Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The family that doesn't feel pain

seeder

The family that doesn't feel pain

Letizia Marsili, 52, first realised she was different when she was very young.

She had a high threshold for pain, which meant she didn't feel burns or notice broken bones. Five other family members are also affected by the condition which means they are insensitive to pain.

Letizia told the BBC: "From day to day we live a very normal life, perhaps better than the rest of the population, because we very rarely get unwell and we hardly feel any pain.

"However, in truth, we do feel pain, the perception of pain, but this only lasts for a few seconds."

Scientists believe the condition could be down to some nerves not reacting properly.

Researchers who studied the family hope their discovery of a gene mutation in family members could help chronic-pain sufferers in the future.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42322225

• Like 5

Interesting.   

• Like 2

I've read about people with this condition before. To not feel pain sounds ideal but in reality it's not good at all, pain lets us know when something is wrong.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2017 at 5:34 PM, Still Waters said:

I've read about people with this condition before. To not feel pain sounds ideal but in reality it's not good at all, pain lets us know when something is wrong.

Exactly! Every parts, every cells of us are made with a purpose

• Like 1

I agree that feeling pain is not a bad thing but why the hell must stuff hurt SOOOOO bad? Corner of a kitchen cupboard door in the back of the head anyone? XD Still remember those times when I dislocated my shoulder. That pain caused me to panic. I would love to have like 75% of their condition. It would be enough that i could just feel that something's not right...damn nerves. To me it really isn't necessary to be able to feel so much pain that you think you're gonna die from it

On 12/17/2017 at 8:36 AM, seeder said:

They are putting this family's strange nerves and genetics to a good use for pain relief of others. I like that. What they will discover, who knows. 

Neurological disorders, surgery and sometimes deep meditation can effect how you react to a pain signal from the neurons to an area of your body.

I get lack of sensation in my feet and hands at times. I can feel pressure but not cold,  heat or pain. 

I broke my foot and only saw the black and blue and swelling. I also noticed when my hands go that way. If I touch a hot oven or pickup a pan from the oven, my skin doesn't get burned with blisters as when I feel pain! 

I think that is how some monks are able to walk on hot coals. 

I'm a weird experimenter because I did the oven thing intentionally. LOL I discovered my skin only became dry where I should have burned and blistered. 

I think my discovery should be shared. I believe that feeling pain actually induces the physical reactions to it. Not feeling pain can slow the physical reactions down! Even if you get a cut and don't feel it, the blood flow from the cut is much slower. 

I believe I've had experience with someone who had this condition, my mother.  I wish I'd known more about it when she was alive so that I could have asked better questions. I used to tease her about it, telling her I thought the reason for it was that she was not of this planet and that she was really a Martian.  I would not say that she felt no pain whatsoever.  There was one major operation that involved her stomach but required going in through the back deflating her lungs.  She did feel that BUT to a much lesser extent that I think normal people.  She was back at work within maybe two days of being released, less than a week after surgery.  One thing that I know she didn't feel at all was a head ache.  She used to ask me to explain how that could possibly feel.  Another thing that mystified her was perception of the atmosphere.  She didn't understand discomfort when there was a "muggy" atmosphere. 

Try to explain to someone the difference of how a headache or high humidity feels to you, it's hard.  One other component in her condition because of this was a HIGH resistance to normal ailments like colds or flu or even childhood disease, no measles, chicken pox nothing.  Never received any childhood vaccinations either.  I could count the number of times she was ever ill on one hand and she lived to be almost 90.