Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glowing trees could replace street lights

UM-Bot

This is a really cool idea...

However, this process raises some problems... Mainly, how would this work for trees, when they shed leaves? Would they have to bring people in to reignite the light come spring? What about Fall/Winter then, would we have to go back to street lamps?

The fact that they aren't trying to genetically modify it (as shown by the video) really shows how limited this is right now. Hopefully they'll be able to work things out, but so far I'm not that impressed with how they're going with this cool idea.

• Like 1

Look fun but we will have glowing stream, river and sea when the particle will wash out from dead leaves and all. It will accumulate in the food chain and we will see glowing animals but the first will be caterpillar and moth...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 3

I dont know. Messing with nature so that it suits us can sometimes have adverse effects. ^^^  And what about insect populations that inhabit the trees and sometimes eat the leaves ect

Edited by khol
  • Like 3

Personally, I think solar powered lights should be the way to go. I have some small domestic garden lights that last all night on a tiny photovoltaic cell even when there�s has not been much sun. They must be able to upscale to street lights. Much better than tampering with nature in this way.

• Like 3

On 12/16/2017 at 6:47 PM, Susanc241 said:

Personally, I think solar powered lights should be the way to go. I have some small domestic garden lights that last all night on a tiny photovoltaic cell even when there�s has not been much sun. They must be able to upscale to street lights. Much better than tampering with nature in this way.

Yeah, you're right. Solar energy is free and unlimited. No one bother to harvest

• Like 3

On 12/16/2017 at 6:01 AM, MySummerJob said:

This is a really cool idea...

However, this process raises some problems... Mainly, how would this work for trees, when they shed leaves? Would they have to bring people in to reignite the light come spring? What about Fall/Winter then, would we have to go back to street lamps?

The fact that they aren't trying to genetically modify it (as shown by the video) really shows how limited this is right now. Hopefully they'll be able to work things out, but so far I'm not that impressed with how they're going with this cool idea.

I love this idea! And it would have to be an evergreen of course. Otherwise wouldn't the nanoparticles just fall off anyways? I would say this is a much better means than genetic modification it sounds a little more environmentally safe and the process is already worked out.

i do not like the idea, we have no idea how nano particles will affect trees,

There are almost no publications on the effects of engineered nanoparticles on animals and plants in the environment.

However, a number studies have examined the uptake and effects of nanoparticles at a cellular level to evaluate their impact on humans; it can reasonably be assumed that the conclusions of these studies may be extrapolated to other species, but more research is needed to confirm this assumption. Moreover, careful examination and interpretation of existing data and careful planning of new research is required to establish the true impact of nanoparticles on the environment, and the differences with larger, conventional forms of the substances.

Persistent insoluble nanoparticles may cause problems in the environment that are much greater than those revealed by human health assessments.

https://copublications.greenfacts.org/en/nanotechnologies/l-2/6-ealth-effects-nanoparticles.htm

why don't we just use our new efficient oeld lights instead.

• Like 3

Its ok as a project of fundamental research but it would be a big mess for our, and the animal`s as well, environment. Light pollution is a problem already that makes birds and insects mad. And I think nanoparticles will become a serious problem in future if we dont stop to bring them into our environment and so into our food chains as well.

• Like 4

N. Tesla showed us 100 years ago how to turn night into day, it was bad idea then and it is bad idea now, natural world relies on changes (day night) some animals are active at night some during the day. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aztek said:

N. Tesla showed us 100 years ago how to turn night into day, it was bad idea then and it is bad idea now, natural world relies on changes (day night) some animals are active at night some during the day. 

I think the trees only turn on during the night ;)

Just now, taniwha said:

I think the trees only turn on during the night ;)

yea, i kinda figured that , that is why i said it is bad idea to disrupt natural cycles. as in turning night into day.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aztek said:

yea, i kinda figured that , that is why i said it is bad idea to disrupt natural cycles. as in turning night into day.  

Circadian rhythms. That clock should not be disrupted in any organism. Including trees.

• Like 4

What about all the nocturnal creatures that like to sneak about in the dark, or hide in it. I think somebody watched Avatar one too many times.

Light pollution is already a huge problem. Over the years it has become harder and harder to watch the sky as cities spread. Soon we wont see stars anywhere with the naked eye.

• Like 4

BorizBadinov What the h*ll are you talking about? :) This is not lighting up the whole rainforest in Africa and South America, but lighting up local areas like offices ,parks, one small room etc from plants that are nearby

• Like 1

On 21.12.2017 at 10:35 PM, The Black Ghost said:

And then it was winter and all the leaves died, and hundreds of people got in car accidents.

People seem to get into a lot of car accidents anyway. Yesterday a five year old girl died on the road in west Norway. Even in rather scarcely populated areas it happens often. 

We should ask ourselves why the **** we do not have more developed and safer, greener etc transport systems by now? 

4 hours ago, KibyNykraft4 said:

We should ask ourselves why the **** we do not have more developed and safer, greener etc transport systems by now? 

Cars are a safe transport system, its the drivers who cause accidents.  I would say nearly 50% of all driver`s have no clue about how to handle a vehicle in extreme situations like emergency breaking plus dodging actions.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, KibyNykraft4 said:

BorizBadinov What the h*ll are you talking about? :) This is not lighting up the whole rainforest in Africa and South America, but lighting up local areas like offices ,parks, one small room etc from plants that are nearby

Fair point.

What they are doing right now is enhancing a single plant at a time. What they are talking about doing for future implementations would likely involve genetic manipulation, as in replicating cells so the plant keeps glowing its entire life. While I don't really think glowing plants are all the dangerous to us physically there are forestry implications should these plants be able to reproduce. I realize that's not the case at this very moment, but it is something we need to consider when tweaking nature. Even small changes can have a huge impact to ecosystems. What if these nano particles are eaten by insects who develop some disease from it and are wiped out? What if these insects are required to pollenate another species of plant which then wanes? 

Not stating any of these things WILL happen, just that we should be cautious dealing with nature as we haven't done all that well in the past. That is all I am saying.