Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to deal with gullible believers?

Fila

3 hours ago, Fila said:

Well the university I attend had an introductory course that lasted 3 months.., designed to help you understand research procedure, how to use databases and look at information objectively.., and to argue both sides in order to form a conclusion..,

well your other threads havent followed that learning strategy have they?

• Like 1

@Fila

It is so easy to assume gullible is wrong. But remember that is your perception. 

Gullible might simply mean innocent being influenced- and no amount of referencing in the world will help that cause once a human being has come to their conclusions (and it makes sense in their heads) you are going to struggle to change that.

Of topic...we all have culture folklore being told..u want to tell me that you can beyond doubt and without any challenge prove that my ancestors really reproduced this for the heck of it? Can you?  

No you can't, for your idea of disproving my facts can be disproven... 

So it's a catch 22. That person who believes it happened to them, u will never.convince different unless u medicate them and call them crazy...then again...u do that u r not proving them wrong...u are simply allowing society to believe they are crazy so that the 'normal ones'can have peace?

And what if I tell you that I have been abducted...how will you prove me wrong?  By what? Quoting texts out.of books written by people?

And if my husband believes me...does that make him uneducated?  Wow...that's a leap...

I believe that people telling they were abducted really believe what they are saying. Not relevant if I believe them...for them that is their reality ( how scary that must be). And since reality is relative one has to ponder the possibility... 

Edited by DebDandelion
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Fila said:

Anyway, what do you think?

That a lot of credible believers are what you call gullible.

4 hours ago, Fila said:

Well the university I attend had an introductory course that lasted 3 months.., designed to help you understand research procedure, how to use databases and look at information objectively.., and to argue both sides in order to form a conclusion.., and when NOT to form a conclusion based on little to no research.

This has proven to be beneficial for students.., even allowing dyslexic people to participle with amazing results.

I am sure that it did a good job of making the material available.  Keep in mind, this is a class you took, something you wanted to learn, something you valued.  That is what having an open mind and learning is about.  You can't force people to take that class nor accept the material.  Not everybody wants the the liability of an open mind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Timonthy said:

What’s your opinion on the whole ET/UFO thing? You’re posting a lot of annoying threads. 

Not trying to be rude but you are kind spamming the forum so I want to know your sincere take on the whole thing. 

Just cause you find someone's subject matter personally 'annoying' does not make it spam.

Sounds like you're trying to stifle content you simply disagree with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

God's not going to answer us in an internet post.

You just never know.  On a cold clear morning in the eastern Oregon high desert, out of the frosty blue She said to me, "How would you believe yourself if I ever did speak to you?"  Wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for, but hey it sure was true.

If I had been more gullible or had an open mind, we might have had a heckuva conversation. It took all the logic I could muster to write it off as the wind in the junipers and sagebrush.  

For an instant there, I was on the knife's edge, almost a believer.  It was an awesome feeling, I can see why some people sink themselves into gods, spirits, UFOs, ESP, and Scientology.  Generates nearly as much endorphin as sex.  After a decade or so, there is still a little chunk of me that smiles at the memory of that bright morning and clings to that dawn like the keepsake from a vanished lover.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Piney said:

I'm 49 years old. Doing what I want to do. Living the way I want to live. I'm a logger and mechanic for a old fashion Pine Barren sawmill and 6th generation farm.

I learned to control my temper in a gyppo sawmill.  I got mad at a stubborn bolt and threw our biggest wrench on the floor.  It bounced into the log pond.  I had to put on a rubberized suit and go in and feel around with my feet until I found it.  The suit leaked, I was wet and freezing cold and I still had to fix the log lift before I could eat dinner.  Good lesson.

• Like 5

I suppose, in it's own way, God may answer you in an internet forum.

It just depends how you take it.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Fila said:

One idea is to give them basic College / university training on how to source credible information. There are set guidelines and protocol which prevent me from using unreliable sources as a form of evidence. 

I suppose you could use an idiot sheet.  Don't think that would get banned.

53 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Just cause you find someone's subject matter personally 'annoying' does not make it spam.

Sounds like you're trying to stifle content you simply disagree with.

No, just the way that @Fila has posted multiple competing threads on the same or similar subjects, felt spammy to me.  

They have posted threads supporting different sides of the argument and I haven’t chosen whether I agree, or disagree, or something in the middle yet. 

Hence why I’m asking their opinion. I want to know their motive, if any. And I said it annoyed me because I found it annoying. Of course yes just my personal opinion, whether right or wrong. But I wanted to be frank as it will save mine and @Fila‘s time.  

• Like 3

On 15/12/2017 at 0:37 PM, Piney said:

I'm 49 years old. Doing what I want to do. Living the way I want to live. I'm a logger and mechanic for a old fashion Pine Barren sawmill and 6th generation farm. That's when I'm not messing with horses for a ranch. I live in a 2013 camper I can park all over the Pine Barrens because of the mills reputation for honest employees who don't harm property and I can drag it to Texas or Nebraska to work livestock for friends.  I'm too old and too happy.

Damn man, you actually sound like a bit of a legend. A dying breed of men. Being a mechanic would do my head in so much, they just seem so complicated. That life sounds so amazing, That's the way I want to live too. I imagined the whole thing in my head as I was reading (what we see in yr movies). America sounds like a great place to live hey.

Edited by Fila
  • Like 3

On 15/12/2017 at 2:13 PM, Aquila King said:

@Fila

I think the best thing to do with the gullible believers is to debunk them yourself, rather than leave them to the 'skeptics'. Because 'skeptics' like to paint with a broad brush and say all believers in the paranormal etc. are gullible, when we aren't. Not all of us anyway.

Besides, there are plenty supposed 'skeptics' who can be just as gullible as any paranormal believer. Rather gullible to believe absolutely everything that comes out of the mouths of the mainstream scientific establishment.

Or trusting '.com' websites to explain credible reports of solid metallic aircraft backed by radar data, trained military personnel (etc) as birds, or a star.., or anything but what was described. Or gullible enough to think planes are tracked by visual satellites.., or backed up by radar even when out at sea or the desert. Or that NASA only stopped going to the moon because 3 people from 3 lectures said it was because NASA said its too dangerous. Or.. ...okay I'll stop now. Sorry guys (bit of an inside joke)

Granted, I will give them that there seems to be far more gullible people on our side then theirs,

I'm starting to think they are catching up...

Granted, I will give them that there seems to be far more gullible people on our side then theirs, but in order to show ourselves to be truly credible, we have to take it upon ourselves to go out and debunk any false claims that are made in support of our position. It's imperative that we do so as to show that we aren't all gullible as they claim us to be.

Yes! And just to keep it simple... Don't we all just want to look up really interesting topics? Like ghosts, UFOs and all that junk. Its cool, right?

Let's all just enjoy ourselves.., and not argue with each other and choose a side.

When we start looking into this stuff we all know there's a high chance big-foot isn't real.., but let's not be one sided and so instantly dismissive.

However, I can see it's just easier (and more fun) to go with the ridicule, and accept whatever known object fits closets. Some of the UFO memes are quite funny, lol. I love the 'ALIENS' guy with the frizzy hair. I would make fun of sceptics when they are wrong.., but seems kinda cruel to me.

Edited by Fila
  • Like 2

On 15/12/2017 at 3:16 PM, Timonthy said:

What’s your opinion on the whole ET/UFO thing? You’re posting a lot of annoying threads. 

I would really like to understand why most people here seem to be getting REALLY annoyed at me for my threads. I don't understand how my interest can offend so many people. But I am willing to make it a priority to sort this out.

On 15/12/2017 at 3:16 PM, Timonthy said:

Not trying to be rude but you are kind spamming the forum so I want to know your sincere take on the whole thing. 

I did a quick re-check. I do not believe I am "spamming" but I accept anything Admin does with respect.

My stance is neutral. I just want to know what the (yet to be identified) UFOs are.. I believe that there are reputable people who say they have seen something as strange as they described.., and I believe its only right to look into the matter fairly on behalf of the witness.., not as someone who just wants to prove them wrong (for some reason) I am genuinely interested.

Even if it turns out to be some form of mental disorder that makes army personnel, police, politicians, scientists, astronomers, (and more) infrequently hallucinate alien ships.., I think this is a HUGE problem we should be looking into. I do not want to board a flight to visit beautiful America.., only to have some pilot hallucinate a mothership approaching at high speed.., so he takes evasive action and MH-370's the plane into the ocean.

Or have a police officer suddenly hallucinate aliens attacking, so he draws his weapon and starts shooting at civilians. They should be stood down from their roles.

Basically. I don't care what it takes. or what the outcome is. I want to find out.

Edited by Fila
  • Like 2

On 15/12/2017 at 3:39 PM, seeder said:

well your other threads havent followed that learning strategy have they?

Each time you make one of these statements.., I ask you to show me where.
Each time you ignore me.., and just attack again.

Just because you keep repeating something (without substance) does not make it true.

On 15/12/2017 at 4:04 PM, papageorge1 said:

That a lot of credible believers are what you call gullible.

This was established in the original post (#1)

When I asked "What do you think".., this was in context to the gullible believers.., and what do you think about trying to come up with ways to help them sort through information objectively.

8 hours ago, Fila said:

OMG, you must watch this video of a ET craft visiting Earth!! -- 100% REAL NO FAKE -- MUST WATCH. 2017 Disclosure!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!!  et c etc, lol

Don't we all just loathe hearing about the Andromeda council, reptilian overlords shapeshifting into Presidents / queens, while Nibiru draws closer each year. All it takes it $6000 to do a course and you can communicate telepathically with them (for some reason)  and if you don't believe, then wake up you sheeple, (lol,classic)

Even people being convinced a flock of birds are obviously ET's coming to save us from Nuke's or whatever.

i am not the type of person to get angry at someone who is not smarter than me.., is having trouble understanding something.., or just plain gullible.

I don't know why, call me crazy. But I don't get jollies from looking down at others.., and I actually want to help people.

For those who think the same way.., I thought it might be a good idea to discuss possible options to help educate these types of people.

One idea is to give them basic College / university training on how to source credible information. There are set guidelines and protocol which prevent me from using unreliable sources as a form of evidence. 

Whenever I make a claim., I must back it up with a source. (I cannot say planes are always tracked, without proof they are tracked)

Anyway, what do you think?

If you don't believe in aliens, it doesn't mean they are not real. I did not said that all things are true but Baba Vanga said there is aliens.

Turn their gullibility into something positive, I'm sure quite a few are willing to part with their money.

• Like 3

On 15/12/2017 at 7:43 PM, Rlyeh said:

Turn their gullibility into something positive, I'm sure quite a few are willing to part with their money.

The thread topic asks like minded people who want to help positively to come up with ideas and help.

Edited by Fila

Just now, Fila said:

The thread topic asks like minded people who wanted to help positively to come up with ideas to help them.

They're beyond help.

• Like 2

On 15/12/2017 at 7:51 PM, Rlyeh said:

They're beyond help.

I disagree. Unless you wish to back up this claim I thank you for your time and input.

Edited by Fila
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fila said:

I disagree. Unless you wish to back up this claim I thank you for your time and input.

Enjoy wasting your time on people who can't be reasoned with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fila said:

I would really like to understand why most people here seem to be getting REALLY annoyed at me for my threads. I don't understand how my interest can offend so many people. But I am willing to make it a priority to sort this out.

I did a quick re-check. I do not believe I am "spamming" but I accept anything Admin does with respect.

My stance is neutral. I just want to know what the (yet to be identified) UFOs are.. I believe that there are reputable people who say they have seen something as strange as they described.., and I believe its only right to look into the matter fairly on behalf of the witness.., not as someone who just wants to prove them wrong (for some reason) I am genuinely interested.

Even if it turns out to be some form of mental disorder that makes army personnel, police, politicians, scientists, astronomers, (and more) infrequently hallucinate alien ships.., I think this is a HUGE problem we should be looking into. I do not want to board a flight to visit beautiful America.., only to have some pilot hallucinate a mothership approaching at high speed.., so he takes evasive action and MH-370's the plane into the ocean.

Or have a police officer suddenly hallucinate aliens attacking, so he draws his weapon and starts shooting at civilians. They should be stood down from their roles.

Basically. I don't care what it takes. or what the outcome is. I want to find out.

Logic would suggest that everyone that enters and participates (and has in the past) in discussions on a forum called "Unexplained Mysteries" wants to believe in the supernatural. Also, this belief has to be supported by solid evidence, otherwise forget it.  I'm sure everyone would love to know that SETI has undeniable proof of a civilisation living in another solar system.  So your interest is shared by many, hence the reason people may come across as bored, annoyed and hostile because you're not really bringing anything new to the table.

There ya go and I wont even charge you for this precious advice.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fila said:

Damn man, you actually sound like a bit of a legend. A dying breed of men. Being a mechanic would do my head in so much, they just seem so complicated. That life sounds so amazing, That's the way I want to live too. I imagined the whole thing in my head as I was reading (what we see in yr movies). America sounds like a great place to live hey.

Old fashion equipment is easy to systemize. Not much too it. I kind of fell into this lifestyle. I was a artist and designer who owned my ancestral farm until I went to prison. Lost everything and nobody wants a "violent felon" around.

Edited by Piney
typo- need coffee
  • Like 2

On 15/12/2017 at 8:57 PM, Black Red Devil said:

Logic would suggest that everyone that enters and participates (and has in the past) in discussions on a forum called "Unexplained Mysteries" wants to believe in the supernatural. Also, this belief has to be supported by solid evidence, otherwise forget it.

But its a discussion forum. Not a "can only post new evidence" forum. This means anyone new to the subject.., will be pushed away from this site by you because they "did not contribute anything new".

On 15/12/2017 at 8:57 PM, Black Red Devil said:

I'm sure everyone would love to know that SETI has undeniable proof of a civilisation living in another solar system.  So your interest is shared by many, hence the reason people may come across as bored, annoyed and hostile because you're not really bringing anything new to the table.

There ya go and I wont even charge you for this precious advice.

That can explain the boredom. But I still fail to see how anger is produced by someone new becomming interested in UFOs.., (or in my case, not new but interested in finding new avenues and discussions)

• Like 1

It depends on if they want an actual discussion or just something to confirm their beliefs. We get a few who come in and open a good dialog about a subject. They tend to be open to ideas and view points. Sometimes they stay, sometimes they leave. Then you get the majority who only want someone to agree with them. Even when you show them what is or might actually be going on. They will fight against it. You get nowhere with them. Then we have the occasional crazy that pops in, those are the fun threads.

• Like 2