Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christmas is Canceled in Jerusalem

Kenemet

BECAUSE OF TRUMP, JESUS'S HOMETOWN, NAZARETH, IS CANCELING CHRISTMAS

Nazareth, the mostly Muslim town in current-day Israel where Christians believe Jesus Christ was raised, canceled all Christmas celebrations this year, saying that President Donald Trump had taken the joy out of the holiday.

The decision by Mayor Ali Salam to cancel festivities was made in protest of Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, a move the Muslim mayor, who once compared himself to Trump, found offensive.

Newsweek source: http://www.newsweek.com/trump-jesus-nazareth-christmas-cancelled-748736

I found the title very odd and went to check other sources.  It seems that this is NOT fake news or a hoax.  He is really angry over Trump's policies and really did cancel Christmas festivities.

The Hill:  http://www.newsweek.com/trump-jesus-nazareth-christmas-cancelled-748736

• Like 3

No tourist money for YOU this year!  :P

Actually, any Christian that would go to that part of the world for any reason at all needs to get their head examined. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AnchorSteam said:

No tourist money for YOU this year!  :P

Actually, any Christian that would go to that part of the world for any reason at all needs to get their head examined. 

Aside from the hundreds of thousands already living there? 

(Because, no, believe it or not, Jesus was not American. Shocking, I know.) 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Setton said:

Aside from the hundreds of thousands already living there? 

(Because, no, believe it or not, Jesus was not American. Shocking, I know.) 

No ... surely not Hollywood Jesus ...

~

• Like 2

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

No ... surely not Hollywood Jesus ...

~

CAUCASIAN JESUS!!!!!

Blonde-Hair-Blue-Eyed-Jesus-728x803.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Piney said:

CAUCASIAN JESUS!!!!!

Hippy Jesus ... needs a haircut and a shave ... no wonder the Romans weren't impressed ...

~

• Like 1

I understand where Caucasian, long haired Jesus comes from, the people of the Renaissance applied then current design sensibilities to pictures of Jesus, as people did to pretty much anything historical up in those primitive times (compare pictures of the Virgin Mary in German Peasant Dress, Medieval illustrations of Alexander the Great's travels featuring knights in armour etc etc etc.) 

But how the **** did "Blond, Blue Eyed Aryan Jesus" become a thing?

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I understand where Caucasian, long haired Jesus comes from, the people of the Renaissance applied then current design sensibilities to pictures of Jesus, as people did to pretty much anything historical up in those primitive times (compare pictures of the Virgin Mary in German Peasant Dress, Medieval illustrations of Alexander the Great's travels featuring knights in armour etc etc etc.) 

But how the **** did "Blond, Blue Eyed Aryan Jesus" become a thing?

Mormonism promotes the "real" jews were blond haired and blue eyed. I remember my older sister ( not my step sister), who was a well known Native American activist had a copy of their book and all the good guys were blond/blue ( including Jesus) and all the bad guys black haired/tan skin in pictures. The same went with Tolkien ( good-fair/ bad-dark). It became the American image for some odd reason.

• Like 4

Unbelievable. Trump actually ruined Christmas in Jerusalem.

For some reason I laughed. I mean there's just not bottom to this pit and, as the saying goes, if you couldn't laugh, you'd cry.

• Like 2

Trump didnt ruin it, the mayor, who had a hissy fit/tantrum and cancelled it, despite all the people who had planned, possibly for months or a year for festivities, rehearsed and laid money out for and who possibly counts on supplimenting tourist income. He's the guilty party here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Mormonism promotes the "real" jews were blond haired and blue eyed. I remember my older sister ( not my step sister), who was a well known Native American activist had a copy of their book and all the good guys were blond/blue ( including Jesus) and all the bad guys black haired/tan skin in pictures. The same went with Tolkien ( good-fair/ bad-dark). It became the American image for some odd reason.

So it is an American thing? Aha, didn't know that the Mormons had so much influence on main-stream Christianity in the US, but interesting to know! I mean Europe isn't that much better in this regard, but at least good old Jesus is a brunette here (most of the time).

Don't wanna start a debate about Tolkien here, but his, from a modern POV unfortunate choice of heroes and villains wasn't racially motivated, but more because he was basically writing Edda and Beowulf fanfiction and was aiming to imitate their tone, themes and choice of words.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Unbelievable. Trump actually ruined Christmas in Jerusalem.

Really?     This mayor is a moron for cancelling all the festivities.   He needs to get over it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Really?     This mayor is a moron for cancelling all the festivities.   He needs to get over it.  

Yeah, you're right. It's a sort-of Bah Humbug, throwing the toys out the pram moment. But that it is a direct result of Trump's recognition cannot be denied.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

Strange situation: A Muslim mayor cancelling a Christian holiday in a majority-Jewish nation.  

• Like 1

There is also the matter of heightened security issues ... a magnet for unwarranted extremist attention ...

~

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Strange situation: A Muslim mayor cancelling a Christian holiday in a majority-Jewish nation.  

Jerusalem isn't part of Israel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Jerusalem isn't part of Israel.

I'm not sure what you mean. The Mayor is cancelling Christmas festivities in Nazareth, not Jerusalem.

9 minutes ago, simplybill said:

I'm not sure what you mean. The Mayor is cancelling Christmas festivities in Nazareth, not Jerusalem.

You're right, my bad. I had thought the article was about Jerusalem.

tenor.gif

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, simplybill said:

Correct, but Nazareth itself is majority Muslim and Christian. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Correct, but Nazareth itself is majority Muslim and Christian. 

The opening line of the Newsweek article mentions a Muslim majority: "Nazareth, the mostly Muslim town in current-day Israel where Christians believe Jesus Christ was raised, canceled all Christmas celebrations this year, saying that President Donald Trump had taken the joy out of the holiday." 

The author of the article (Cristina Maza) appears to be putting some spin on the story, as evidenced by the article's title: "Because of Trump, Jesus's Hometown, Nazareth, Is Canceling Christmas". Technically, the cancellation was the decision of Mayor Ali Salam.

• Like 1

A Muslim majority town canceling Christmas "because of Trump"? lol Islam is the Grinch of the religious community. We all know the story:

"For whatever the reason, his heart or his shoes, the Mayor sat in his Mosque, hating the Jews."

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, simplybill said:

The opening line of the Newsweek article mentions a Muslim majority:

70% actually.

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yeah, you're right. It's a sort-of Bah Humbug, throwing the toys out the pram moment. But that it is a direct result of Trump's recognition cannot be denied.

So if I cancelled all Christmas festivities for my family because I said Trumps tax plan takes the joy out of it for me, who would be the one to blame?   I'd say it would be one me for being an idiot.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

So if I cancelled all Christmas festivities for my family because I said Trumps tax plan takes the joy out of it for me, who would be the one to blame?   I'd say it would be one me for being an idiot.

In my defence I thought the guy was the mayor of Jerusalem, which would have made it far more relevant. So, just this once ;), I'm the idiot of the story.

• Like 5