Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oumuamua

Inversion5

I knew the photo was a hoax since the first images of the object were just dots and the form of the object was inferred from analysis of the light reflected off of the object.

• Like 2

So....for those posting photos of this thing..... do you know.... how close it came to earth?  One source I read said  "it passed the Earth at around 85 times further than the moon"

so quite a distance.... and what or who took photos?

Moon to Earth distance is:  238,900 miles, now times that by 85......

then tell me anyone has a detailed close up photo of it....

• Like 3

This asteroid probably crossed interstellar space at 26 km/s. Voyager is moving at around 17 km/s. Although slower, the two objects are moving somewhat close to the same speed.

1 hour ago, seeder said:

So....for those posting photos of this thing..... do you know.... how close it came to earth?  One source I read said  "it passed the Earth at around 85 times further than the moon"

so quite a distance.... and what or who took photos?

Moon to Earth distance is:  238,900 miles, now times that by 85......

then tell me anyone has a detailed close up photo of it....

Oumuamua passed within about 21 million miles of Earth. Since it's only about 400 meters long, the best images of it showed it as a mere dot. The picture showing it as an elongated object are an artist's conception. The elongated shape of the object (40 by 400 meters) was inferred by variations in the amount of light reflected from it, as it tumbles, end over end, through space.

Edited by bison
added information
  • Like 4

I might add that the 10 to 1 length/width ratio of Oumuamua is correct if its small ends point in our direction as it spins. If they point away from Earth somewhat,  the object would have to be even longer, in proportion to its width, to account for the ten-fold changes in brightness. Of course, it's much likelier that the object points at one of many directions other than the only one directly facing Earth.    

Edited by bison
revised for clarity
  • Like 2

Mysterious object detected hurtling through our solar system swept for radio signals, but scientists have found no evidence it is anything other than rock

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/dec/14/is-oumuamua-an-alien-spacecraft-first-scans-show-no-signs-of-technology

We also have another thread about this:

Very interesting to read from the Guardian article, that while no continuous radio emissions were immediately discerned from Oumuamua, some 'intermittent candidates' apparently were. Breakthrough Listen reportedly will look into these further. Additional radio monitoring of the object is proposed for the near future. 

23 minutes ago, bison said:

Very interesting to read from the Guardian article, that while no continuous radio emissions were immediately discerned from Oumuamua, some 'intermittent candidates' apparently were. Breakthrough Listen reportedly will look into these further. Additional radio monitoring of the object is proposed for the near future. 

How cool would it be if it turns out to be an ancient alien equivalent of Voyager that has travelled over thousands of years from a neighbouring star system and has now reached ours before it continues on?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5175235/Oumuamua-alien-probe-BROKEN-engines.html

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1