Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Postboxes topped with knitted Nativity scenes

Still Waters

An army of dedicated knitting enthusiasts are spreading festive cheer by topping the postboxes in a seaside town with mini Christmas scenes.

Nearly all the postboxes in Herne Bay on the Kent coast are now adorned with knitted Nativity scenes, Christmas trees and snowmen.

Behind the idea is the Herne Bay Cosy Crew - a local craft group - who for the last three years have worked for as long as two months to produce the adorable decorations. 

This year 26 members took part, producing a total of 31 postbox toppers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5183901/Herne-Bay-postboxes-topped-knitted-Christmas-scenes.html

• Like 3

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

Very few Nativity scenes.

Nice idea.

They're Nativity and Christmas. "Christmas" wouldn't fit in the topic title box and I have found that some members don't like the word shortened to Xmas for some reason, so I avoid that if I can.

11 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I wonder why? It's been shortened like that for centuries X was a sneaky secret way to represent Christ when Christian persecution was at its height.

I've always used both but have been quite surprised in the past at some of the reactions I've had. " It's Christmas, not Xmas" type of comments. I'm not sure what the difference is but I don't want to offend anyone so now I play safe.