Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Were we wrong about Assad?

Only_

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Interesting how you praise Putin for acting decisively and excuse Obama for not.

Maybe, I am too cynical in my old age, but maybe ISIS weren't really the target in those days. The moderate 'rebels' and ISIS had a common enemy Assad, and the old saying "my enemy's enemy is my friend" may have been lingering somewhere in the US rationale. 

Perhaps Putin falling firmly behind Assad brought about a re-ordering of priorities necessitating greater focus on ISIS.

12 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

The pundits were wrong about Assad and the Islamic State. As usual, they're not willing to admit it

[...]

The notion that Assad “won’t fight” Islamic State was always wrong. The notion that “defeating Islamic State also requires defeating Bashar Assad” was, likewise, always wrong. By now it should be obvious that the Syrian Arab Army has played a role in degrading Islamic State in Syria — not alone, of course, but with Russian and Iranian partners, not to mention the impressive U.S.-led coalition. In marked contrast to pundit expectations, the group’s demise was inversely related to Assad’s power. Islamic State’s fortunes decreased as his influence in the country increased.

Equally contrary to analyst predictions, the group imploded right after external support for the “moderate” rebels dried up. The weakening of the rebels was a major setback for Islamic State because Assad could finally focus his firepower on the group. Fewer weapon shipments into the theater, moreover, meant fewer arms fell into the hands of Salafi jihadists.

How strange, then, that we haven’t heard many pundits acknowledge their mistakes; they’re not itching to atone for having almost forced another regime-change mission based on discredited analysis.

Source

Ummm.... I think I disagree with that analysis, TruthSeeker ?

In fact, it seems riddled with classic "strawman arguments"..

Firstly... "the notion that Ssad won't fight Islamic state was wrong".. .well gosh... I don't remember anyone saying that Assad wouldn't fight Islamic State ? Or at least... any more than he would fight ANYONE challenging his rule ?

Secondly... "defeating IS .. also requires defeating .. Assad" .. well.. I don't recall anyone saying THAT either.

Thirdly... "the groups demise was inversly related to Assad's power".. well that may not be a strawmen argument, but it is taking two seperate "facts", and declaring a correlation between them. Sorry my friend, but where is the evidence of that ?

You're going to have to give additional arguments/facts/links, otherwise that is just.. well .. a porridge of assumptions and Strawman arguments (By the LA Times, not yourself).

Warm regards,

Roofgardener :)

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

Off topic - @RoofGardener Just out of curiosity, what are your views on climate change?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Firstly... "the notion that Ssad won't fight Islamic state was wrong".. .well gosh... I don't remember anyone saying that Assad wouldn't fight Islamic State ? Or at least... any more than he would fight ANYONE challenging his rule ?

The West alledged that Assad wouldn't fight ISIS, in fact supported it against the so-called ''moderate rebels''.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/state-syrias-assad-directly-supporting-isis/article/2565466

Secondly... "defeating IS .. also requires defeating .. Assad" .. well.. I don't recall anyone saying THAT either.

(Link) Rubio says US can’t defeat ISIS until Syria's Assad is removed

(Link) The West Must Realize It Cannot Beat ISIS Without Also Beating Assad

(Link) Removing Assad is the best way to defeat Isil in Syria

(LInk) Morell: 'You cannot ultimately defeat ISIS without getting rid of Assad'

ect.

You clearly haven't read the papers in the last few years..

Thirdly... "the groups demise was inversly related to Assad's power".. well that may not be a strawmen argument, but it is taking two seperate "facts", and declaring a correlation between them. Sorry my friend, but where is the evidence of that ?

The Assad governement acts as a rampart against radical Islamism. The regime brings order and stability to territories it controls, while rooting out the Salafist elements posing a threat. When the Syrian Army started gaining ground with Russia's help, ISIS' influence diminished.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 2