Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Samples of my artwork

Sooth Sayer

20449124_778908328958011_242204690188305This one is finished but this is a pic of it before completion. I document my art so people can see it from pencil sketch to finished work. 

• Like 9

The above art (the alien drawing) took me about 50 hours of time from start to finish. And the whole time I was working 40-50 hours a week as a machine welder. 

Edited by Sooth Sayer
To claify something about a previous post.
  • Like 6

20507603_778888278960016_231626953442071I really like this one. I did it about two years ago. It's not really finished (I could have filled in a background) but I felt that it worked in this manner. I love the humor aspect of it. The man is looking for his missing pet and he is asking a monstrous looking creature if he knows its whereabouts. As if it was normal to encounter such creatures. And the creature, is pondering whether or not he can identify the lost pup. 

Sadly, everyone I have shown this too, has failed to see the humor in it and have just said, it looks nice. Ha, maybe it's just me. 

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Sooth Sayer said:

Sadly, everyone I have shown this too, has failed to see the humor in it and have just said, it looks nice. Ha, maybe it's just me. 

You need a background to facilitate the idea to the whole picture ... like you said, it looks 'unfinished' and that's the first general impression people will get from it

~

• Like 1

12 hours ago, third_eye said:

You need a background to facilitate the idea to the whole picture ... like you said, it looks 'unfinished' and that's the first general impression people will get from it

~

Hey there. Well that one was done just for myself. But thanks for the insight. 

The focus was entirely on the weirdness of the encounter and the look on the monsters face. 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:57 PM, Sooth Sayer said:

20507603_778888278960016_231626953442071I really like this one. I did it about two years ago. It's not really finished (I could have filled in a background) but I felt that it worked in this manner. I love the humor aspect of it. The man is looking for his missing pet and he is asking a monstrous looking creature if he knows its whereabouts. As if it was normal to encounter such creatures. And the creature, is pondering whether or not he can identify the lost pup. 

It's not just you, although most people don't like to acknowledge dark humor it seems. I thought maybe he was trying to remember if that dog was lunch, and what to say.

Took me a moment to recognize the Big Bang caricature but I knew it felt familiar.

You have a nice style for comic art and good range. It's not as easy as it seems to move from whimsical characters to detailed ones. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

It's not just you, although most people don't like to acknowledge dark humor it seems. I thought maybe he was trying to remember if that dog was lunch, and what to say.

Took me a moment to recognize the Big Bang caricature but I knew it felt familiar.

You have a nice style for comic art and good range. It's not as easy as it seems to move from whimsical characters to detailed ones. 

Thank you. I have worked very hard at improving over the last few years. I've found that with comic art, inking is more of what needs my attention. I've realized pencil is a guide and my style is in the inking. 

As for the monster/man drawing, I thought about putting in animal bones on the ground but thought it would be going too far. I love dark humor. 

Glad you like it. 

• Like 3

Now I have to watch Wizards again! Peace...

Good stuff!

I agree with you that pencils create a scene but inking brings it to life and creates depth. Although I must admit there are some amazingly realistic pencil artists out there way more dedicated than I will ever be.

I once did some freelance stuff for an online horror mag back in the 90s, I can't even remember what it was called. All pencil and charcoal drawings to fit the motif. Monsters and murder and such. Very dark subject matter which was kind of my thing. Then after a few months the editor who recruited me sold it and less than a year later it was gone. 

I like your use of bold strong colors. The Scooby one screams Hanna Barbara to me, the Spaceman Spiff panel looks just as I imagine Watterson would have done it, and yet your original designs show you have your own style. So keep it up, enjoy, and you will just keep getting better. If you can make a dollar along the way so much the better! 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 3:29 AM, BorizBadinov said:

Now I have to watch Wizards again! Peace...

Good stuff!

I agree with you that pencils create a scene but inking brings it to life and creates depth. Although I must admit there are some amazingly realistic pencil artists out there way more dedicated than I will ever be.

I once did some freelance stuff for an online horror mag back in the 90s, I can't even remember what it was called. All pencil and charcoal drawings to fit the motif. Monsters and murder and such. Very dark subject matter which was kind of my thing. Then after a few months the editor who recruited me sold it and less than a year later it was gone. 

I like your use of bold strong colors. The Scooby one screams Hanna Barbara to me, the Spaceman Spiff panel looks just as I imagine Watterson would have done it, and yet your original designs show you have your own style. So keep it up, enjoy, and you will just keep getting better. If you can make a dollar along the way so much the better! 

Hello, thank you. :)

Glad you like my work. I'd like to see your art sometime. 

For my colors I currently use copic markers and color pencils. Sometimes a little water colors. And the Calvin was a study as suggested by another local artist that I should do now and then. He said it would help me to understand the process better. So yea that's where I'm at as of now anyway. I try to make each one better than the last, doesn't always happen but try try again. 

• Like 2

I like these strange looking lizard/reptile type creatures. This is from 2 years ago. I was still actively watching how to videos online to help. Since I didn't have the money for college level art class and I stopped taking art class in 9th grade it's been DIY all this time. 

14712633_114569069017902_7486592707595661179_o.jpg

• Like 3

I wasn't classically trained either. There have been some good and bad points to that, but I think as long as one keeps the willingness to learn new things it doesn't hold you back much. When I was working in cad design in a cubical farm I spent a lot of time mentoring people. They thought I was really smart but the truth is that everyone I helped almost always also taught me some little trick I didn't know before.  

Now we have youtube :)

• Like 2

On 13/12/2017 at 8:57 PM, Sooth Sayer said:

Wonderful artwork Sooth Sayer.  Maybe you should try using clay+wire to sculpture some of your ideas too.  That green critter above looks very similar to something I once put together with clay.  My creation was born out of my love for Terry Pratchets Discword and a City Watch troll with very large club.  :) 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2017 at 5:55 PM, Mr Mork said:

Wonderful artwork Sooth Sayer.  Maybe you should try using clay+wire to sculpture some of your ideas too.  That green critter above looks very similar to something I once put together with clay.  My creation was born out of my love for Terry Pratchets Discword and a City Watch troll with very large club.  :) 

Thanks Mr Mork. I have no idea what clay wire is. lol

I'm thinking it must be a computer program. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sooth Sayer said:

Thanks Mr Mork. I have no idea what clay wire is. lol

I'm thinking it must be a computer program. 

Close (I suppose.)  A good strong wire is ideal for the "framework" (not computer language) or joints in a 3D model (also sounds computer related) before applying clay.  :) 

32 minutes ago, Mr Mork said:

Close (I suppose.)  A good strong wire is ideal for the "framework" (not computer language) or joints in a 3D model (also sounds computer related) before applying clay.  :) 

You mean working with actual clay? I was never any good with clay and sculpting. I wish I had a gift for doing that. 

32 minutes ago, Sooth Sayer said:

You mean working with actual clay? I was never any good with clay and sculpting. I wish I had a gift for doing that. 

Yes.  I`m pretty sure that you may now surprise yourself Sooth

As you know: When you plan/sketch/draw/paint an image, you are constantly visualising and reviewing it in your mind(in an almost 3 dimensional way).  Take the tone of flesh, its physical expression, its mass, direction, angle etc.  Its more or less the same approach when you sculpture something (and you also work from detailed sketches too- well I did with the troll).  And since your adept at depicting bipedal forms in all manner of posers -  why not have a go and surprise yourself.

• Like 1