Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Death of Net Neutrality

Aquila King

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

addtext_com_MDIzNjE3MTk1ODI.jpg

Corporations run the government by buying politicians, use the government to boost profits and thereby screw over average folks, then feed propaganda to the masses about the 'evils of the federal government', convincing millions that the cause of all their woes is government control, when in reality it's corporate control of the government.

Not trying to be condescending but you could not be more wrong.

Government MAKES the laws. Corps have to abide by them. Consequently, the Corps have to play a game....they grease the palms of both parties. 

Freedom is allowi g the market place to work.  When regulations begin to kill competition...thats a bad thing. Regulations should be reserved for things like protection in the work place and preserving the water and air we all breath.

• Like 3

I wish I knew as much as I did in my teens and 20's.

A few of us will understand....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joc said:

It s what it is....there are ways around that...without the Fed ruling over it

Deep packet inspection and packet prioritization / denial are basically the core of what the issue is.

Everything else stems from that.

1 hour ago, Tiggs said:

Deep packet inspection and packet prioritization / denial are basically the core of what the issue is.

Everything else stems from that.

I could google that and pretend I know what you are talking about...but I am just too tired.  A Christmas Party and then dealing with these stupid Guineas that want to go to sleep on top of the fence in the cold rain...when they could have just gone in the chicken coop where it is dry and heated....I used to think there was no animal stupider than a cow...until I had Guineas!

3 hours ago, joc said:

Not trying to be condescending but you could not be more wrong.

I am trying to be condescending when I say that there's a clear reason why you ignored my previous points, because you can't refute them, and you clearly aren't thinking past the end of your Fox News talking points. I challenge you to think for yourself for a change and not just repeat the same drivel you heard on conservative talk radio without having a bloomin' clue what you're talking about. You're just asserting things while ignoring my argument. Which really it isn't even an argument as much as it is a well-established fact.

3 hours ago, joc said:

Government MAKES the laws. Corps have to abide by them. Consequently, the Corps have to play a game....they grease the palms of both parties. 

Government MAKES the laws that benefit the corporations, because the government politicians are put in their position by the corporation's money financing their campaigns. No money, no campaign victory. Therefore the deal is made. Corp pays politician, politician makes laws that benefit corp. It's as simple as that.

3 hours ago, joc said:

Freedom is allowi g the market place to work.  When regulations begin to kill competition...thats a bad thing. Regulations should be reserved for things like protection in the work place and preserving the water and air we all breath.

Ending Net Neutrality is what kills competition you dingbat. Now your competitors can slow down the internet speed to your website, thereby incentivizing web traffic to stay forever on your competitor's site and not yours. It literally kills competition.

What the people who have indoctrinated you at Fox News or wherever actually mean by 'allow the marketplace to work', is to allow the marketplace to take total dominance and unchecked control, killing competitors and boosting profits by any means necessary.

Money-making machines are not the arbiters of good. Haven't you ever heard that 'money is the root of all evil?'

6 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I am trying to be condescending when I say that there's a clear reason why you ignored my previous points, because you can't refute them, and you clearly aren't thinking past the end of your Fox News talking points. I challenge you to think for yourself for a change and not just repeat the same drivel you heard on conservative talk radio without having a bloomin' clue what you're talking about. You're just asserting things while ignoring my argument. Which really it isn't even an argument as much as it is a well-established fact.

Government MAKES the laws that benefit the corporations, because the government politicians are put in their position by the corporation's money financing their campaigns. No money, no campaign victory. Therefore the deal is made. Corp pays politician, politician makes laws that benefit corp. It's as simple as that.

Ending Net Neutrality is what kills competition you dingbat. Now your competitors can slow down the internet speed to your website, thereby incentivizing web traffic to stay forever on your competitor's site and not yours. It literally kills competition.

What the people who have indoctrinated you at Fox News or wherever actually mean by 'allow the marketplace to work', is to allow the marketplace to take total dominance and unchecked control, killing competitors and boosting profits by any means necessary.

Money-making machines are not the arbiters of good. Haven't you ever heard that 'money is the root of all evil?'

Go ahead and be condescending...but you don't have a clue what you are talking about.  Not a clue sir! Sad but true!

...and I don't watch Fox News....pffft...I haven't had a Television for many years....I don't even own a TV

Edited by joc

1 minute ago, joc said:

Go ahead and be condescending...but you don't have a clue what you are talking about.  Not a clue sir! Sad but true!

...and I don't watch Fox News....pffft...I haven't had a Television for many years....I don't even own a TV

Care to prove me wrong rather then throw out blind assertions?

13 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Care to prove me wrong rather then throw out blind assertions?

You've done enough to prove yourself wrong...all by yourself...you don't need my help.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I would suggest a good place for you to start would be at a local college...maybe enroll in...I dunno...Economics 101 for starters.

12 minutes ago, joc said:

You've done enough to prove yourself wrong...all by yourself...you don't need my help.

8 minutes ago, joc said:

I would suggest a good place for you to start would be at a local college...maybe enroll in...I dunno...Economics 101 for starters.

So basically, you can't prove me wrong and only have blind assertions, and then you resort to ad hominem attacks since you have no substantive argument.

*sigh*

Very well. I got my point across. Anyway, since I stand by the fact that Trump supporters have nothing good to add to my life, on to the ignore list you go.

Just now, Aquila King said:

So basically, you can't prove me wrong and only have blind assertions, and then you resort to ad hominem attacks since you have no substantive argument.

*sigh*

Very well. I got my point across. Anyway, since I stand by the fact that Trump supporters have nothing good to add to my life, on to the ignore list you go.

Thank you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joc said:

I could google that and pretend I know what you are talking about...but I am just too tired. 

I hear you. It's not easy explaining what the issue is, when it's technically based.

Net Neutrality is like the fourth amendment for internet traffic, basically. Stops ISP's from searching through your stuff and confiscating things it doesn't want you to have (or slowing it down on purpose).

6 hours ago, joc said:

A Christmas Party and then dealing with these stupid Guineas that want to go to sleep on top of the fence in the cold rain...when they could have just gone in the chicken coop where it is dry and heated....I used to think there was no animal stupider than a cow...until I had Guineas!

Ugh. That doesn't sound fun, at all.

4 hours ago, Tiggs said:

I hear you. It's not easy explaining what the issue is, when it's technically based.

Net Neutrality is like the fourth amendment for internet traffic, basically. Stops ISP's from searching through your stuff and confiscating things it doesn't want you to have (or slowing it down on purpose).

Ugh. That doesn't sound fun, at all.

But apparently NN didn't stop them from doing that....so what good was it?  I know that when I do a google search for anything....example: Fender Guitar....it doesn't matter where I am on the internet after that...I am inundated with Fender Guitar adds.   So, if NN was supposed to keep that from happening....it didn't.

14 hours ago, Michelle said:

I wish I knew as much as I did in my teens and 20's.

A few of us will understand....

I wouldn't go the age route.....

Iowa (and the US) has a big problem with people scamming the elderly:  https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2016/05/30/iowas-elderly-lose-savings-scams/85152634/

The big two here and contractors and telephone scammers.  It seems that wisdom does not always come with age.  In fact the University of Iowa did a study and found interesting things about age and scams: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-its-so-easy-to-scam-old-people-2012-8

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joc said:

But apparently NN didn't stop them from doing that....so what good was it?  I know that when I do a google search for anything....example: Fender Guitar....it doesn't matter where I am on the internet after that...I am inundated with Fender Guitar adds.   So, if NN was supposed to keep that from happening....it didn't.

That's a Google ad network thing, rather than an ISP thing.

Some details of how to opt out of that, here.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tiggs said:

That's a Google ad network thing, rather than an ISP thing.

Some details of how to opt out of that, here.

How long have ISPs been doing such things?

1 hour ago, joc said:

How long have ISPs been doing such things?

Comcast's been caught injecting pop up ads selling modems into their users web pages already.

Repealing Net Neutrality will allow them (and other ISP's) to do much more targeted ad injection -- whether you use Google, or not.

50 minutes ago, Tiggs said:

Comcast's been caught injecting pop up ads selling modems into their users web pages already.

Repealing Net Neutrality will allow them (and other ISP's) to do much more targeted ad injection -- whether you use Google, or not.

Market place will figure it out!

3 minutes ago, joc said:

Market place will figure it out!

Normally, that'd be a decent bet.

Barrier to entry here, however, is restrictively high, given the infrastructure costs involved in physically getting cable to each house you want to supply to.

It's not like everyone's Gran is going to set up an ISP as a side business.

9 minutes ago, Tiggs said:

Normally, that'd be a decent bet.

Barrier to entry here, however, is restrictively high, given the infrastructure costs involved in physically getting cable to each house you want to supply to.

It's not like everyone's Gran is going to set up an ISP as a side business.

One thing that does tick me off about the internet is like...when I click on links from the drudge report...or anything really on my phone...there are so many highlighted thisers and thaters...it makes it very hard to navigate the page without a zillion popups appearing.  Are those from the ISP?

2 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Sounds like you first need to clear and clean your browser.

^^ What F3SS said.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joc said:

One thing that does tick me off about the internet is like...when I click on links from the drudge report...or anything really on my phone...there are so many highlighted thisers and thaters...it makes it very hard to navigate the page without a zillion popups appearing.  Are those from the ISP?

Popups could also come from the Drudge Report, not just a browser that needs to be cleaned.  They get paid to host pop-up ads.  But, it also seems that you think ads and things are key things behind net neutrality.  Net neutrality has very little to do with ads.  So, you say you like the Drudge Report?  Well, lets say your ISP doesn't.  They can now basically block you from viewing it.  THAT is net neutrality.  

On 12/17/2017 at 11:28 AM, Gromdor said:

I wouldn't go the age route.....

Iowa (and the US) has a big problem with people scamming the elderly:  https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2016/05/30/iowas-elderly-lose-savings-scams/85152634/

The big two here and contractors and telephone scammers.  It seems that wisdom does not always come with age.  In fact the University of Iowa did a study and found interesting things about age and scams: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-its-so-easy-to-scam-old-people-2012-8

Fortunately, there is a huge span between hubris and dementia. :P 

9 hours ago, Agent0range said:

Popups could also come from the Drudge Report, not just a browser that needs to be cleaned.  They get paid to host pop-up ads.  But, it also seems that you think ads and things are key things behind net neutrality.  Net neutrality has very little to do with ads.  So, you say you like the Drudge Report?  Well, lets say your ISP doesn't.  They can now basically block you from viewing it.  THAT is net neutrality.  

I still maintain that it is best to have the market place take care of things rather than an ever reaching into our lives Federal Government.