Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The forbidden words

Tiggs

3 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Did you read the article?  Some of the CDC's offices specifically use those words:

"At the CDC, several offices have responsibility for work that uses some of these terms. The National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention is working on ways to prevent HIV among transgender people and reduce health disparities. The CDC’s work on birth defects caused by the Zika virus includes research on the developing fetus."

It even has links to applicable web pages.

I personally never read articles from WAPO....FAKE...How is it that you cannot see the incredible bias from main stream media? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joc said:

I personally never read articles from WAPO....FAKE...How is it that you cannot see the incredible bias from main stream media? 

I'd be interested to know where you get your news from.

15 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I'd be interested to know where you get your news from.

I peruse Drudge...so I know pretty much everything that's  out there...I'm so completely aware of the bias of the media...so I know what to and not to believe.

3 hours ago, Tiggs said:

If "evidence-based" and "science-based" are now political words -- then maybe the words aren't the problem, and the politics are.

Politics is the ENTIRE problem!

Political Correctness....political bigotry...political everything

1 hour ago, joc said:

Politics is the ENTIRE problem!

Political Correctness....political bigotry...political everything

One would think that the primary focus of the CDC would be the Control of Disease ... but apparently Politics is much more fun.

If this story  is fake, fine.

If now, time to look into replacing everyone at the CDC who thinks that fighting disease isn't as important as making points with all the right politicians and media Kingpins. 

• Like 1

Hmm, so apparently the words couldn't be used in a budget proposal, the lady who told everyone they couldn't use the words was Alison Kelly, and she said that the orders came from up above.

2 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

One would think that the primary focus of the CDC would be the Control of Disease ... but apparently Politics is much more fun.

If this story  is fake, fine.

If now, time to look into replacing everyone at the CDC who thinks that fighting disease isn't as important as making points with all the right politicians and media Kingpins. 

Everyone at the CDC has to follow the directives of these politicians.  Being a government agency their chain of command goes up to the presidency.  Trump appointed this gal to lead the CDC: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/07/06/trump-administration-to-name-georgia-health-official-as-new-cdc-director/

But she doesn't strike me as someone who do something as silly and petty as banning words though.  The fact that multiple agencies are dropping web sites and banning words/topics makes me think that it comes from a bit higher than her. 

Not much different than "colored people" being a no-no, while "people of color" is perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tiggs said:

"The assertion that HHS has 'banned words' is a complete mischaracterization of discussions regarding the budget formulation process," the HHS statement said.

surprise surprise - 

twiddling around with the use of words in official reports and policy happens all the time -

years ago I was at a meeting connected with health and disability and the term 'brain storming' was deemed to
be unsuitable because of how people with epilepsy might feel -- and 'thought shower' was substituted :mellow:

then we had that thing a little while ago where the term 'Ladies and Gentlemen' was dropped from train and tube
announcements in London (and maybe elsewhere? not sure) and they had to use 'Good Morning Everyone' just in case
those who didn't identify with being male or female felt excluded in some way... .................

just a couple f examples 

• Like 4

IMO the use of the phrase ''' the forbidden words''' is blatantly alarmist in this political climate -
triggering an emotional rather than rational response - (in many) 

Edited by bee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bee said:

IMO the use of the phrase ''' the forbidden words''' is blatantly alarmist in this political climate -

Thus, the phrase "the forbidden words" MUST ALSO be struck from usage.

Everyone..........

When we are done cleansing the world of "inappropriate/offensive" language, there is only one vocal left:

"Gagagaga" ----- baby talk.

18 minutes ago, bee said:

... this political climate -

Hmmm.... sounds EXACTLY like how Trump communicates!

19 hours ago, Tiggs said:

Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden words at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden words are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

So, are they forbiding use of these words because they're (or the first four anyway) favorite words of the Democrat-supporting community, is that what they're saying, even though so many of them have been worn out through over-use (the words, that is) and just reduced to the status of meaningless buzz words? And they're forbidding "science-based" because they don't want to offend the Creationist community, who don't believe in science? Is that what the thinking is? So it's a way of getting at the Demcorats and appeasing Trump's fan base, since the latter, of course, don't believe in science?  

All sounds a bit of a Image result for storm in a teacup, if you ask me. 

• Like 3

And why “fetus”? Do the Creationists, to whom, it would appear from the conspiracy theory that's being constructed, this whole thing is designed to pander, see that as a trigger word? 

48 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Thus, the phrase "the forbidden words" MUST ALSO be struck from usage.

when words are '''weaponized''' it needs to be pointed out --- that's all -- :) 

The first step in destroying freedom of expression is to ban the use of various words.

1 minute ago, bee said:

when words are '''weaponized''' it needs to be pointed out --- that's all -- :) 

I find your premise outrageous, bee.

Weaponized words... oh my God, that is WAY over the top.

3 minutes ago, pallidin said:

The first step in destroying freedom of expression is to ban the use of various words.

like 'Ladies and Gentlemen'........... ? 

or the N word..?

Bee's can sting me, and I find that offensive.

Thus, your name "bee" is offensive and must be changed.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Everyone..........

When we are done cleansing the world of "inappropriate/offensive" language, there is only one vocal left:

"Gagagaga" ----- baby talk.

that would be fun wouldn't it and I expect it would massively strengthen telepathic communication :whistle:

:geek:

8 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Bee's can sting me, and I find that offensive.

Thus, your name "bee" is offensive and must be changed.

I'm not even sure what position you are taking in this thread...? :) 

ETA - my position is that, like Manfred illustrated ... it's a storm in a teacup

and it's being used in such a way to cause damage to Trump - imagine that eh ?
How could that possibly be..?.. How could such a thing happen to the POTUS...
unheard of...!! shocking !!! ^_^ 

Edited by bee
  • Like 2

My position is simple:

Banning words in communication is a direct threat to communication itself.

Tell me, what's wrong with the word "fetus" that it should be banned from CDC writings?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Not much different than "colored people" being a no-no, while "people of color" is perfectly acceptable.

Walter Williams, a Black conservative (for those who don't know), mentioned that in one of his columns. He likened "people of color" (also used in the 1800s) to "jeans of blue" (instead of blue jeans).