. ufo proof wearhouse

Yea true. I would more be UFO spotting.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2017 at 1:39 AM, Fila said:

Don't we all just hate that word? And this argument seems to come up a lot.

UFOs are Unidentified Flying Objects, however this is relative to the observer. Technically a cloud could be a UFO to some people.Some assume UFO means ETV.

For me personally.., a UFO is something I cannot identify myself. I assume every individual's would be the same with a few differences (trained observer compared to general knowledge, compared to limited knowledge of astronomy, aircraft etc)

After many years.., you guys have seen it all. So much, that you could probably write a detailed list of events that were not ETV (drone, bird, the moon)

But then there's this scenario. Someone will visit this site and post an image of a UFO asking us for advice. They also have their own comprehension of what UFOs are. So now we have my version of what UFOs are.., yours.., and the witness asking for advice. That's 3 different versions of what the term 'UFO' could potentially mean.

It can change again, depending on context. Talking about 'UFO' reports will get someone fired up, stating UFO does not mean aliens. When that's just what they are called.

Is there a way to make this less ambiguous?

How about we either come up with a new term (UAP, unknowns etc) we are all comfortable with.

Or.., perhaps we do create a list of events shown to not be UFOs (swamp gas, jets, meteors etc)

What do you think?

A UFO is something that to the observer is unidentifiable and flying around. It is a definition and there is nothing ambiguous about it. Whatsoever. Nor do I know anybody hating that definition. It is only ambiguous to those that want to make something out of nothing.

Thus, I cannot even begin to fathom why one would want to change that definition. At all.

Cheers,
Badeskov

Edited by badeskov
  • Like 1

On 18/12/2017 at 11:07 AM, badeskov said:

A UFO is something that to the observer is unidentifiable and flying around. It is a definition and there is nothing ambiguous about it. Whatsoever. Nor do I know anybody hating that definition. It is only ambiguous to those that want to make something out of nothing.

Thus, I cannot even begin to fathom why one would want to change that definition. At all

ambiguous: open to more than one interpretation;